John348

Photo's at Hemming's Concour's this past Sunday

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, 3makes said:

For those of you that don't have any knowledge of the Bennington meet, I believe it was originated in the mid 1970's and initially took place on the grounds of the Bennington airport. From there it moved to the grounds of Bennington College and then to the hill behind the Bijur factory and I believe it ended its run on the grounds of the Pownal Horse/Dog Race track. The event was sponsored by the Bennington Chamber of Commerce. It was one of the finest meets in the northeast and remains so for those of us that attended.

 

It was not unusual to see rows of brass era cars, Model "T"s of all types, Model "A"s and Pre WWII cars of all makes, foreign and domestic as well as some later cars present on the fields, not to mention the flea market vendors that at one point exceeded 200 and maybe more. The participants came from all over New England, New York, New Jersey, Canada and maybe further. Venders camped in the various fields, there was not an accommodation to be had for miles around and most of the display vehicles were driven to the meet.  I participated in at least 20 of the meets as a vendor, beginning at the airport and displaying a car, coming from Connecticut.

 

Last fall I had the opportunity to be in Bennington and stopped at the Hemmings Filling Station, Tourist Store and Museum and inquired about the possibility of their re-establishing the meet and was told I could come to their Cruise Nights or their Concourse event in Saratoga, and when I explained the era of cars I had, I was told NO body was interested in those old cars. This remark was seconded by a couple of the stores customers.

 

I would like to put the 'used car lot" comment that you made in perspective. Model A Fords were 40 year old cars in the 70's, newer then most of the cars in the photos I posted.

In 1975 a 1920 vehicle was 55 years old, so the 55 year old and older cars are used cars now but were not then?  I really would like to post the rest of the photos I had taken and not have a debate that will will detract from people enjoying it.  I did not even post a photo of the car we were invited to bring, which was the fist place car in the class and a runner up for Best of Show Post War. I took photos of what I had seen, and posted them for those who might enjoy  looking at them. 

 

Also next year one of the Marque Classes will be Model A Fords, so they must have found a few people who were interested. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep posting John, I enjoy viewing them ! ( I seen your Chevrolet over on FB with Mr. Leunig's Chevrolet - beautiful ! )

 

Steve

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are still posting photos, I know it isn't easy. Not fair to judge two totally different shows, The Bennington Meet of days long gone by and the Modern Hemmings event. I think we stopped going 30 years ago, time flies, great memories. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John348,  I am a very pre-1930 hobbyist, have been for more than fifty years. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate nicely restored '50s and even '60s cars. There are even a few that I wouldn't mind owning if I could afford them. And, if someone will go to the trouble to post good pictures of cars at shows I can't get to? I won't complain even if a fair number of '70s or (shudder) even '80s cars pictures  are posted.These days, family issues have me pretty well tied down and I rarely get out to see any shows. So any good concours or tour photos are usually enjoyed. 

 

KEEP POSTING! It IS appreciated. The one thing I would ask, is show us some of the early cars as well as the later stuff. I say that, and note that you did so, and THAT is very much appreciated also!

 

Than you.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 John348, I appreciate the photos as well.. Just finding the time to do so as a participant is remarkable! 

 Your 1960 Chevy is a beautiful car, it made me regret selling mine 20 years ago..

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 3makes said:

For those of you that don't have any knowledge of the Bennington meet, I believe it was originated in the mid 1970's and initially took place on the grounds of the Bennington airport. From there it moved to the grounds of Bennington College and then to the hill behind the Bijur factory and I believe it ended its run on the grounds of the Pownal Horse/Dog Race track. The event was sponsored by the Bennington Chamber of Commerce. It was one of the finest meets in the northeast and remains so for those of us that attended.

 

It was not unusual to see rows of brass era cars, Model "T"s of all types, Model "A"s and Pre WWII cars of all makes, foreign and domestic as well as some later cars present on the fields, not to mention the flea market vendors that at one point exceeded 200 and maybe more. The participants came from all over New England, New York, New Jersey, Canada and maybe further. Venders camped in the various fields, there was not an accommodation to be had for miles around and most of the display vehicles were driven to the meet.  I participated in at least 20 of the meets as a vendor, beginning at the airport and displaying a car, coming from Connecticut.

 

Last fall I had the opportunity to be in Bennington and stopped at the Hemmings Filling Station, Tourist Store and Museum and inquired about the possibility of their re-establishing the meet and was told I could come to their Cruise Nights or their Concourse event in Saratoga, and when I explained the era of cars I had, I was told NO body was interested in those old cars. This remark was seconded by a couple of the stores customers.

 

A couple notes here. Hemmings wasn't associated with the Bennington Car Show for its last several years, after the Chamber of Commerce took over the show. The last several iterations of the show took place at Willow Park. Whether it'll come back is up to the Chamber of Commerce.

 

I highly doubt a Hemmings employee told you that nobody is interested in any sort of old cars. We celebrate every aspect of historical motoring and don't turn away any any make or model.

 

That said, thank you for visiting Hemmings, and please do try to make it up to one of our cruise nights next year.

 

Dan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s important to remember the hobby eclipses many years and makes of autos.  In this year of  2019 there is over 100 years of automotive history to choose from.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had some really nice cars at a local concours show that we have attended for years, but not again. Car with rust on fenders, dirty rumble seat and was missing two center caps on the wheels was awarded an award over other nicer cars. Didn't make a lot of sense. Talked to some others that said they wouldn't return to this show again. Sad to hear and see things like this about the hobby. I'll stick with the AACA judging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 3makes said:

Last fall I had the opportunity to be in Bennington and stopped at the Hemmings Filling Station, Tourist Store and Museum and inquired about the possibility of their re-establishing the meet and was told I could come to their Cruise Nights or their Concourse event in Saratoga, and when I explained the era of cars I had, I was told NO body was interested in those old cars. This remark was seconded by a couple of the stores customers.

 

I was not there so I can't comment on what was actually said, but I would say if the folks there said that - that comment is as offensive as yours could be interpreted.  You know as well as we do that there are still a lot of fans of brass era, teens and twenties but it is simply a declining interest group.   There are so many reasons that have nothing to do with a person's interest in this era.   The cars themselves are in many cases over 100 years old and MUST be trailered, MUST be carefully unloaded, and though the mechanics are considered simple, if something breaks it could be unobtainium. 

 

Add to that the market pressures we have seen in the past 40 years where many brass era cars were purchased and refurbished by aging owners for pennies on the dollar but they now want $45,000 to $75,000 to pass them along to the next generation, then I can tell you the market is not going to increase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, B Jake Moran said:

 

 

Add to that the market pressures we have seen in the past 40 years where many brass era cars were purchased and refurbished by aging owners for pennies on the dollar but they now want $45,000 to $75,000 to pass them along to the next generation, then I can tell you the market is not going to increase. 

Guess they are giving away HEMI powered Barracudas to the "Young People" , right? 

 

 

Bob 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Guess they are giving away HEMI powered Barracudas to the "Young People" , right? 

 

 

Bob 

Go down to the local Dodge dealer, get a new hemi for same money, drive it anywhere you want and have no fears of breaking down and not finding parts for weeks, financing is easy to get and so on.  To many that is what they want in a specialty car.  Not everyone for sure but for some it is.  I would like to have both types of vehicles but even a bicycle is beyond my realm now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spectacular mix of cars and trucks! Thanks again, John for posting pictures. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Robert Street said:

John thanks for the photos of some of the W featured cars. Yours is missing? 🤑

Robert

 

I did not take any, I was never one to take many pictures of my own cars, figured I could look at them any time I wanted,,,,  I think my friends Steve and Sue (White 65 Biscayne) their son took a few see if I can get them from him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was great to get together with some long time close friends for the weekend, almost 40 years we know each other. They relocated almost 20 years ago and we don't get together that much anymore, but when we do it makes things that much more special! That's what it is really about. That's when these cars really were "used' cars, but we saw something special about them then, I guess we were visionaries. 

 

 

IMG_6465.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's all folks!

not bad for a "used car" I was still in diapers when it was built, and almost ready for them again}

 

 

IMG_6392.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

IMG_6480.JPG

IMG_6477.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Robert Street said:

John thanks for the photos of some of the W featured cars. Yours is missing? 🤑

Robert

Could you let this Pre WWII vehicle fan and maybe others what a "W" car is? Bob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Nice John.... I do like those light green colors !

 

Steve

 

 Thank-you

 

11 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Could you let this Pre WWII vehicle fan and maybe others what a "W" car is? Bob 

 

That is a good question,  and many people ask that same one.

Chevrolet 348 and 409 engines are known as "W" motors. 1958 through February of 1965 on passenger cars, and 1958 through I believe early 1967 on trucks (I have to check that) If you look at the valve covers it resembles the letter W. 

 

 

60 Impala F Engine Right.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, depends on how you look at it. M or W I've always thought they were 409's ever since the first one was on the cover of Hot Rod some time in the early 1960's. Bob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ok, depends on how you look at it. M or W 

 

Bob, I knew you were going to say that

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now