Best Place for an Old Car Guy to Retire?

63RedBrier

I can say that the car hobby is alive and well here in Southeastern North Carolina. House prices have shot up quite a bit here, but we still have plenty of people moving here. Wilmington is a hot real estate market with many people relocating here over the past few years. Traffic is worse than it used to be but nothing to compare to a lot of other places. There are other smaller towns in the area which would probably be great choices if you are seeking a smaller town. I would recommend visting several areas to see how well they match what you are looking for.  

Mark, Aiken is about 80 miles from Beaufort, 2 hours from Atlanta, savannah, and Charlottesville, 20 miles from Augusta. So access to larger cities without the hassle is good. Housing cost went up for a while but have still been reasonable. Our place is 2400 sq ft, 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath on a 1/4 acre in a gated golf community for under $300k. 
As far as the car community check the AACA chapters I believe there is one in Greenville or very near it. Closest to me is about 50-60 miles I believe. As far as getting the cars down here if you have a pickup rent a car trailer from haul. Then what I did was put the car in a storage garage for a month before we closed on the house. We made a few trips doing that but we were a lot closer than you are in MN. Good luck and maybe we will see each other at some event. 
dave s 

Maryland is not a bad state to retire. There has been some moves to stop taxing retires for certain things.  If I would recommend what area of MD to retire it would be the eastern shore and or western MD.  Plenty of destinations to drive your car and enjoy. Always a handful of cars shows and cruise in every weekend. Car clubs abound. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)