Sign in to follow this  
Darrell S.

Desoto roadster help

Wondering if someone can help me identify the year of this desoto . I was told it is a 32 but after looking around the forum the grill looks different then the rest of the 32s shown. 

FB_IMG_1526932313345.jpg

Looks like a 1929 to me. It has 3 added ribs (not original) on the radiator shell and different bumpers.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply. Still trying to learn more about it. Also need to find somewhere to buy replacement parts. If anyone can guve suggestions.  This is my first antique auto. 

Welcome to the forum. That car is a beauty. What year is on the title? Also, where are you located? Good luck with it....

• Thanks 1

Hi Darrell

That definitely looks like a 1929 model K. It could have been registered as a 1930. The 1930 DeSotos had a wide profile radiator shell. The 1930 Model CK had small lights on the fenders which were exact miniatures of the headlights. The " CF" which was the 8 cylinder model had the parking lights on the cowl. I see your cowl moulding and those lights are missing on the car you show. If you say you are told that it is a 1932 what does your registration/title show? Your front bumper is not correct and your hubcaps do not appear correct either. If those are 19" wheels, I have a set of NOS hubcaps for that car.6- 6 1/2" opening DE caps

Rick

1930 DeSoto CK6 rumble seat coupe

• Thanks 1

Some States titled a vehicle as the first year in which it was registered.  So it could be a 1929 Desoto that was not registered until 1932.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Some States titled a vehicle as the first year in which it was registered.  So it could be a 1929 Desoto that was not registered until 1932.

^ This.

I have a (foreign) car that was built/manufactured (for U.S. market) in 1972 with factory attached plaque/tag attesting to 1972 DOT compliance, but wasn’t shipped from the factory or imported to U.S. until 1973 and eventually sold as a new car in 1974 here in California, in which it was first time registered at the time and has always carried 1974 year model designation on its title. 

To make things a bit more difficult, the particular model was in production from 1969 to 1973 and while a lot of small details and features changed, their overall appearance from one year to another remained nearly   undistinguishable to most casual observers or even some owners.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

The 3 vertical ribs, though evidently not from the factory,

might tell a story about the car's ownership 80 or 90

years ago.  When the car was everyday transportation,

some owner might have wanted to be stylish and added

the ribs.  The Chandler car had a grille with 3 vertical ribs,

and the owner might have been imitating that:

Image result for chandler car

• Like 2

Not a 1932...I own a 1932 Roadster, and can report that the overall design had been significantly modernized .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, autoluke said:

Not a 1932...I own a 1932 Roadster, and can report that the overall design had been significantly modernized .

I own a ‘32 Plymouth PB Sport Roadster, which I believe shares the same Roadster body with ‘32 DeSoto, therefor I tend to agree about the significant design and styling differences between 1932 bodies and car in the photo by OP.

We restored a '29 DeSoto Model K Roadster when I was a kid. It was an excellent car, light and easy to drive, responsive hydraulic brakes. Be sure to use a thermostat in the cooling system, otherwise the water circulates through the radiator too fast.  

• Like 1

On the title it is a 32. Im in southern illinois. My uncle purchased it in 1985 and i acquired it in 2015. Id like to get it back to as close to original as possible. 

If anyone is close there is a car show at the southern illinois airport in murphysboro/carbondale . If im not working I'll have it there. 

man, I wouldnt touch that grill. car looks great as it is and a tribute to past owners...............

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Darrell S. said:

...My uncle purchased it in 1985 and i acquired it in 2015. Id like to get it back to as close to original as possible. 

I agree with Mercer above:  Leave the grille as it is.

There is an old story there, now forgotten.

And who knows?  Maybe those grille bars were an

after-market item from a catalogue to "sportify" your car!

Maybe the DeSoto dealer even did it for his showroom car.  

Is there a remote chance that DeSoto even offered

that look as some now-forgotten accessory?

Don't discard history, even if it didn't come straight from the factory!

• Like 1

Great car.......take your time. Learn about what is and is not correct. Source the correct parts over time. You don't even have to install them.....just have them on the shelf for future restoration/updates/owners. I would but it all back to original if it were mine over time, but trust me on this.......enjoy it for a while the way it is. 

• Like 1