Sign in to follow this  
broker'bob

Henry ford

I did it     was in dearborn and spent a day in museum and one in green field village and half in Pequet plant     so much to see I could do it again

DSCN3979.JPG

DSCN3993.JPG

DSCN4007.JPG

DSCN4006.JPG

DSCN4026.JPG

DSCN4044.JPG

DSCN4076.JPG

DSCN4065.JPG

DSCN4079.JPG

DSCN4113.JPG

DSCN4121.JPG

DSCN4049.JPG

DSCN4098.JPG

DSCN4071.JPG

• Like 9

Benefits of AACA Membership.

14 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

GREAT PHOTOS! Everyone needs to visit there. Bob 

Yes indeed. Great Photos. In addition to visiting there, One should put the annual Old Car Festival in Greenfield Village on their bucket list as well. Was Sept. 7-8th this year.  I spent an entire day in just the museum and did not get to see it all. 

• Like 1

ISN'T IT A GRAND EXPERIENCE?!!!!

• Like 1

Dad took me there as a High School graduation gift back in 1968, second time was during an AACA National Meet in the 1980's. By the looks of the photos things have changed or upgraded, time for another visit. Bob 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Dad took me there as a High School graduation gift back in 1968, second time was during an AACA National Meet in the 1980's. By the looks of the photos things have changed or upgraded, time for another visit. Bob 

Yes you do need to go back.

They did a major infrastructure investment shutting down for a whole year plus they moved some buildings between the Firestone house and the round house creating a much nicer display area with paver brick walks around a large pond.

Should the stars align I hope to have the Overland there next year and have some fun.

13 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I practically grew up at that place!

Same here. My interest in steam began when I rode the Suhwanee steamboat which is sadly not there anymore thanks to the insurance companies and their ignorance and paranoia of steamboat explosions. Of which, one has not happened since the 1800's.

The first year I did Old car festival, it felt really strange driving my car around the village. We are lucky they let us do that.

-Ron

I went there about 30 years ago and in about six hours  covered as much as we could.  Would love to go back some day. Without a doubt it was the best museum I ever went to.

Without sounding like a curmudgeon, the museum was definitely a lot better 30 years ago, they had more old iron in there, and they had displays up near the front where people did metal crafts/jewelry and sold souvenirs. The steam engine exhibits were a chronology of development starting with Newcomen and right up in to the early 1900's. They had more cars and airplanes on exhibit as well. It is understandable that they have to change up the displays to attract visitors, but the direction they have been going is the wrong one, delving off in to social and political subjects that simply don't interest me or any of the people I go with (gearheads). I was there back in the summer and they said they are putting in a retro race car exhibit, so apparently they are getting the message.

-Ron

Did anyone keep track of the cars and parts and other historic pieces the collection sold off over the years? Edsel's Type 37 Bugatti, the 1920s X engines, the six cylinder experimental engine from the  Model T era ? 

Bob

It went from a top ten museum in the world thirty years ago, to something I no longer care to visit. Remember when all the good stuff was there, and it was five bucks to get in? Sad but true, the people running it are intrested  in paychecks and politics, not the original purpose. Henry is rolling over in his grave.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Henry is rolling over in his grave.

They still have the huge Newcomen and Watt atmospheric pumping engines there, I joked with the guys I was with, that probably the only reason they still have them is because they are too expensive to remove. They had a very rare Doble steam car that is no longer on display and no one knows what happened to it, a good friend of mine is a retired curator from over there and keeps me posted on the happenings. I told him I wanted the engines from the Suhwanee, he told me he would put me on the list and it's a long one :)

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)

The Henley Roadster that was there for fifty years on display is gone.............its sitting right behind be in the garage. The Doble is gone(If I am not mistaken).........can't say where.