Compact Police Car

Mark Huston

Probably for promotional events. Our town has a police Corvette and a pair of jet skis on a trailer even though we're nowhere near a body of water. They drag them out for every parade and civic event. Fruits of drug seizure laws, I presume. The Beetle maybe not, but surely just a promotional thing.

Beetles have been used as police vehicles around the world. They are agile in snow and quick darting in and out of traffic. High speed pursuits,not so much but imagine robbery suspects trying to get away through dense traffic in their '60's Detroit behemoth with a police VW dodging through it all.

• Like 1

IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.f8a62b0929c0a80600099b6c63891ca3.jpg

The cops ride in style in North Carolina.

In the 1970's I lived in a small Alabama town. The mayor owned the Buick and AMC dealershipps. All the patrol cars were loaded Buick Electra 225 Limited 4-door hardtops. The meter patrol and utilities used Gremlins.

Don

Edited by DLynskey (see edit history)

Why sure it is, Mark ! Let me try to figure out how to make a socially acceptable version of the time I bribed 4 EXTREMELY merciful Mexican cops in a VW down in Mazatlan. Would have been 30-35 years or so ago. Ended up costing me a total of the peso equivalent of US two dollars ! I would have seen a cold iron bunk and bars back home. Serious, SERIOUS plural driving infractions. Such manipulation requires the suborner to be at least fluent in Spanish, while pretending to have a halting working vocabulary of less than a dozen words. I have used that technique numerous times. EVEN IN CHILE ! Back about the turn of the Millennium, I was traveling with a retired contract operative for "The Outfit" who had done some very disgusting things there almost 30 years earlier. There were places he was afraid to go in Chile at the time. He had warned me not to speed under any circumstances. Do you think I paid much heed ? Oh yeah ? Well you just didn't know ol' Cadillac' back then. Sure as your born, I got radarized. Jim told me my passport would be yanked, and I would have a much longer vacation way down yonder than I had budgeted time for. Now, as in Costa Rica, you can't bribe the police in Chile. If you try : bye, bye baby, bye, bye. Used the good old stupido gringo technique, and TOTALLY blew Jimmy's mind when we lit out SCOTT FREE !!!! DO NOT EVEN THINK OF DUPLICATING THAT MAJOR FEAT UNLESS YOU ARE WELL PRACTICED IN THE TECHNIQUE, AND ARE QUITE FLUENT IN SPANISH, AND TOTALLY ACCULTURATED. Now with due modesty, I got the spit scarred outta me, and never more did speed. But Mexico back in the great cruising days ? A driver's paradise. You didn't even have to contemplate out running the V' dubs. A bribe was cheaper than the gasoline at two bits a gallon you would waste at speed.    -   CADILLAC '

P.S. Chief Steve, if they'd'a had meter maids like that back when I collected parking tickets like some guys collected baseball cards, I think I wouldda made one of them pretty little critters my loving wife !  -  CC 

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)

The Police Department here in Wilmington NC used a Beetle for the downtown beat sometime in the 1970's. During my career we had a few very unusual vehicles obtained through drug seizure laws that were used for law enforcement. They were typically used for mostly PR purposes. These included a Porsche, a customized GM pickup truck, as well as various other non-traditional law enforcement vehicles.