Lock Ring Rims 28"

Andrew Kyle

I would suggest that for 28 inch wire spoke wheels on a car, which likely would be one of significant power and speed capability, You would have a lot of spokes missing for usual lacing patterns.   I have 28 inch beaded edge Rudge Whitworth wire wheels for clincher/beaded edge tyres.   Originally I had a good few more than two sets of wheels with the big hub fitting that has six flat-top splines, which are supposed to stop the wheel centre oscillating and fretting on the hub.  I retained a set of five very good wheels for my 1911 Napier.  Bob Chamberlain was desperate for wheel hubs for the fastidious re- creation of Napier's first great 6 cylinder racing car "Samson".   This was built using the original engine, which apparently had been stored and ignored under a bench in the factory when Napier built and fitted a bigger one to shift the scenery faster at Daytona.  I understand that he spent a significant time in months transcribing Arthur Rowledge's  notes from his design notebooks from when they built the original car.   In the late 1960s and most of the 1970s we would find, understand, and conserve things that were significant; and no money was expected to change hands when they went to someone who had genuine need, and genuine intentions to help other people in return.  I was later disappointed that Bob's consumption of early Rudge Whitworth wheels was less need than greed.   So he had one set of 895x135  beaded edge wheels and tyres to be more period-correct,  and another set with 700 x 20 or 21 straight sided tyres that Dunlop had supplied to be safe around 100mph ( if I remember correctly).  My other leftover wheel centres I gave to Ray Whyte for his big early 4 cylinder T head 1907 Mercedes.  ( Ray was a vital silent witness in a considerable period of Australian politican history.   Ray was  police bodyguard to a number of Australian Prime Ministers, and also to Governor General Sir John Kerr.  He and I always stayed with a mutual friend for Bendigo Swap.   We talked about our antique cars but I never asked him questions.  He did decide to share information about the truth of what happened when Prime Minister Whitlam was dismissed ; and it seems he wanted someone to know the difference between the truth and fiction.)  I will check the spoke numbers and  rows of my Napier wheels for you.  If you don't get it right you may be making an entry for the Darwin Awards.   Of theR W wheels into the 1920s, most American wheels had 72 spokes,  and occasionally you could find similar wheels of the same size with English 70 spoke pattern..    Surprisingly, nobody was ever spark enough to see the difference when I used a combination of 72 and 70 spoke wheels on my 1918 Mercer...………...

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, Ivan Saxton said:

I would suggest that for 28 inch wire spoke wheels on a car, which likely would be one of significant power and speed capability, You would have a lot of spokes missing for usual lacing patterns.   I have 28 inch beaded edge Rudge Whitworth wire wheels for clincher/beaded edge tyres.   Originally I had a good few more than two sets of wheels with the big hub fitting that has six flat-top splines, which are supposed to stop the wheel centre oscillating and fretting on the hub.  I retained a set of five very good wheels for my 1911 Napier.  Bob Chamberlain was desperate for wheel hubs for the fastidious re- creation of Napier's first great 6 cylinder racing car "Samson".   This was built using the original engine, which apparently had been stored and ignored under a bench in the factory when Napier built and fitted a bigger one to shift the scenery faster at Daytona.  I understand that he spent a significant time in months transcribing Arthur Rowledge's  notes from his design notebooks from when they built the original car.   In the late 1960s and most of the 1970s we would find, understand, and conserve things that were significant; and no money was expected to change hands when they went to someone who had genuine need, and genuine intentions to help other people in return.  I was later disappointed that Bob's consumption of early Rudge Whitworth wheels was less need than greed.   So he had one set of 895x135  beaded edge wheels and tyres to be more period-correct,  and another set with 700 x 20 or 21 straight sided tyres that Dunlop had supplied to be safe around 100mph ( if I remember correctly).  My other leftover wheel centres I gave to Ray Whyte for his big early 4 cylinder T head 1907 Mercedes.  ( Ray was a vital silent witness in a considerable period of Australian politican history.   Ray was  police bodyguard to a number of Australian Prime Ministers, and also to Governor General Sir John Kerr.  He and I always stayed with a mutual friend for Bendigo Swap.   We talked about our antique cars but I never asked him questions.  He did decide to share information about the truth of what happened when Prime Minister Whitlam was dismissed ; and it seems he wanted someone to know the difference between the truth and fiction.)  I will check the spoke numbers and  rows of my Napier wheels for you.  If you don't get it right you may be making an entry for the Darwin Awards.   Of theR W wheels into the 1920s, most American wheels had 72 spokes,  and occasionally you could find similar wheels of the same size with English 70 spoke pattern..    Surprisingly, nobody was ever spark enough to see the difference when I used a combination of 72 and 70 spoke wheels on my 1918 Mercer...………...

Hello Ivan, apologies for some reason I missed your reply only just reading this now

I am not looking for rims for wire wheels, I am looking for 28" lock ring rims for wooden wheels for my 1905 Panhard Levassor 24hp, these will be to fit straight sided tyres size 37" x 4 1/2", any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers Andy   

On 9/21/2019 at 8:55 PM, Layden B said:

I cannot help, just asked about brand to help others.

Several different manufacturers made 28" rims with rings and the pieces do not interchange.

Good Luck

Hello Sir, do you have a for sale advert on the hcca website for 37" x 4 1/4" straight sided tyres with tubes and flaps are these still for sale, if this is your advert I have tried to send you an email via the hcca site without any success   

About 10 years ago I had a pair of 28" rims and rings made for my 1911 Cadillac by Coker.  You could try them for rings.

I still have the old rings (2) from my Cadillac.  They are solid, but would require a little work to get them back to a nice circle again.  I can send a picture if you like.

Peter