Buick35

Seat belts in old car

On 9/20/2019 at 2:22 PM, JACK M said:

I have daughters, I cringe every time I ride with one of the as they seem to be racing up to the red light or stop signs.

Ironic that I just got a text from one of them that is concerned about her front brakes.

The asphalt roads in our area are all buckled in front of stop lights, for this very reason.  Asphalt is still a semi-liquid, and repeated hard stops moves the asphalt. I don't know when this type of driving started being taught, I slow down well before a red light and invariably have a po'd driver riding my rear bumper....

I remember reading that the Rolls Royce chauffeur's school would teach the driver to apply brakes, but at the very last second let off the pedal, so there's no jerk when one stops...it works...

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't want to think about Brass Era or Model T Ford wrecks with or with seat belts. 

Bob

13 hours ago, trimacar said:

The asphalt roads in our area are all buckled in front of stop lights, for this very reason.  Asphalt is still a semi-liquid, and repeated hard stops moves the asphalt. I don't know when this type of driving started being taught, I slow down well before a red light and invariably have a po'd driver riding my rear bumper....

I remember reading that the Rolls Royce chauffeur's school would teach the driver to apply breaks, but at the very last second let off the pedal, so there's no jerk when one stops...it works...

The heaving of asphalt is more likely caused by heavy trucks stopping there on hot days.

I have never seen regular cars cause heaving like that even in really hot areas like we have around here.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 10:31 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Every morning I get in my truck and put on my seat belt. I am sure some person thinks it is a wonderful thing that I will be safe and protected by taking this mandatory step.

My thought is "I better put this on so I don't get my wallet pilfered for 100 bucks because I wasn't wearing it. And getting whacked with and 100 dollar surcharge because it happened within the borders of the state."

Every regulation comes with a monetary penalty.

When I was a kid I read that a true chauffeur could drive with a full glass of water on the dash without spilling a drop. I drive that way. (I have a friend who drives his RR Silver Shadow aggressively. After a ride out to dinner, my wife commented "Your Buicks ride a lot smoother than a Rolls-Royce".

I also drive watching and planning well ahead and expecting the unexpected, trusting no one, a bit like playing pool, calculated. But mostly distrustful of all other cars on the road.

Bottom line, too many drivers perceive they have the right of way and refuse to yield even if another driver is in the wrong. I consider myself to not have the right of way when encountering a foolish driver.

^This^

It's called Defensive Driving, although the seat belt may help if I can't avoid one of those foolish drivers.

I once took my cousin's two middle school sons for a ride in one of my 30's cars.  They're well-trained to use seat belts and were quite concerned the car didn't have them.

In the early 1990s I was involved in an accident with my 34 PE Plymouth sedan, guy ran a red light and I 'T-boned' him in the middle of the intersection.  Despite the large, heavy front cross-member in those 34s with a stock coil independent front suspension and a 6", fully-boxed from the factory frame, the frame was bent to the extent that we had to do a front frame clip r&r.  I had installed as a safety feature front disc brakes and I stood on them so hard that, coupled with the impact, the whole car pitched forward to the extent that the rear 'silent U' rear spring shackles flipped over.  In short, until you have been in one of these crashes (and survive), you really cannot conceive of the massive forces involved.  An old timer told me once that his bother had been killed in a similar accident, sitting in the rear seat, from being thrown through the wood roof frame of a closed car of some sort, chicken wire and all.

Luckily, I had installed seat belts in the front seat.  I used a set out of a full-sized GM car, using the buckle end (with the short belt) on the outboard side, which allowed me to bolt it directly to the large, through the frame body bolt that is conveniently located right there at the 'B' pillar.  Ran the belt up through the seat frame and between the cushion and the side of the seat frame, using a large plastic sleeve from the original belts to prevent chafing of the belt as it ran through the sheet metal bottom of the seat frame.  In the center, I bolted the belts, with integral retractors, to the floor with large reinforcing plates.  During the crash they held me in place and I never even hit the steering wheel/column.  Without them, I certainly would have been impaled/thrown through the windshield.

Bottom line, you won't get me or my family in a car, new or old, without seat belts.  Open car or not, I am incorporating a similar setup into my 34 PE convertible that is shown in my avatar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scott, very glad to hear of a positive outcome of your accident.

Again, every accident is different, every outcome a bit of fate.

Had you been going a half mile faster, he might have t-boned you, and instead of bouncing to other side of car, you might have been crushed, held in place by seat belt.

I'm not anti seat belts, it's just that, in a car not designed for them, it's fate and circumstance and physics that determine whether they're a life saver or a killer.

Again, there's no clear answer to the seat belt in old car question, and never will be.....

My fairly desirable 1963 Dodge Polara 383, 4 BBL, Accel distributor, set up to race 1/8 mile, H/SA. Early in the morning the left front hit a driveway culvert from the side, landed on the right rear quarter inverted.

No seatbelt, got a cut on the head because the door fell back the first time. The car was on it's side in water.

I don't drive in ditches at high speed anymore. You never know when a driveway will pop up in front of you.

001.thumb.JPG.ec731e866d0019e525cbd67a2be0536d.JPG

Alcohol contributed to the relaxed aerial ride.