Correct replacement cigar lighter for 1964

SurfGreen64

The hard thing to find is the fuse.  You'll also note that some have a round connector and some have a spade lug.  IMHO, forget an original fuse (half of them don't work anyway) and redo the wiring to add an 30A inline fuse connected directly to the lighter.

And don't use both lighters (as lighters) at once; the wiring isn't robust enough for that.  You're probably OK to use them as power outlets for a phone, GPS, etc.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

If you don't plan on using the lighter to light your cigars, you might consider replacing the unit with one just designed to supply 12V as a charging unit.

Ed, thank you for the information regarding a charging unit. I have a pretty neat compass, but it doesn’t help with street directions. I got lost on Pittsburgh and it took an hour for me to find my destination 12 miles away. My lighter doesn’t work so I’ll put in the 12v charger for a portable GPS. That’s a right good idea. Thank you.

Turbinator

For you ROA members, there is a write up in the Tech Tips section of the For Members Only section on the Rivowners.org website about the existing lighter in 1st generation Rivieras and suggestions for replacing it. There's also an excellent explanation as to why these lighter elements cannot be used as charging units.

• Like 1