Restorer32

In the interest of historical accuracy

19 hours ago, W_Higgins said:

The people that designed these things weren't idiots and replacing steel parts with solid brass often spells trouble.

I agree, but castings made from Silica Bronze are much stronger, & look like solid brass.  Local club members and I have used a local foundry to cast silica bronze for windshield supports, shift levers, and other high stress components (see below).

Silicon Bronze

Silicon Bronze is a high-strength, highly corrosion resistant material with nonmagnetic properties. It is generally as strong as steel. Because of its composition, it is more difficult to machine. However, it is excellent for use in general marine applications, as well as pumps, heavy equipment, fittings, and boilers.

Silicon Bronze, C655

Minimum Properties

Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 85,000
Yield Strength, psi 55,000
Elongation in 2" 20%
Rockwell Hardness B90

Chemistry

Copper (Cu) 97.0% min
Iron (Fe) 0.8% max
Manganese (Mn) 1.5% max
Nickel (Ni) 0.6% max
Lead (Pb) 0.5% max
Silicon (Si) 2.8 - 3.8%
Zinc (Zn) 1.5% max

Alcobra Metals states that all technical data is for comparison purposes only and is NOT FOR DESIGN. It has been compiled from sources we believe to be accurate but cannot guarantee. Please consult an Engineer.

Copied from: https://alcobrametals.com/guides/bronze

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Shaw said:

I agree, but castings made from Silica Bronze are much stronger, & look like solid brass.  Local club members and I have used a local foundry to cast silica bronze for windshield supports, shift levers, and other high stress components (see below).

Silica Bronze is good stuff and certainly has it's place, but it's apples-and-oranges with respect to my original comment regarding the substitution of solid brass parts for parts that were formerly brass plated steel.

That aside, polished silica bronze looks like polished silica bronze to me.  On cars that sport both polished bronze and brass hardware, the contrast is clear.    

WP_20190118_11_08_50_Pro.jpg

On the subject of misinformation from experts...

Back in the 70's, we were on a short tour up through the Catskill Mountains with some family members and my brother was driving is Morgan +4. As we were leaving the breakfast spot, I overheard a young boy ask his father about the marque Morgan. His father replied that it was a Morgan made by it's parent company MG which stood for Morgan Garages... I l learned something new that day....

Frank

I was once told that MG was French and stood for Morris Gararga.

And then there is (warning political content) how Swallow Sidecars became Jaguar because "SS" had bad connotations.

Fun (but nothing to do with brass other than an attitude)  is how names have changed for different reasons:

Russian dressing

Dolphin

Patagonian toothfish 

Idlewild

Maybe we need a banter thread...

• Like 1

We have brass plated the brass (on a whole car excepting the radiator shell) - the need came due to various different metals used matched to impurities in the metal and plenty of abuse/time, plus and unfortunately we believed the car would score low in AACA judging as a result.  The good news is that brass plated brass holds up longer in finish and really did look stunning. 

20 hours ago, padgett said:

Swallow Sidecars became Jaguar because "SS" had bad connotations

I think that should be Super Swallow. Just to be historically accurate.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 12:22 PM, padgett said:

And then there is (warning political content) how Swallow Sidecars became Jaguar because "SS" had bad connotations.

In the 1930's Studebaker was forced to change their model name, 'Dictator' to 'Director' in certain markets.  

And Chevrolet's use of the 'SS' also had some backlash in 2014:  https://www.foxnews.com/auto/chevrolet-ss-model-criticized-in-israel-for-evoking-name-of-nazi-organization

Had GM chose to market the 'SS' in Israel, it no doubt would have been sold under a different name.

Craig

8 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Did the 1932 Chevrolet Confederate Coupe sell better in the south? 

Makes one wonder.

Did early Dodges sell better in Israel because of the 'Double-Delta' on the radiator badge?

Craig

Allard "Palm Beach", Mustang "California Special", Citroen "Sahara".

They were probably rarely, if ever, seen. When the Dodge car appeared, what is now Israel was part of the Ottoman Empire. After WWI it was governed by Britain under a League of Nations mandate. How many Dodge cars  might have been imported is an interesting question but the US Army, which used a lot of them in France, never had any units in the Middle East during the war so they wouldn't have been seen through that source. Israel didn't become an independent country until 1947 when Palestine was partitioned by the United Nations. I do think it is possible that it helped the sale of Dodge cars in urban areas of the US where Henry Fords overt anti-Semitism turned a lot of people off - not only Jews. I have read - and don't have the citation at hand - that the anti-Semetic campaign almost wiped out the sale of Ford cars in cities with significant Jewish populations and that the largest single Ford dealer sent in his papers and became a Dodge Brothers dealer. It was apparently also a Ford thing to distribute copies of the Dearborn Independent (Ford's newspaper and the spearhead of the anti-Semitic campaign) to dealers with instruction they were to be handed out to customers. Many dealers paid for them and destroyed them rather than offend their customers.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 8E45E said:

nd Chevrolet's use of the 'SS' also had some backlash in 2014:  https://www.foxnews.com/auto/chevrolet-ss-model-criticized-in-israel-for-evoking-name-of-nazi-organization

Had GM chose to market the 'SS' in Israel, it no doubt would have been sold under a different name.

It is interesting that the Fox news article has no byline other than Fox News. It was probably circulated through the office and the writers replied "I'm not putting my name on that stupid sensationalist crap. Who runs Fox now? He should put his name on anything they can't publish without a byline, in bold print.

Reminds me, I have found a great way to maintain historical accuracy in current news. Any time a current news story brings in two or more reporters, editors, or other collaborators of the media occupation I switch the TV to reruns of Green Acres.

And to other matters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Cars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

From Jaguar Cars own website re: name change from `SS Cars` to `Jaguar Cars' :  https://www.jaguar.com/about-jaguar/80-years-of-jaguar/80-years-of-jaguar-part-1.html

As per the third paragraph under the heading, 1935: Jaguar Springs to Life:

"Due to the notoriety that the SS name had acquired during the war, the evolution to Jaguar seemed like a natural one and the name became company-wide in 1945. The Jaguar marque was born."

I don't always trust Wikipedia.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Leave us just say that by July 1934, The initials "SS" had a bad reputation.

13 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Makes one wonder.

Did early Dodges sell better in Israel because of the 'Double-Delta' on the radiator badge?

Craig

The Country of Israel did not exist when that logo was used

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

This sure sounds like one of those late evening sessions we have at Hershey-talking stuff.   Who knows where it'll drift off to next.  Somebody pour me another scotch...

Terry

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2019 at 7:19 PM, 8E45E said:

In the 1930's Studebaker was forced to change their model name, 'Dictator' to 'Director' in certain markets.  

And Chevrolet's use of the 'SS' also had some backlash in 2014:  https://www.foxnews.com/auto/chevrolet-ss-model-criticized-in-israel-for-evoking-name-of-nazi-organization

Craig

In the early 1930s, Pacific System Homes (Los Angeles) introduced the Swastika model surfboard, the first commercially produced surfboard line, so-named for the swastika design that marked each board. Although a symbol of harmony and good luck in various cultures around the world, the swastika disappeared from Pacific System Homes surfboards with the rise of Nazi Germany, and the company changed the name to Waikiki Surf-Boards in 1938

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Besides Studebaker, the Hudson`s Bay department store in Canada had a line of home appliances and some other household items sold under their own 'Dictator' label before things went wrong.  I posted a Dictator radio here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/26540-time-and-technology-marches-on/page2?25892-Time-and-technology-marches-on=&highlight=dictator+department

Craig