Wanted: cowl mirror for 1941 Commander - MADE SOME!

Gary_Ash

I'm looking for a cowl mirror for my 1941 Commander Delux-Tone Land Cruiser, accessory AC-1068.  The mounting part replaced the short upper trim piece on the cowl.  I'll take one in any condition, even broken, though I'd like a decent one that is replateable.  I think this is a one-year-only part.

41 mirror.png

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

BTT.  I'm still looking for one of these 1941 Studebaker mirrors.  At this point, I'd be satisfied with a really good photo of an original one.  While I know Jay Fisher made some replicas, it seems that they were "modeled after" as opposed to exact replicas of the original style.  The original ones seem to have been made in two pieces - a base attached to the cowl with two threaded studs and a rotatable arm to set the viewing angle.  Anyone have a photo or two of a genuine original?  I was able to purchase a Jay Fisher one-piece-arm replica for the right side, which was not available originally, but it won't work on the left side, and it's a different shape than the attached photo.  I have tried to 3D scan the Jay Fisher right-side mirror and reverse it, but it hasn't worked out.  Besides, the mirror head in the old Studebaker brochure looks to be in a location where the door will hit it when the door is opened, hence the Jay Fisher variation.

1975056840_1941Studebakermirrorad.thumb.jpg.f4d711c08712b326b856f1120a84a168.jpgl?

The more I look at the picture from the accessories brochure, the more I’m convinced that it’s a poor “Photoshop” job where an artist painted in the mirror on a photo of the cowl. I think he reversed the base back to front because there is no way to open the driver’s door without slamming the mirror. The arm and mirror have to sit farther forward on the cowl. I’m working on a CAD drawing of what I think will work, will then 3D print a prototype. I can’t get this done for few weeks, as I’m in Australia for a bit.  For all the photos of 1941 Commanders and Presidents I can find online, only one of them had a side mirror on the cowl. However, someone must have an original mirror, maybe Paul Derosier. 

Here’s a photo of Paul’s ‘41 2-door coupe parked next to my Land Cruiser. Note how the base is reversed from the brochure picture. I don’t know if Paul’s mirrors are original or Jay Fisher versions. 

00251D0C-2169-4E16-9498-93A71D8CCD25.jpeg

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Since I didn't find an original 1941 Studebaker mirror or a left side one made by Jay Fisher, I decided to make my own.  Using the airbrushed picture from the Studebaker accessories brochure, I drew the mirror in my 3D CAD program, printed out some patterns on my 3D printer, and had the parts plaster investment cast in silicon bronze.  They got drilled and tapped, polished, and chrome plated.  The mirror heads are from some commercial peep mirrors, as it was too complicated to make some that would tilt.  To mount the mirror, the two 10-24 nuts on the inside of the cowl that retain the short trim strip are removed, the trim pushed out, and the mirror drops into the existing holes in DeluxTone models.  I made four mirrors, will keep one, one more is spoken for.  I have two available at $350 each.  Sorry they are not cheaper, but the costs add up fast when you only make a few.  Let me know if you want one.

1941 mirrors-chromed.jpg

1941 mirror installed-front.jpg

1941 mirror installed-rear 2.jpg

• Like 2