1953 Dodge 230 engine water jacket help

Sactownog

need help! I have tried to get this water tube out of the engine for a couple weeks now. the engine is completely torn down, EXCEPT the water jacket will not pull out. 

I have used PB Blaster, WD40, a screw driver to wedge around the outer jacket to bend it in and try to get a good grip, but nothing. I am boarder line ready to leave the tube in and just say fk it. 

how the heck do I get this stupid water jacket out of the block? 

all help is good help.

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Very stiff wire bent like a hook or a slide hammer. They usually come out in pieces if rusty.

so in the jacket, I do see an open area (like a slide or slit in the metal). are you recommending that I get a wire/hook, put it in that area and tug the sh*t out of it! 

I will try this. its been a pain in the but. 

3 minutes ago, Sactownog said:

so in the jacket, I do see an open area (like a slide or slit in the metal). are you recommending that I get a wire/hook, put it in that area and tug the sh*t out of it! 

I will try this. its been a pain in the but. 

Yes. Jam it in as far as it will go and pull HARD! They are usually a pain in the butt.

Jack M are you being sarcastic?  LOL  The video doesn't show show what the puller tool is made of or its shape.  It also doesn't show how the comealong is anchored which, I guess, is fine.  I just find it weird that the video begins with the guy cranking on a comealong and <pop> out comes the tube. All done!  Again, LOL.  

This is an important issue to me since I'll soon be pulling my D2's radiator for repair/replacement and this is obviously the ideal time to replace the tube.

• Like 1

OK, so I have to build a straight bar with a hook on one end and a hole on the other to pull the tube out. 

CAN ANYONE TELL ME how tall /wide the bar should be? the engine is not at my home so I would have to wait until Monday to build the bar unless someone could measure the top to bottom of the water jacket for me. 

2 hours ago, Sactownog said:

OK, so I have to build a straight bar with a hook on one end and a hole on the other to pull the tube out. 

CAN ANYONE TELL ME how tall /wide the bar should be? the engine is not at my home so I would have to wait until Monday to build the bar unless someone could measure the top to bottom of the water jacket for me. 

You could probably use a 3/16" flat bar and notch the end as a hook. The tube is nearly as long as the block, but it has a series of slots in the top to yank on.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Remove the tube.  If you leave the rusty, clogged up one in the block, you will not get proper cooling in the rear of the engine.  They are a real pain to get out.  Don’t be surprised if it tears in half when you’re pulling it out.  The tube in my 48 Plymouth came out in four pieces. I spent two days of frustration digging in there, pulling out pieces and trying to get the hook on what was left.  They used to sell copper replacements which don’t rust like the steel ones, but it’s been a few years since I underwent this particular torture.  I used a slide hammer on my hook, which helped, but it also tore the tube to pieces when I got a bit overenthusiastic.  Have fun!

16 hours ago, keiser31 said:

just made this guy an offer of $50 and he accepted right away, I purchased it just now. 

which means, I need to get this tube out, even if it means taking it to an engine shop. 

23 hours ago, Pete in PA said:

Jack M are you being sarcastic?  LOL  The video doesn't show show what the puller tool is made of or its shape.  It also doesn't show how the comealong is anchored which, I guess, is fine.  I just find it weird that the video begins with the guy cranking on a comealong and <pop> out comes the tube. All done!  Again, LOL.  

This is an important issue to me since I'll soon be pulling my D2's radiator for repair/replacement and this is obviously the ideal time to replace the tube.

Well, Kinda, The come-a-long thing made me smile.

No matter what method you try it is going to a pain in the but .    Some thing like a brake cylinder hone with a long flex and hone it out. Is it possible to remove a few frost plugs and direct a torch flame inside ? I do not know. May be, just maybe.   An alternative is to acid dip the whole block. Will clean the inside of the channels too. The stuck tube will may get loose. .