First Time to Hershey - - Suggestions? Help? Tips?

silverton_ford

This will be my first Hershey Swap meet.  I am very excited!   My Dad is joining me and it is his first time as well.   A friend of ours goes every year and parks his trailer across from the Green field.  We will be camping in his trailer.   My Dad and I will be flying in from Oregon on Tuesday morning October 8th and heading home Saturday October 12th in the evening.  We attend the Portland Swap meet every year, but I assume Portland is a pea in the ocean compared to Hershey.  

We want to see and experience as much as possible.  We are not bringing a show car, just ourselves and backpacks full of money..... 🙂   Are there any suggestions or tips from experience folks that you could share with me?   

We would like to check out the RM Auction at the Hershey lodge.  How is traffic and parking when trying to attend this event?  Is it best to get a Uber or Taxi?

Edited by silverton_ford (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Steve means go back to the original forum here...

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/120-aaca-eastern-division-national-meet-hershey/

You will probably see other posts come up concerning the biggest event on the East Coast. 

PS, forgot to add. keep your money close to you, it has a habit of leaving quickly in Hershey, as there are so many things that you "JUST HAVE TO HAVE!"

Wayne 

• Like 1

The first question is: 

What cars do you and your dad own??

The second question is:

What are you looking for??

----- Of course, that all changes if you are looking to buy a car -- they are in the car corral -- and sprinkled throughout people's spots in all 4 fields....

For parts, basically, Hershey is for the 1900s thru the 1960s, but it has gotten newer, also....

The chocolate field (in front of Chocolate World) and the Red Field (that wraps old Hershey Stadium) are you BEST fields for parts from the 1900s thru the 1960s....

The Green Field and the Orange Field are "down the road" by the Giant Center -- and they have the "newer" vendors -- so you can't figure a heavy concentration of older parts....

Wear comfortable walking shoes, start each morning at 8:30 sharp, and continue until your just too worn out to continue -- it takes 3 full days to do -- and I mean really D O. Hershey...  Bring a pen and note pad ....

And certainly stop by R C C 74 - 76 to check out my spread of Awesome NEW and N.O.S. parts for the 1930 s -- to the 1960 s / 1970 s......

Have an Awesome time -- and, of course, stop into Chocolate World to get mega pounds of Hershey Chocolates and more -- this is not the week to be on a diet......

See ya' there !!!!!!!!   Yours, Craig.....

Call me -- 516 - 485 -1935, if there is something you need or want that I wouldn't have with me normally -- I'll bring it specifically for you !!!!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mobileparts said:

The first question is: 

What cars do you and your dad own??

The second question is:

What are you looking for??

----- Of course, that all changes if you are looking to buy a car -- they are in the car corral -- and sprinkled throughout people's spots in all 4 fields....

For parts, basically, Hershey is for the 1900s thru the 1960s, but it has gotten newer, also....

The chocolate field (in front of Chocolate World) and the Red Field (that wraps old Hershey Stadium) are you BEST fields for parts from the 1900s thru the 1960s....

The Green Field and the Orange Field are "down the road" by the Giant Center -- and they have the "newer" vendors -- so you can't figure a heavy concentration of older parts....

Wear comfortable walking shoes, start each morning at 8:30 sharp, and continue until your just too worn out to continue -- it takes 3 full days to do -- and I mean really D O. Hershey...  Bring a pen and note pad ....

And certainly stop by R C C 74 - 76 to check out my spread of Awesome NEW and N.O.S. parts for the 1930 s -- to the 1960 s / 1970 s......

Have an Awesome time -- and, of course, stop into Chocolate World to get mega pounds of Hershey Chocolates and more -- this is not the week to be on a diet......

See ya' there !!!!!!!!   Yours, Craig.....

Call me -- 516 - 485 -1935, if there is something you need or want that I wouldn't have with me normally -- I'll bring it specifically for you !!!!!!

Craig, Thank you for your response!

I am looking for 1920's-1930's Lincoln parts, 1930 Model A parts, 1957 T-bird parts, 1965/6 Mustang parts, 1960's Bronco parts and 1969 Fairlane 428CJ Cobra parts..........basically anything older than 1969 and Ford.  Nothing new.   That is great to know that the orange field is newer stuff.

I have been going to swap meets for 25+ years, so basic swap meet criteria is understood....cash, backpack, umbrella, rain gear, comfortable shoes and the like.  🙂     

Why start so late in the morning?  8:30 feels way too late??  I get up at 5:00am or earlier on swap meet days.  

Other than the Car show, RM auction and the High Wheeler event, are there any other events that are a must check out?   Any parties to check out?  Do any of the big automotive companies have special events or attractions to see?

Thank you, Brian

Edited by silverton_ford (see edit history)

Saying there is no old stuff in one field over another is wrong.... unless you have been set up forever you get the space you get. I know the people around us in the Orange field have lots of old car stuff. The directory will give you a great guide but honestly just walk around and enjoy. It is a great time for sure.

oh and grab an apple cider. It is a perfect treat during the day.

Edited by ClayDBH
Misspelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Silverton Ford,

I DO plenty of car shows where I am open 7 A. M. -- to 7 P. M.

I am not a wimp -- and I applaud you oldcarfan, I am willing to be open at

7 A.M. -- but there are just NOT any people walking around that early anymore.... On Wednesday morning, when I am still finishing my setting up,

I WILL be "open" at 7:00 A.M. (but I will be pretty lonely until about 8:30 !!!)

You can try earlier, but be prepared then to "retrace" your steps....

In the OLD DAYS -- you bet your bippy I was open 7 A.M. to 7 P.M.

Most of the 20's to 30's Lincoln parts will be in the Chocolate Field, a few in the Red Field -- and Green and Orange Field people will have to tell you that they would (but probably not...)

I have some GLORIOUS Ford and some Unbelievable N.O.S. Mustang parts -- that should have been already gobbled up years ago!!

I unearthed a case of 24 last year -- 15 sold, 9 remaining of N.O.S. O.E.M. FOMOCO 1964 - 1966 Mustang Head Light Switches !!!!!! I also have 4 or 5 remaining N.O.R.S. 1967 - 1969 Mustang Head Light Switches....

I have about 8 remaining N.O.S. O.E.M. ++ FOMOCO ++ 1964 - 1969 Mustang 10" x 2 1/4" Front HUB & DRUM Assemblies !!!! I wasn't going to bring any this year -- unless you let me know you want a pair....

I have one (1) last FEL PRO U.S.A. 289 / 302 Full Set of Gaskets --

N.O.S. when they were ONLY U.S.A. made -- I wasn't bringing them -- but I gladly would for you, if you want....

Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935. .... If there is something you specifically want or would like me to bring for you....

(Just keep in mind -- I have Englishtown, New Jersey, and Fall Carlisle, Pennsylvania ..... Before Hershey....)

Yours, Craig......

If you are partial to N.O.S. U.S.A. made -- and not wanting to settle for the Chineseum world of internet and auto parts store garbage -- that is where you will LOVE my spread --- R C C 74 - 76 in the Red Field.......

Edited by mobileparts
Add on (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Buy a program, it has maps of all the fields and a directory of all the vendors. Note the numbers on the light poles that are close to a space you plan to return to. If you buy heavy items find a vendor that will let you store them at their space for the day, DO NOT loose buying time hauling stuff back to your car, that is for dinner time. Have fun, this is 50 in a row for me. Bob 

• Like 2

We're up at daylight and have our stuff uncovered and ready to sell before breakfast. Usually not alot of traffic before 8:00 except a few early birds. Get there early in the week (Wednesday) to find the best stuff.

We are happy to let you leave items at our space and always have an extra chair, some shade, and a bottle of cold water for the weary. I've been known to haul items out to the gate for folks on my Model A "Doodle bug" at the end of the day. Stop by C4X and C4Y 1-3 in the North Chocolate field across from Brickers Famous French Fries. I'll have Ford model A and an assortment of other great parts there as well.

• Like 3

On 9/24/2019 at 4:15 PM, mercer09 said:

walk around at 7am, everyone is still sleeping............

I am up at 6am pulling tarps off and folding them and try and be open at 7:00 Am the people you are talking about still sleeping are the 100,000.00 plus motor homes with one or two 6' tables with 4 things on it,  I started packing parts 3 weeks ago and am ready 8450 Lbs worth of parts to sell Just weighed the trailer and that leaves me a fudge room for some more parts. early bird gets the worm When I am searching for parts I am there 0 dark thirty 

Chocolate South CH74-83 Close to light pole 56

• Like 2

Lol Mercer, Well I know when I have went to swap meets that are open two or three days makes me mad when I pay 15.00 to get in and 10.00 to park and it says there open at 7-5pm and 1/3 are not even at there spots till 8 or 9 or later which Is why I know peoples time is money and lost parts so I sleep on grounds and get up early every morning just to avoid what makes me mad personally. Just like the lame parkers who eats spaces next to me a couple spots down that six lazy guys buy a sellers spot and then park a van put a broken horn and a carburetor on a card table and a bowl that says honor system put money in to bowl, to me they should be booted and banned so others who want to sell can be open at 7am. Its a enforcement thing that has irked me for years. It cost me a lot of money to plan and come every year, not complaining I love Hershey, but wish they would enforce rules better, but I know there is a lot to deal with by the region and a lot of hardworking people. But when a customer comes to my row and he is tired and he looks down my row and there is me and very few open he says oh I have only so much strength from walking I will look for-another row with more sellers before I leave. It is what it is I still Love it for better or worse

Cheers

• Like 2

I'm a vendor in the middle of another Hershey field. I'm not in a hurry at all to get into my spaces, uncover and set up. When spectators arrive they usually start at one side of a field and work their way to the other side systematically row by row so it's awhile anyway til most of em reach me. Sunrise is at 7:12 a.m. and there's not much early action at all where I am. When the national anthem is played is when I get serious about vending. I follow all the rules, all my spots have plenty of real parts & literature for sale and a registered AACA seller is minding the stuff all day long. Being in a big hurry and rushing around just takes some of the fun out of it for me.I treat it more like a leisurely activity.  It's not like I'm making $1000 an hour selling this junk.      Here's to great weather and a wonderful time for all attending! 

• Like 2

FYI, I will be bringing literally 2,000 lbs of Model A parts for sale this year from the Missouri Valley MARC club. No sheet metal but lots of other Model A parts. Check out our location in the Orange field OAI 51-52 just under the light pole 160. 

• Like 1

Hello All

Sorry for another set of Rookie Questions.  This will be our first trip to the Hershey show.  We are hoping to get our Model T the HPOF. We have preregistered with trailer parking. We are arriving on Friday.  How should one proceed ?  Do we park the rig at the trailer parking and leave it there with the T on the trailer and go to the AACA tent to register ?  Does pre registration get us access to the show for 3 days ?  On Saturday should we unload and drive her to the Show field ?

Thanks For Any Help

20180330_091109.jpg

20180526_122436.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  What an experience!  Three days after Hershey and my feet still hurt...... Over 45 miles of walking.   A good hurt.    We had a great time.  Such an amazing experience!   Thank you for all of the kind comments.  We really enjoyed our time in Hershey.  Now we just have to get over PHD (post Hershey depression)......

Thank you!

• Like 2

Silverton Ford ---

You couldn't have done it all ------ you never made it over to my awesome spread????

Did you walk crooked??? I know it is massive -- but I dare say that my spread is the most worthwhile at HERSHEY !!!!!!!! Thousands have said that for years -- and yet, I always have new and fantastic parts each and every year....

Call me for my literature -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... You will be glad you did.......