A suggestion for improving the Hershey show for seniors

NE car lover

This will be my 30  year anniversary for attending the meet.  That necessarily means I am 30 years older than when I started.  it would improve the experience for us seniors if there were a place to sit down and rest.  In the flea market, except for curbs and a few walls, there are few places to sit.  A few food vendors have picnic tables, and I usually get food there and tell them that I am buying from them because I can sit down.  On the show field there are no curbs or walls.  

It would not be hard to require food vendors to have some seating.  It might be more of a problem in the flea market, as they might need another space.  Food vendors could be given priority when spaces turn over.  On the show field, there is enough room where the food vendors set up to have some tables and chairs.  I am sure the Hershey region has contracts with the food vendors, and this requirement could be added.

Without a chance to rest, I am not sure how much longer I can make Hershey a part of my life.  It is a big part- when my daughter got married in October, she chose the date to avoid conflict with Hershey!

• Like 2

The food vendors are not selected by the Region or AACA!  We have no control over their placement or set-ups.  They contract with HE & R for the space.  I do not disagree with you that here is limited seating around the event.  Something we should discuss with all the folks involved with it.  For this year, too late but a good idea if space can be found.

• Like 1

I have seen a few clubs that have tents in the flea market area where their members gather periodically throughout the Fall Meet.

Maybe when these clubs are not actively using their tents and chairs they could make them available to people who need a place to sit down for a spell.

A simple sign of some sort to let people needing to sit a spell know that the tent and chairs are currently available for use. It also might be a way for that club to recruit new members.  

AACA National and/or Hershey Region might also consider sponsoring a few tents scattered around the flea market fields or one on/near the show field. Who knows, tents like this might be a good way to recruit new members or make it possible for current members to continue to enjoy the Hershey experience without having to rent a personal mobility device or simply stop coming to Hershey all-together.

If new tents are a cost concern what about slightly larger tents for existing locations that can support them space wise? Maybe just adding a few chairs and a sign ("Sit & Rest a Spell") to the existing tents or re purposing the space inside current tents to make room for some chairs? The Hershey Region refreshment tents, the Fall Hershey Program Tents, the AACA Membership renewal tent, the registration packet pickup tent, etc. Obviously, the area around some existing tents might not allow a larger tent or some of these tents may not have any extra space for a few chairs. Something is definitely needed near the show field for Saturday. Maybe next year a tent somewhere around the New AACA Headquarters space permitting? Heck, if 1 or 2 of the garages at the New HQ are empty around Fall Hershey (yes, wishful thinking, I know) some chairs and possibly some tables might work in there.

Something for Hershey Region and AACA National to discuss for next year.

Just my .02

• Like 1

Nice idea. I usually just sit and visit with friends throughout the market when I'm out wandering, so never actually gave it a thought.

Terry

Another suggestion for improving the Hershey experience

for older attendees.  I noticed this when my father went

with me:

We need more places to cross Hershey Park Drive.

My father could walk a limited distance before tiring.

He didn't need a motorized cart, but since there's only

one or two cross-walks from parking to the event,

he had to walk a half-mile from the car just to get to

the flea market!

Years ago, I recall, one could cross the road at

more places.  This simple change--a few more

cross-walks--would have made a big difference

to one who could no longer walk many miles.

Please don't say "it can't be done!"

Guys,  good thoughts but sometimes you have to put yourself in others shoes.  Not always as simple as you think.  John as far as crossing Hersheypark Drive that is a function of the safety committee and the Derry Township Police Department.  There are reasons for most of the situations that now exist within the show but all your thoughts will be given to the folks in the region by me at the end of the show. 

• Thanks 1

The stick/seat combo looks like a great idea, and a thoughtful gift for any guy or gal on the back side of 50!

However, this is a CLUB. If any member or visitor comes to my space and needs to sit in the shade for a bit, that’s great. We can certainly shoot the bull for a while. We take along an extra chair or two for that reason. If you’re in the green field, just look for GAI 18-19; near Hershey light pole 18. I bet plenty of other vendors feel the same way. The hardest part is asking. Once you do, you find out you have a lot in common with everyone here.

• Like 2

It is easy to criticize and make demands about something you belong to, but few comment when something that is being well done or "going right" is on a constant flow. I found this out when teaching , very few compliments , ever - because "you were being paid to do your job". Sure I was and so were most everyone reading this, doing their jobs , but it is nice to be  noticed every so often ( like perhaps once a year) for the good things and not always the things that do not go perfectly according to your opinion. There are a lot of car clubs, many recognize specific makes, many recognize a variety of makes with specific levels or classes of cars/vehicles. The more there is to do, the more of a chance that something will not go exactly to the standards a person who is paying their dues cares for. AACA probably has the biggest variety of things to try to please everyone for  - but BY FAR they do it the best. Just think of all the personalities, egos, and demands of same that the headquarters, library, officers, and employees have to contend with - with a smile on their face. As ' NE car lover'  states so well - Thanks Steve, and to all the staff of AACA.

Walt Gosden

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 9:28 AM, greenie said:

The stick/seat combo looks like a great idea, and a thoughtful gift for any guy or gal on the back side of 50!

However, this is a CLUB. If any member or visitor comes to my space and needs to sit in the shade for a bit, that’s great. We can certainly shoot the bull for a while. We take along an extra chair or two for that reason. If you’re in the green field, just look for GAI 18-19; near Hershey light pole 18. I bet plenty of other vendors feel the same way. The hardest part is asking. Once you do, you find out you have a lot in common with everyone here.

I've was told this year I need a knee replacement and I'm not yet 50!  I bought myself one of these to walk around Hershey this year cause I intend to keep up with the guys who aren't limping around lol

I spend more time talking, meeting & new friends and learning about what vendor make than I did in the past.  Before I was like a driven machine "on the Hunt" for Rare (any) part that fit my cars.  Hershey to me these days is like a giant museum: i have slow down and started enjoying the view and people more each year.  I found that if a vendor has an  empty seat; most people will let you take rest if you only ask politely.

Joe

At 77 I feel your pain and agree with your suggestion.  But after attending many shows without seating, I threw in the towel and bought a portable seat that is light to carry but works.  I provide a web site here as an example but there are many good versions from many vendors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VWJYT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1