63RedBrier

Best Place for an Old Car Guy to Retire?

On 9/20/2019 at 9:36 AM, Pfeil said:

Prescott at 5,000 feet IS surrounded on THREE SIDES  by forest!  I have 27 trees on my property! We might or might not get 95 degrees a few days a year Like Seattle or L.A. did this year. And early this unusual year we did get a record 12" of snow that lasted a hole of two days. 

Three sides of this;

Image result for pictures of prescott national forest

and on the other side;

See the source image

See the source image

You guys are wasting your time in Florida

• Haha 1

Can visit the dry states but wake up with a sore throat every morning. Prefer air I can feel going down.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, capngrog said:

Whatever you do, stay away from Florida.  We have oppressive heat, hurricanes, alligators, pythons, mosquitos, lustbugs, lightning, sink holes, Rainbow People, HOAs from hell, tornados, red tide, citrus greening, oppressive humidity, plague and pestilence.  Where ever you are, you're better off staying there.  Oh, yeah, and sometimes, even earthquakes. 

Cheers,

Grog

About five years ago, my brother moved down to the Lakeland-Tampa area, as soon as he got there, he was bragging to me about how great it was, about a year later, he couldn't wait to get out. He's a welder, he took a job down there in some big fab shop, everything mentioned above, plus, he said the drug problem is really bad there, guys were smoking meth or crack right in the shop and nobody cared. Lot's of burglaries etc.

Back in the late 70's, my wife and I went down to Daytona, I pulled up to a stoplight like I always did in Detroit, cop gives me a whoop on the siren, I look over and he's pointing at my front tires, I thought I was getting a flat, nope, he was telling me stay behind the wide line at the light. A lot has changed apparently.

-Ron

Always amazes me when people pull out across the crosswalk and then wonder why the light never changes - they are past the loop.

You might look in to pension plans.. FYI - may be cheap to live but they need money down the road..

Some states are under water..

Massachusetts, $76.9 billion, more than Egypt

One unique reason for Massachusetts’ unfunded pension debt is that it is one of a handful states to allow public employees to cash out unused sick and vacation days at retirement. Local media reported that 1,000 state retirees earned $100,000 or more in pension pay last year. Massachusetts has more debt than Egypt's $75 billion.

Michigan, $33.7 billion, more than Tunisia

The majority of Michigan's debt stems from unfunded pension and health-care benefits. Yet it's an issue that varies widely across the state, with some municipalities' pension systems fully funded while others are just 50% funded

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

11 hours ago, nick8086 said:

You might look in to pension plans.. FYI - may be cheap to live but they need money down the road..

Some states are under water..

Massachusetts, $76.9 billion, more than Egypt

One unique reason for Massachusetts’ unfunded pension debt is that it is one of a handful states to allow public employees to cash out unused sick and vacation days at retirement. Local media reported that 1,000 state retirees earned $100,000 or more in pension pay last year. Massachusetts has more debt than Egypt's $75 billion.

Michigan, $33.7 billion, more than Tunisia

The majority of Michigan's debt stems from unfunded pension and health-care benefits. Yet it's an issue that varies widely across the state, with some municipalities' pension systems fully funded while others are just 50% funded

California 1.5 trillion debt,  and something like 49% above the national average cost of living. Only Hawaii higher at 50%. Depending on where you are living in Ca. gasoline is around 4.50+ and rising for a gallon of regular 89. I think it's called paradise tax. Certainly a lot of Tesla's in L.A. county especially where I'm at right now in Redondo Beach. I've never seen so many.  Leaving for home in Prescott AZ. a few minutes. Will be nice to be back in America again.

Agreed on the Tesla's everywhere in California.   I see 5x there than what I see in Mass.

I paid 6.49 a gallon in California last week in the boondocks.

I also got to see the start and middle portion of the Kincaid fire in Sonoma and Russian River Vally. 

The blackouts to prevent fires didn’t work.....they started five fires, burned half the valley, and with no power, getting gas for a 80 year old gas hog was interesting.

California is a third world country...........and it’s a shame.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I also got to see the start and middle portion of the Kincaid fire in Sonoma and Russian River Vally. 

The blackouts to prevent fires didn’t work.....they started five fires, burned half the valley, and with no power, getting gas for a 80 year old gas hog was interesting.

I don't know what to say. Born and raised here. After my mom passed I moved back into my childhood home and sold my small place in Southern California. I was without power for the better part of a week, and no water since I have a well. I did not buy a generator because I was expected to NOT be in the blackout area.

We've had some very dry Octobers the past few years, and crazy strong winds from the east. That is mainly coincidence IMO.

The fire was started by a failed high voltage transmission line. 10,000 volt - plus maybe. Those are supposed to be fool proof. And all vegetation under and around them is clear -cut.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

"California is a third world country " - thought MIA was the first US third world airport.

ps Fla state debt in 2019 is $25.93 B. the lowest since 2004.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Mike.....I was in Santa Rosa several times two weeks ago. We stayed in Sonoma at the Mission Inn........and went to Petaluma to see the Keller Collection, as well as another collection in Santa Rosa. 

I use to spend a week a year in the Bay Area........loved the restaurants, all the sights, Sausalito, Marin county, and all the other top things to see and do. Now the city is filled with bums, homeless, trash, it’s dirty, disgusting, and I now refuse to visit.....the only reason I went was the Duesenberg Tour. The people living along side the highway in Santa Rosa was stunningly sad...........sanctuary cities and states are becoming a cesspool. I feel sorry for the hard working people who have to live with all the mess now.......

14 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I live but 1 mile from this. There are in excess of 100 tents now reportedly. No available solution either.

Trail.jpg

Trail2.jpg

It could be worse, you could live across the street

Things could be WAY worse than living ACROSS THE STREET from that. Actually, in some ways it looks better kept than the week long line camps I used to see. Just a- hangin'  and a-partyin',  just a-countin' the days down to a big name rock concert way back when I was on a "hip trip". But that is COOL when you are young and able. IT ain't when you AIN'T !!!     Then and now,   -   Cadillac Carl 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

In West Michigan by the Gilmore Car museum I paid $2.09 a gallon for my pickup and then at the same gas station paid $2.69 a gallon for 100% ethanol free gas for my old cars.  I could not imagine paying those prices in California! 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 11:25 PM, Frank DuVal said:

Are you warning us about the new residents or the bears?

Both.   Up here they ask,  "If it's Tourist Season, Why can't we shoot them?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2019 at 2:36 PM, 63RedBrier said:

In the next six months to three years I plan on retiring...  I'll be in my mid-50's and currently live in the Washington DC area.  I'll be looking for a state that doesn't tax federal retirement.  I'm thinking either Pennsylvania (think Hershey/Carlisle) or North Carolina.  Any suggestions? 

Since I will have worked in a office environment for 30+ years I would like to finally work with my hands and turn wrenches, especially on old vehicles!  Any suggestions?  Anyone have a shop where they would need eager help?  Willing to relocate.  Thanks!  Greg 

I was in the same situation 25 years ago.  I sold out in Maryland and moved to the Northern Neck of Virginia (Montross).  It was a good fit....no car club though.  So rounded up all the old car people I could find on the Neck and invited them to my place with their cars.  Wala, the Northern Neck Region was born in 1993 and is still very active today; although I made the mistake of moving to Sebring, Florida in 2005.  I long to go back to Montross, even though they did tax my federal retirement.  However, with the political situation in Virginia now, I don't think I'd  be happy there like before.  That said, we got rid of the Virginia Personal Property Tax on old cars while I was President of the club.  Beware of N.Carolina because they still have a Personal Property Tax.  To me, Central Florida sucks....nothing here but old guys with pony tails and hot rods, except certain locations like Miami and Lake City....maybe a few clubs on the coasts.   No State Income Tax here, though, on any income.  Because of that, were I to sell and move (very expensive when you get 81 and can't do the work yourself), I'd probably move to Lake City area because it is the closest place in Florida to the Northern Neck.

As much as tax situation sucks in CT, CA and VA are examples of how quickly things change.  We have relatives who spent five years planning escape from CT to VA, pulled trigger this year, and in process of building.  Recent changes are a virtual guarantee things will be changing for the worse there, tax wise.  Be sure you like the place for what it truly is and not just cost of living.

22 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

As much as tax situation sucks in CT, CA and VA are examples of how quickly things change.  We have relatives who spent five years planning escape from CT to VA, pulled trigger this year, and in process of building.  Recent changes are a virtual guarantee things will be changing for the worse there, tax wise.  Be sure you like the place for what it truly is and not just cost of living.

You could see the change gradually coming in Ca. in the 70's. But what did it in for Ca. was the 51% majority to pass legislation law that happened a few years back. It used to be a 2/3 majority to pass laws. Now they just do what they want and spend with money they don't have. 

• Like 1

CT has same issue.  A concern but not quite ready to uproot unless the boy does it first.  

You made a good move, I am sure w mixed feelings...

All I can say is Florida is a big state and can find anything you want somewhere but like Texas or California, distances are large and not much in the middle. Personally I like being near the amenities of a Resort but 35 years on I'd pick a spot a little farther west (e.g. Clermont, Leesburg, Ocala, Gainesville, I-75 corridor) but avoid The Villages. It is best to make a must/want list to start.

After having most I use Spectrum for Internet/phone/tv but have a different provider for cell. I also have a backup generator for power when (not if) power is lost. No big just know.

ps I see it all the time. Someone moves to Floridas and after two years they move back where they came from. Two years later they are back in Florida this time for good. Best to lease a Condo for a few months and decide what you really want. If the beach, Naples to Cedar Key is nice and Sarasota has the best shopping/restaurants.

Gas: today $2.329 for regular with 10% de-icer at moment, no state income tax, sales tax 6.5%, further out you go, the lower the real estate prices but $200k can get something nice. Property taxes mostly $1k-$2k/year (location , location, location)

Living in the county (can see the Orlando city line) two miles from Universal Studios traffic can be very bad at some times and directions (usually just one) I mostly just stay west of I-4 and get things done between 10am and 2pm.

The grounds crew:

boids800.jpg

pps https://flacarshows.com/

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Semi retired HS pal in Naples area presses me regularly to move.  I like the climate, mediterranian architecture, beach, car action, low taxes, cost of living.  Mrs. Mack, not into heat and humidity.  Its a non starter for us..

We just AC everything.

• Like 1

Truth be told its kind of weird my pal, who has an MB SL just like ours doesn't use it when it's too hot!  🤔  That I struggle with.... 😁

My '01 SLK320 has a great AC.

So does my SL.  I cannot take credit for this though, as I am not a masochist, 100 lb wiry young kid did the work, looks like it was never apart now.

Just like in school my pal Nowell is too cheap to fix his, they all fail due to poor ac condensor design on the R107s and its deep in there....

20170530_144857.jpg