Photo's at Hemming's Concour's this past Sunday

John348

2 hours ago, ted sweet said:

i livein area. no advertising at all

Hey Ted,

Sorry to hear about that, I know I hate it when something like that is in my backyard and I found out after the fact.  I know it was advertised in the Hemming's Publications, and I knew it existed from reading articles over the years. This was the 13th one that they held. I was invited by someone from Hemming's in February, how they got in touch with me I have no idea, but one of my cars was in one of the marque class's they were honoring. I lived in NY State for my entire life and had never been north of the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. Growing up in The Bronx, Yonkers was considered upstate. Hopefully you get to check it out next year

More photos later today

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks for coming back and posting the six per visit limit, great photos. Bob 

Thanks Bob, I was a little hesitant any more photos after 3makes comment below, 

4 hours ago, 3makes said:

The old Bennington meet was an ANTIQUE CAR MEET!!! This looked like a used car lot with a couple of exceptions.

IMG_6424.JPG

IMG_6425.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, John348 said:

Thanks Bob, I was a little hesitant any more photos after 3makes comment below,

I think everybody always enjoys show pictures and given the limitations configured for the forum picture posts I know I appreciate your effort to do it.

The issue that I have always had with the "Hemmings Concours" is that they misnaming something that is a pretty good show.

• Like 2

Oh, do I have great memories of the Bennington show at the Airport! What a great swap meet and show with really old cars , should have taken more photos. Highlights from years ago a 30HP Stanley rear axle for $200.00, 1932 Ford chassis for $125.00 DO Hal cam shafts and RAJO offset spindles come to mind quickly. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Kudos to the entire staff of Hemmings Motor news for the fantastic job that they did in organizing and

conducting this show. The wide variety of cars made sure that there were interesting cars for all spectators.

This is the first year that I have gone, but I doubt that It will be the last.

Dave Gray

Mechanicsburg, Pa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave Gray said:

Kudos to the entire staff of Hemmings Motor news for the fantastic job that they did in organizing and

conducting this show. The wide variety of cars made sure that there were interesting cars for all spectators.

This is the first year that I have gone, but I doubt that It will be the last.

Dave Gray

Mechanicsburg, Pa.

Hello Dave,

Same for me, first time but I will be back for sure! Unfortunately we were not able to make it to the Saturday show. Did you bring a vehicle?

I am running out of photos that I took so if have some please post them. The last one I posted of the Buick I posted was a 'teaser' 

13 hours ago, John348 said:

Hello Dave,

Same for me, first time but I will be back for sure! Unfortunately we were not able to make it to the Saturday show. Did you bring a vehicle?

I am running out of photos that I took so if have some please post them. The last one I posted of the Buick I posted was a 'teaser' 

I came with several others from the AACA museum in Hershey.  We brought the 1928 Sprint car and the Datsun 280Z

from our collection. Sorry, I did not get any photos.  I was too busy looking at the beautiful cars and visiting with other

participants and spectators.

Great show.

John thank you for posting the photos! Most appreciated, perhaps the "3makes" person will attend next year and take some photos of the cars he likes or wants to see posted here and be slightly less critical of people like you who make the effort and take the time to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There are people ( me for sure) that are unable to attend these events and thoroughly enjoy the pictures posted here by those who attend and take the time and effort to share.  To you I say a thousand thank you and appreciate your efforts.

• Like 5

For those of you that don't have any knowledge of the Bennington meet, I believe it was originated in the mid 1970's and initially took place on the grounds of the Bennington airport. From there it moved to the grounds of Bennington College and then to the hill behind the Bijur factory and I believe it ended its run on the grounds of the Pownal Horse/Dog Race track. The event was sponsored by the Bennington Chamber of Commerce. It was one of the finest meets in the northeast and remains so for those of us that attended.

It was not unusual to see rows of brass era cars, Model "T"s of all types, Model "A"s and Pre WWII cars of all makes, foreign and domestic as well as some later cars present on the fields, not to mention the flea market vendors that at one point exceeded 200 and maybe more. The participants came from all over New England, New York, New Jersey, Canada and maybe further. Venders camped in the various fields, there was not an accommodation to be had for miles around and most of the display vehicles were driven to the meet.  I participated in at least 20 of the meets as a vendor, beginning at the airport and displaying a car, coming from Connecticut.

Last fall I had the opportunity to be in Bennington and stopped at the Hemmings Filling Station, Tourist Store and Museum and inquired about the possibility of their re-establishing the meet and was told I could come to their Cruise Nights or their Concourse event in Saratoga, and when I explained the era of cars I had, I was told NO body was interested in those old cars. This remark was seconded by a couple of the stores customers.

5 hours ago, 3makes said:

For those of you that don't have any knowledge of the Bennington meet, I believe it was originated in the mid 1970's and initially took place on the grounds of the Bennington airport. From there it moved to the grounds of Bennington College and then to the hill behind the Bijur factory and I believe it ended its run on the grounds of the Pownal Horse/Dog Race track. The event was sponsored by the Bennington Chamber of Commerce. It was one of the finest meets in the northeast and remains so for those of us that attended.

It was not unusual to see rows of brass era cars, Model "T"s of all types, Model "A"s and Pre WWII cars of all makes, foreign and domestic as well as some later cars present on the fields, not to mention the flea market vendors that at one point exceeded 200 and maybe more. The participants came from all over New England, New York, New Jersey, Canada and maybe further. Venders camped in the various fields, there was not an accommodation to be had for miles around and most of the display vehicles were driven to the meet.  I participated in at least 20 of the meets as a vendor, beginning at the airport and displaying a car, coming from Connecticut.

Last fall I had the opportunity to be in Bennington and stopped at the Hemmings Filling Station, Tourist Store and Museum and inquired about the possibility of their re-establishing the meet and was told I could come to their Cruise Nights or their Concourse event in Saratoga, and when I explained the era of cars I had, I was told NO body was interested in those old cars. This remark was seconded by a couple of the stores customers.

I would like to put the 'used car lot" comment that you made in perspective. Model A Fords were 40 year old cars in the 70's, newer then most of the cars in the photos I posted.

In 1975 a 1920 vehicle was 55 years old, so the 55 year old and older cars are used cars now but were not then?  I really would like to post the rest of the photos I had taken and not have a debate that will will detract from people enjoying it.  I did not even post a photo of the car we were invited to bring, which was the fist place car in the class and a runner up for Best of Show Post War. I took photos of what I had seen, and posted them for those who might enjoy  looking at them. 

Also next year one of the Marque Classes will be Model A Fords, so they must have found a few people who were interested. 

• Like 4

John348,  I am a very pre-1930 hobbyist, have been for more than fifty years. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate nicely restored '50s and even '60s cars. There are even a few that I wouldn't mind owning if I could afford them. And, if someone will go to the trouble to post good pictures of cars at shows I can't get to? I won't complain even if a fair number of '70s or (shudder) even '80s cars pictures  are posted.These days, family issues have me pretty well tied down and I rarely get out to see any shows. So any good concours or tour photos are usually enjoyed. 

KEEP POSTING! It IS appreciated. The one thing I would ask, is show us some of the early cars as well as the later stuff. I say that, and note that you did so, and THAT is very much appreciated also!

Than you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 3makes said:

A couple notes here. Hemmings wasn't associated with the Bennington Car Show for its last several years, after the Chamber of Commerce took over the show. The last several iterations of the show took place at Willow Park. Whether it'll come back is up to the Chamber of Commerce.

I highly doubt a Hemmings employee told you that nobody is interested in any sort of old cars. We celebrate every aspect of historical motoring and don't turn away any any make or model.

That said, thank you for visiting Hemmings, and please do try to make it up to one of our cruise nights next year.

Dan

• Like 1

Had some really nice cars at a local concours show that we have attended for years, but not again. Car with rust on fenders, dirty rumble seat and was missing two center caps on the wheels was awarded an award over other nicer cars. Didn't make a lot of sense. Talked to some others that said they wouldn't return to this show again. Sad to hear and see things like this about the hobby. I'll stick with the AACA judging.

21 hours ago, 3makes said:

I was not there so I can't comment on what was actually said, but I would say if the folks there said that - that comment is as offensive as yours could be interpreted.  You know as well as we do that there are still a lot of fans of brass era, teens and twenties but it is simply a declining interest group.   There are so many reasons that have nothing to do with a person's interest in this era.   The cars themselves are in many cases over 100 years old and MUST be trailered, MUST be carefully unloaded, and though the mechanics are considered simple, if something breaks it could be unobtainium. 

Add to that the market pressures we have seen in the past 40 years where many brass era cars were purchased and refurbished by aging owners for pennies on the dollar but they now want $45,000 to $75,000 to pass them along to the next generation, then I can tell you the market is not going to increase. 

Just now, B Jake Moran said:

Add to that the market pressures we have seen in the past 40 years where many brass era cars were purchased and refurbished by aging owners for pennies on the dollar but they now want $45,000 to $75,000 to pass them along to the next generation, then I can tell you the market is not going to increase. 

Guess they are giving away HEMI powered Barracudas to the "Young People" , right? 

Bob 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Guess they are giving away HEMI powered Barracudas to the "Young People" , right? 

Bob 

Go down to the local Dodge dealer, get a new hemi for same money, drive it anywhere you want and have no fears of breaking down and not finding parts for weeks, financing is easy to get and so on.  To many that is what they want in a specialty car.  Not everyone for sure but for some it is.  I would like to have both types of vehicles but even a bicycle is beyond my realm now.