Racecar Certification

GZ,The Race Car Certification systen came into being years ago when a few questionable cars turned up at AACA meets. To put an end to this the Certification Commettie was established. There were hundreds of Ford V8-60 powered midgets built, and a talented restored could build one from scratch today. To show a restored race car in AACA you must prove that the car "is the car" not an exact copy. Ownerships must be traced back to the "year of competition". If a car had a racing career that lasted 10 years or so, it could be restored to any of the years that it raced. Some cars are easy to research "Old 16" comes to mind, but the tattered remains of a D.O Fronty may be another story. The VP of class judging has all the paperwork one needs to apply for certification.

On the subject of racecars, to be shown, must they be resored ?

I ask because a friend races a 30 year old Porsche 908 that sat in a museum for a long while after the death of the owner. It is still in the same condition that it was last time he raced it. My friend made it safe to race again, but did nothing to change the character of the car.

What happens to a racecar like this ?

It certainly could be shown but by AACA judging standards might have a difficult time in winning if that is important. Gosh, I wonder if it would be included in the HPOF class? I would guess not....I am equally sure all of us would love to see it on a show field. Clean it up, do a little polishing but most importantly make sure it runs! grin.gif

"It might not win against a restored one..." At the places that matter ie: The Goodwood Festival of Speed, The LeMans Classic, and The Monoco Historics it would. Anyone who overrestores the History out of a race car is comitting economic suicide.

He is interested in showing off (not showing)the car and Vintage racing the car, not trophies. He just wants people to be able to see it.

He likes my old cars and has been to a couple of AACA meets with me and had a good time. So I was just wondering if there was a place for him and it sounds like there is. Knowing him and the car, it will never get restored, it is too special as a older example of what was run to restore.