Sign in to follow this  
ROBERTWILLIAM

1970 Oldsmobile 442

That awful paint and torn up interior will scare some people away, but the car looks solid, and they say it runs.  Someone will get a car with a lot of upside potential....for short dollars....

"Would need some interior work." Slightly understated. 

"Custom ordered automatic." As in whoever bought it new either bought it off the floor of the dealer or was too stupid & uncoordinated to drive a stick.

This looks like an old man's 442. He wanted a cool car like the young guys, but didn't want to give up any creature comforts like he had in his Olds 98.

Nothing turns me off more with a muscle car than a column shift. If you had to have an automatic, you could at least have the decency to get it with buckets & console.

• Like 2

I agree column shift is a little off.

You would have been amused by the 1966 Mustang convertible I had, a GT-K car, Hipo engine with an automatic from the factory.

A lot of people said no way it came like that, but all codes matched....it was console shift of course...

Remember........today most people under fifty can’t drive a stick.........so an automatic is probably going to be a plus as far as value in the future...........

38 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Remember........today most people under fifty can’t drive a stick.........so an automatic is probably going to be a plus as far as value in the future...........

Ed is correct,  it used to be a 4 speed was a 20% premium on a musclecar.   Auto/air is the combo that sells these days.   We are all doomed.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

You don’t say...

Year and 1/2 ago I went into a local ‘national chain’ tire store for new tires for my 16 yr old Jetta. Waited and waited - unknown to me, they had NO EMPLOYEE there who could drive a stick. They called in an employee from another shop.

I had feelings on that unmentionable here, but on the way home I thought, “boy, this car is getting old, I’d better get a new one before they discontinue the stick.” What do you think happened?

VW discontinued the stick (in anything other than the base model Jetta - which I won’t do). Scrambling, I found Cadillac still offered a stick in the ATS. Went in to the dealer to special order one - GM has closed the order books on it THAT week.

The stick is dead unless you want a Camaro or Charger, and I promised myself when I was 16 that I’d never be that middle-aged guy driving around in a Camaro!

(No offense to middle-aged guys with a Camaro.)

I think that was a real fair price for a desirable muscle car from one of the most desirable eras.  Seems solid and in running condition. I guess not all prices on such things are obscene.