looking for replacement taillight socket 1940 pontiac

1940TORPEDO

11 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

That is the same. `41 Pontiacs use those also. The electrical part is the harder piece to find, I rewired mine, a lot of times the springs in that connector have rotted away and they`re useless. Kurt Kelsey(sells NOS Pontiac parts)he may have these.

I guess I need to pull mine apart to see what all is going on in there.  

The one view that you show doesn't seem to have any problems.  The terminal ends that contact the bulb might be worn but can be repaired.  At any rate, look beyond Pontiac in Buick as well.  Come to think of it see if Chevs of the 40s has the part! Edit: no, can't see it in Chevs of the 40s.

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)

The electrical insert out of the bulb holder. The insert consists of the bake-lite, two springs and two sleeves(inside the springs), does not come apart. Check the little springs to make sure they are not rusted away or collapsed, should be able to check the spring action by pulling on the wire, or pushing the soldered end. If the springs are not working it could result in not making contact with the bulb. To replace the wire, use a soldering iron on the soldered end(the end which makes contact with bulb) when melted pull the wire out the back.  Then strip insulation off the end of new wire appriox 1/8", slip it in place of the old wire, the stripped end should stick thru the sleeve about 1/16", then solder.   Hope this helps..

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

The electrical insert out of the bulb holder. The insert consists of the bake-lite, two springs and two sleeves(inside the springs), does not come apart. Check the little springs to make sure they are not rusted away or collapsed, should be able to check the spring action by pulling on the wire, or pushing the soldered end. If the springs are not working it could result in not making contact with the bulb. To replace the wire, use a soldering iron on the soldered end(the end which makes contact with bulb) when melted pull the wire out the back.  Then strip insulation off the end of new wire appriox 1/8", slip it in place of the old wire, the stripped end should stick thru the sleeve about 1/16", then solder.   Hope this helps..

@pont35cpe THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did not realize that it was soldered on the bulb end. I got it apart and only mildly burned myself.