AL1630

Strange overheating issue

Benefits of AACA Membership.

3 hours ago, ted sweet said:

he never verified the guage is accurate

Good point.  The gauge is fluctuating under different conditions. Is the car actually overheating? My criterion for overheating is boiling over with some steam. I have had several cars where the temperature gauge fluctuated from cool to normal to hot and back gain, depending upon whether I was driving uphill, downhill, on a straight, or at a light. (Actually, every one of them was British - seven '50s - '60s Jaguars, three '50s - '60s Morgans, one '59 MG). Even my current 1966 Morgan fluctuates in temperature as the thermostat does it thing in response to driving environment.  My 1935 Cadillac is rock solid in its behavior: no fluctuations at all. But then, the Cadillac has enough water in its system to drown several Morgans.

Phil

The car has only officially overheated and boiled over once, after pulling a hill in summer. When it did that, the needle was above the top mark on the gauge, which i believe is 260 degrees. Now with a 180 tstat and 50 degrees ambient, the gauge stays around the middle. This leads me to believe it works, but I've never really tested it.

It may have been suggested before but a battery powered digital laser thermometer thingy is a pretty handy and not that expensive tool.

You will find all kinds of other things to do with it after you figure out if your car is or is not in fact over heating.

The Jeepster that I just restored has an electric temp gauge and it will easily peg on a hot day when the engine is running at 200 degrees.

Its hard to ignore but if it aint broke ,,,, Oh I need a correct sender.

If I shoot the thermostat housing with the temperature gun, should it read about the same temperature as the gauge if the gauge is accurate, or would it be different? The T-stat housing is where the temperature sending unit is located.

Yup. Logic would dictate that it should be the same.

But take its temperature other places as well.

Follow the water jacket front to rear and low and high on the block.

This way you will have a lot of info to consider.

Don't be to far away from your targets.

Probably want to do this when its acting up as well as when it seems normal.