Buick in a Buick

bhemi

Every new thing we add we have to keep asking ourselves. "does it interfere with anything else and can we service it and the components around it?" The power steering pump had to be that tight to make sure we could still access the suspension to do a wheel alignment. We keep grinding away on the body work. I am slowly getting frustrated with the issues that crop up after years of work. The new tool tray and rear pan showed us the deck lid was warped. Getting the power windows in made us realize the passengers door had taken a pretty good hit at one point. two steps forward.....

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 9:24 AM, bhemi said:

Every new thing we add we have to keep asking ourselves. "does it interfere with anything else and can we service it and the components around it?" ..... I am slowly getting frustrated with the issues that crop up after years of work. .....

I completely understand that! My last personal project, (squarebody c10 before they became so popular and expensive!) truck snowballed into every single piece of the puzzle getting modified ranging from subtle to fairly wild. Frame laying auto leveling air suspension, full custom interior, handmade sheet metal dash, lots of metal flake, etc. and with regularly working on it, it didnt see the light of day for probably 7yrs. my Buick is staying pretty close to stock, but really i'm probably closer to a custom guy at heart. There's alot of fun that comes from the freedom of being able to do whatever, and its eventually satisfying, it just takes a long time to get there.  After that truck, its definitely why my '37 is staying relatively bare bones.

You'll get there, its just a long, tedious ride there! 

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

For example this was the door fix. Now it fits the door opening. The power window motor works and it looks like the door on the other side. If one more guy tells me "it works in a '37 Chevy so it will work in a '37 Buick" I may go postal. When we phoned NuRelic they claimed to have told us about the "fix" to make it work in a Buick..... All good now but delay after delay. 

buickdoor#1.jpg

buickdoor#2.jpg

buickdoor#3.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Some progress. The trunk lid kicked our butts. All of edges had micro pinholes of rust. We re-skinnbuicktooltray.jpg.a6f2cfc2f6c7002e72651c6485c38458.jpged the edges but then it warped and no amount of metal work would get it to fit so we split it in two and made a whole new skin. In the meantime we finished the modified trunk pan and tool tray. That looks good at least. In July it will be three years since we started. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finally some real progress. The body is back off the frame for the all the new panels to be TIG welded together. The floor pan and trunk floor are complete with a brand new trunk lid skin made by hand. The body must have a couple of hundred Cleco fasteners holding it together. The floor pan, trunk floor, trunk lid, tool tray and widened rear wheel tubs were all built by hand. In the one pic where we have the engine in for test fitting notice the crazy headers. The nailhead is a lot wider than the old straight eight. Plus we added A/C and a power steering pump. 

Buickbodyweld#1.jpg

buickbodyweld#4.jpg

• Like 4