Digger914

Winter storage in the snow; Darn It.

Parking a convertible outside in the winter is like opening a mouse motel, better to risk rodents than to pour a slab on unstable ground. Killing mice is easy, suggestions on how to  keep them away is what I need.

I have had heated storage for everything but my winter truck since 1978 and it looks like I will be winter storing a boat and car on a gravel pad this year.  Bought  a lift and another car this year, needed to turn a hill into flat land to add enclosed storage and expected to be done by mid August. The heavy rains started the day the trench for the retaining wall was dug, the clay turned into mud and it looks like this will be the cities second wettest summer in recorded history. Great weather for green grass, not so good for new construction.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Dot be afraid of mice. The fool proof way of eliminating them is using the old mouse spring trap. Use a peanut butter smeared bait. Never fails. Even for squirrels.  Field mice will look for warm places as the cold weather starts to set in. Set traps around cars.. The old house cats will only catch mice if you do not feed them.

4 hours ago, Digger914 said:

Killing mice is easy, suggestions on how to  keep them away is what I need.

Nothing better than a couple of good cats.

-Ron

10 minutes ago, Locomobile said:

Nothing better than a couple of good cats.

-Ron

The city I live in has a leash law to regulate outdoor cats and the thought of chaining a couple of cats to the car did cross my mind, but I live across the street from a special needs school and attaching a couple of cats to a car in the winter might upset some of the more delicate children. The truly unbalanced ones, every now and then one gets loose and a cat chained to a car won't last the winter.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, trini said:

... The old house cats will only catch mice if you do not feed them.

UNTRUE and a very CRUEL notion —  well-fed cats will pursue mice for sport. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Digger914 said:

attaching a couple of cats to a car in the winter might upset some of the more delicate children. 

I hope you're not that big of an animal-hating jerk to chain cats to a car outside during a Minnesota winter because it will definitely upset a lot more people than "delicate children." Put some damn moth balls in the car and forget about your idiotic cat idea.... :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Digger914 said:

the thought of chaining a couple of cats to the car did cross my mind

I think all that would get ya is a mouse problem and two frozen cats. And yeah, not cool.

Cats need to be kept in during cold nights. But weather permitting they will forage around and hunt for small rodents, that's what cats do. Seems like Siamese are best for that, they are born hunters. Every where I've lived, I've had mice problems, I've set traps, put out poison, tried the moth balls in the crawl space, which only made me about half sick, eyes watering, congested etc. The whole house stunk like moth balls. None of that was a long term solution, the best thing I've found for mice is a couple of good mousers. Where I live now there are two cats that hang around in the yard, I've lived here for 10 years and have only seen one mouse. They are the neighbors cats, but every few days, I give them a can of Albacore tuna as a way to say thank you.

-Ron

• Like 1

I have had good success keeping mice out of cars stored over winter outside by placing mothballs ( lots of them) in car interior, trunk, engine compartment, and on the ground about the car's perimeter.

As a cat lover, I agree with you all. Best hunter I ever had was an orange tabby. Li'l guy took snake at one point. The proudest moment of his life,  was doing the snake shake with 1/2 half of the serpent wiggling out each side of his ferocious jaws as the thrashing was meted out. Monster jumped a crow one afternoon. Sandy and I heard a loud corvine chorus emanating from scores of black beaks. Ran out to see the huge locust tree serving as battle quarters for more crows than she and I had ever seen in one place. Crows flying in from every whichadirection in massive numbers. Saved all our eyes by putting the slightly ruffled young bird on top of the garage. We wouldn't have mouse one 'round these parts if that little friend had lived to 40 years old. He never attempted another crow, though.

Dig' : my advice is to go down to the Goodwill and buy a cheap but powerful radio. Test it to make sure it doesn't need a reboot if there is a power interruption. Tune it to one of those stations which plays Heavy Metal, Nirvana, etc. all the time. Place said squawk box in the truck, and turn the volume way up into distortion level. The mousen don't like it anymore than you do.

Hmmmmmmmmm, I am wondering what they do with the REST of the moths ?      -    CC 

• Like 1

The odd thing about mice, I've been working in machine shops for over 40 years, I can only think of a few brief encounters with mice and they didn't hang around. Some say they don't like the metal shavings, others say it's the smell of cutting oil and water soluble oils and noise.

One night in the summer I was working late and I had the front door propped open a bit to let some fresh air in and this mouse wandered in, walking around I spotted it, I opened the roll door and watched to see if it would run back out it never did. The next day, I had the doors closed and that mouse went to the door and sat there, I walked up and opened the door and it ran out, it waited for me to open the door. It wanted out of there really bad.  True story :)

-Ron

I never said to chain cats . What I meant cats that are well fed  do not necessarily go hunting. Most cats hunt mostly when hungry. My point is to set the common mouse traps using peanut butter  as bait. I got rid of all mice that was in  my house that way . My wife is allergic to cats.The cats go after the mice , that is  if the cats can catch them. But the mice will go for the peanut butter. I have seen cats sitting looking like half asleep under a tree waiting for squirrels. I looked at the Yu tube. Great stuff. No matter which method , the important thing is to check  trap line regularly. It may help. I once opened a small box of some kind of flax seed poison  that was sold in agriculture stores and left it in the garden shed . Most of the flax seeds and all the mice were gone. That stuff is now  banned in Ontario.    

3 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I hope you're not that big of an animal-hating jerk to chain cats to a car outside during a Minnesota winter because it will definitely upset a lot more people than "delicate children." Put some damn moth balls in the car and forget about your idiotic cat idea.... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Honest, the city really does have a leash law for cats. just like dogs, If your cat is out of the house it must be licensed, confined to your property or on a leash.

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

As a cat lover, I agree with you all. Best hunter I ever had was an orange tabby. Li'l guy took snake at one point. The proudest moment of his life,  was doing the snake shake with 1/2 half of the serpent wiggling out each side of his ferocious jaws as the thrashing was meted out. Monster jumped a crow one afternoon. Sandy and I heard a loud corvine chorus emanating from scores of black beaks. Ran out to see the huge locust tree serving as battle quarters for more crows than she and I had ever seen in one place. Crows flying in from every whichadirection in massive numbers. Saved all our eyes by putting the slightly ruffled young bird on top of the garage. We wouldn't have mouse one 'round these parts if that little friend had lived to 40 years old. He never attempted another crow, though.

Dig' : my advice is to go down to the Goodwill and buy a cheap but powerful radio. Test it to make sure it doesn't need a reboot if there is a power interruption. Tune it to one of those stations which plays Heavy Metal, Nirvana, etc. all the time. Place said squawk box in the truck, and turn the volume way up into distortion level. The mousen don't like it anymore than you do.

Hmmmmmmmmm, I am wondering what they do with the REST of the moths ?      -    CC 

I did look into an electronic rodent repellant, not the one you suggested, more like the type as seen on TV, only ones I could find are all made for indoor use.

1 hour ago, Digger914 said:

electronic rodent repellant

they get used to the noise because they soon realise it won't hurt them. Like living beside a railway overbridge made of iron. You get used to it.

Spinney' my dear forum friend, iron railroad trestles and electronic high frequency noise are popcorn compared with long term exposure to emanations from Curt Cobain, (R.I.P.).   -    Carl 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I used the electronic thing and plugged it in. NO HELP. But rodent invariably cannot resist peanut butter for some reason. and even peanut in shell. The next in line is walnut.

17 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I agree. Animal cruelty  has no place on this or any other forum

17 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hmmmmmmmmm, I am wondering what they do with the REST of the moths ?    

Now this is a good question.

+1 on moth balls, just be sure to remove before starting, very hard to get smell out of HVAC and I know a few who are convinced it is deadly.

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

Now this is a good question.

I sure think it is. Next time you are munching delicacies at yer favorite dim sum joint, ask the waiter what they do with the rest of the shrimp. Confuse-us say : Dumbfounded, befuddled, curious response will delight you and friends.   -   CC 

When I had to keep old cars in rodent heavy environments, a feral cat community in the vicinity would keep the pests away big time. When evidence of a cat community (footprints and such) disappears (meaning they moved on or died out) the rodent problem would return. Feral cat communities are much more common in cities than you think, but of course that's not something you can create or encourage. The cat shelter I volunteer at will provide  some food for some of the feral communities, but if you put food out it will also draw rodent pests. Nothing keeps rodents away like cats, though. I keep my cars in better storage nowadays, but there's still a sizeable feral cat community next door. No evidence of rodents here, but I don't know how close the cats get to storage enclosures because the area is fenced off. I keep Bounce dryer sheets in my car, per recommendations. The farm supply store nearby sells so-called rodent repellent pouches that smell like moth balls. Don't know if they or Bounce works, but it's all I have in the absence of cats.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

When I had to keep old cars in rodent heavy environments, a feral cat community in the vicinity would keep the pests away big time. When evidence of a cat community (footprints and such) disappears (meaning they moved on or died out) the rodent problem would return. Feral cat communities are much more common in cities than you think, but of course that's not something you can create or encourage. The cat shelter I volunteer at will provide  some food for some of the feral communities, but if you put food out it will also draw rodent pests. Nothing keeps rodents away like cats, though. I keep my cars in better storage nowadays, but there's still a sizeable feral cat community next door. No evidence of rodents here, but I don't know how close the cats get to storage enclosures because the area is fenced off. I keep Bounce dryer sheets in my car, per recommendations. The farm supply store nearby sells so-called rodent repellent pouches that smell like moth balls. Don't know if they or Bounce works, but it's all I have in the absence of cats.

I will be giving the Bounce a try. Up until the city enacted its cat ordinance there were plenty of outdoor cats that had homes and who knows how many others were feral. Now I chase up mice when I cut the grass and a loose cat is a rare sight.

The mice around here love the Bounce and use it for nests and bedding.

Dave

On 9/20/2019 at 8:59 PM, Locomobile said:

The odd thing about mice, I've been working in machine shops for over 40 years, I can only think of a few brief encounters with mice and they didn't hang around. Some say they don't like the metal shavings

I like that idea a lot. My wife just told me to pick up some Tom Cat traps, but maybe I will use my nibbler and cut up some scrap sheet metal to test it. I cut the roof off a '62 Buick once and those little toenail clipping-like pieces got into the carpet. Sure kept me from driving barefoot.

I might still have to get the Tom Cats for the cellar, though. Don't need this while trying to sleep:

• Like 1