Sign in to follow this  
bhemi

Buick in a Buick

I recently passed the one year anniversary of my '37 coupe build. It has been a long haul just getting the engineering and suspension done. The engine is a 1964 401. 0.030 over with forged pistons, roller rockers from TA performance. We just ordered the Tremec 6 speed from American Power Train. The fuel injection is Hilborn but EFI. If you look closely you can see the bell housing which is a Quick Time unit. Rear end is True Trac posi 9 inch with 3.73:1 gears. Chassis is Art Morrison. Triangulated 4 Bar out back and IFS up front with an Opel rack. Engine is sitting in just for mock up. On the road by July 2020 (hopefully). Painting the car 1965 Riviera Bamboo Cream. 95% stock interior but being redone in leather. Adding A/C and power windows. 

buickenginetestfit.jpg

• Like 8

Here is what it looks like underneath. We dipped the body at Redi-Strip. The amount of rust was minimal. 

buickframe#2.jpg

• Like 2

Are you having issues with flash rust? It seems like you would have wanted to put some kind of protective primer on it after striping it. That engine is beautiful. Do you have a wider shot of the whole car? 

You get a tiny bit of discoloration but flash rust is minimal. The car was last on the road in the late '50's or early '60's all the filler on the car is lead. Zero plastic. The minor body work on fenders and patches is all being TIG welded and metal finished so we are leaving it bare until all that is done. 

On 9/20/2019 at 3:26 AM, bhemi said:

I recently passed the one year anniversary of my '37 coupe build. It has been a long haul just getting the engineering and suspension done. The engine is a 1964 401. 0.030 over with forged pistons, roller rockers from TA performance. We just ordered the Tremec 6 speed from American Power Train. The fuel injection is Hilborn but EFI. If you look closely you can see the bell housing which is a Quick Time unit. Rear end is True Trac posi 9 inch with 3.73:1 gears. Chassis is Art Morrison. Triangulated 4 Bar out back and IFS up front with an Opel rack. Engine is sitting in just for mock up. On the road by July 2020 (hopefully). Painting the car 1965 Riviera Bamboo Cream. 95% stock interior but being redone in leather. Adding A/C and power windows. 

buickenginetestfit.jpg

Wow, that’s great to see a Buick in a Buick. Love the colour choice and cant wait to see the end result. It’s what the factory would have done if they had the Nailhead ready in that year.

just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 2

Update. The T56 magnum 6 speed is different from the predecessor TKO which was used in the last generation  Camaros etc. So I needed a new bell-housing. We took the entire floor out but will reuse about 2/3 of it. We need to fab a a center "hump" because the T56 is a big transmission. It will only be about 2" above the stock floor pan and I will still be able to use the stock bench.  

37buicktransmission.jpg

• Like 2

Love the car and your vision for it completed. there's  something about the 37-38 body lines that is so appealing. i'm embarking on a 37 special coupe with a Nailhead myself. no custom chassis or Hillborne injection though. just a factory dual quad. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Bob

. I think a great car can be built modifying the stock frame to accommodate modern IFS and open diff and using a nailhead.  A lot of the stuff I am doing is overkill but I wanted to do it once in my life. I could have saved a ton of money by using a small block and an automatic but what is the fun in that? I am keeping as much of the body and interior as stock as possible at great expense. Lol. 

I’m curious what redistrip charges for a complete car to be dipped nowadays. For reference my 38 Chev coupe cost $940 to do the entire body including doors,hood,trunk,fenders, nose cone ,interior garnish moldings and miscellaneous small parts. That was in 1985.

On 2/21/2020 at 6:36 AM, RiKi5156B said:

I’m curious what redistrip charges for a complete car to be dipped nowadays. For reference my 38 Chev coupe cost $940 to do the entire body including doors,hood,trunk,fenders, nose cone ,interior garnish moldings and miscellaneous small parts. That was in 1985.

In Canadian dollars well past $5000. We did the doors several times. The "waffle" sound deadening in the doors was a bear to get out. We heated and scraped it several times first. 

Some progress. We had to make new floors as the Tremec is a large transmission. We made a dummy drive shaft out of exhaust pipe and put u-joints on it. Under the black cloth is the transmission. A wooden pattern was made and the strengthening ribs from the original floor were copied exactly. The little holes are where it was bolted to the pattern. A "u" shaped die was made for body of the ribs and a round one for the ends and then it was put through the Pullmax. The floor will be in three pieces. The left and right sides will be welded in and the center section will be a removable tunnel. The center section will come up like stock and we will be using the stock bench seat. The cardboard "box" with the three arms is the below floor pedal assembly model we made up. 

buicknewfloor.jpg

buicknewfloor2.jpg

• Like 3

Really like your project “ Buick in a Buick”

When I bought my ‘38 Buick I found a ‘66 or ‘67 Riviera had a similar wheel base and thought it would make a great swap.Full chassis with Nailhead and auto transmission with good brakes in a nice vintage body!

nah, was never going to happen but the thought was there.

I think the interior mirror design was the sticking point 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Will keep looking in.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

Cool! I didn't know you had a thread going on here, and I know your hamb one got nuked. Really cool engine, and with the Hillborn efi and tremec, should be a blast! before I found my 320, my choices were going to be dictated by what i found, and was either going to be a straight 8 that i have now, or a nailhead and Muncie. I like your doing it overkill sentiment, its a lot of fun to have a bit of fun and freedom, and would definitely say i went overkill on my last project c10 with every piece of the puzzle changed or modified, but that also sort of pushed my '37 century project in the opposite barebones direction, though there are a few deviations from the standard straight 8 that i am doing in regard to intake and exhaust. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing this come together!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stooge said:

Cool! I didn't know you had a thread going on here, and I know your hamb one got nuked. Really cool engine, and with the Hillborn efi and tremec, should be a blast! before I found my 320, my choices were going to be dictated by what i found, and was either going to be a straight 8 that i have now, or a nailhead and Muncie. I like your doing it overkill sentiment, its a lot of fun to have a bit of fun and freedom, and would definitely say i went overkill on my last project c10 with every piece of the puzzle changed or modified, but that also sort of pushed my '37 century project in the opposite barebones direction, though there are a few deviations from the standard straight 8 that i am doing in regard to intake and exhaust. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing this come together!

I got a little too aggressive at HAMB about what constituted a traditional hot rod. :)  I didn't like guys with a 'glass 32 roadster, a purchased frame ,a crate Chevy and a turbo 350 telling me they were purists. This is the latest on the floor. Once we fit the toe boards and cowl section we will form a center section and install it with nutserts . The outboard sections will be welded in and merged with the new rocker panels we made. Trunk section is in progress as well as mini-tubs in the trunk to fit more tire. We got the power window kit in from Nu-Relics. Way better than those cheesy wire ones. Really nice USA product https://www.nu-relics.com/chevrolet-s/206.htm

buickfloorpan#1.jpg

• Like 2

this is one beautiful picture. LOVE what you're doing here, keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

buickenginetestfit.jpg