1928 Packard Watson Stabilator

32Pontiac6

Does anybody have any experience with rebuilding Watson Stabilators for a 526 Packard?  Either somebody who does repair of the shocks or is a source of parts.  I have not looked inside to see the condition of the mechanical components but there are two straps broken so I know those need to be replaced.  Does anybody have a source for the shock webbing?  I do have the Packard Service Manual and the shocks don't look that complicated.  I also have the adjusting wrench.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for the information.  I will have to investigate.  Plan to pull one of the ones with broken webbing and possibly take apart and see if webbing is the only thing needed. 

Can you help me with your car designation?  I am still learning the Packard nomenclature.  Don't know what DB Senior is.  My understanding of cars they call '28 are Series 526 and 533 (Single Six) and 443's in Standard and Custom 8.  Which is yours?

Thanks again.

I have a 1928 Dodge Brothers Senior Six 4 door sedan. It has a 6 cylinder flat head engine (L head) It has 4 of those Watson thing . They are not interchangeable from side to side.  About 2 years ago I was shopping for new webbing. I got the last piece from Restoration Supplies in California. No one was making new ones at that time but I think some body is reproducing them now. I think a lot of high end cars used them during that period.. Before you take it apart punch mark the cover in relation to the frame. The screws that hold the cover are not evenly distributed. If you need more information on repairing it I will try and help you. There is a clamp to hold the end of the belt to the shaft on the frame. DO NOT LOOSE THAT. It is difficult to find replacement.    

Hi I'm new to this thread.  I have a 1928 (June '27) Dodge Brothers Senior Six (2249) and am trying to get my Watson Stabilators back together and on the car.  I don't have the spring mechanism.  Anyone know where I might get them?  I'll try Classic Exotic Services but any other sources would be greatly appreciated.  Trini, I'm in San Diego.  Where are you?  Would love to see your car.  I'm going to the Fallbrook show in early Nov.  Any chance that you'll be there?  Dennis Hester 

I am in Toronto Canada.. If you can get someone going to  Hershey to look for them there . There is always the chance of getting them there . Mine are complete. May be the Exotic guys will be able to replace the springs or make new ones. If I understand correctly clock makers and old Phonograph restorers  buy springs from somewhere. The springs come in flat pieces and rolled to size and shape as needed. Ask a custom clock maker, those who make those large clocks you see on municipal buildings and maybe grand father clocks repairers. They buy springs from some where.   The springs are interchangeable but not the frame. They are definitely R and L Whenever you are ready PM me and I can post some pictures and tell you how to take apart without damage.  No , I will not be at Fallbrook. By the how about Google clock spring makers  ?  

Good luck, mate.

Clock springs are available from clock spares retailers. Ask the www. You need the length, the width and thickness, generally.

A couple are Timesavers in the US and Meadows and Passmore in UK. There are a good number. It might take a bit of hunting around to find a spring of the right size. They come rolled up and tied. Clock repairers use a main spring winder to handle them. They are very dangerous so wear robust gloves and eye protection when handling them - there is a lot of power in a coiled spring.

5 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Clock repairers use a main spring winder to handle them. They are very dangerous so wear robust gloves and eye protection when handling them - there is a lot of power in a coiled spring

Even the spring out of an Edison Amberola Phonograph can be a challenge without a proper winder.  I did not realize the power in a spring until I reworked mine and was rewinding it to put it back in the case.  Thank goodness I had a well mounted vice and a chair half way to the bench so I could sit down and rest while holding the spring in my hand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 6:55 PM, AWISE said:

I have the strapping for the watson  will have it at Hershey space C4P 49 -50  Andy Garage 302-245-7276

1 1/4 wide 1 1/2 wide 1 3/4 wide 

Andy,

Is the 1-1/2" strap 3/16" thick?  That is what mine are.  Actually they measure 1-9/16" wide but they may have flattened out 1/16" in 91 years.

I thought I would share some photos of the Watson Stabilator I removed from the Packard.  Please note the one photo that shows the tag from the 'Adjustment Inspector' who adjusted the shock when it was first installed in the car, I presume.  Anybody see this before?

IMG_6829.thumb.jpg.12c9eebc9189f1f3e0dc3cdd0d094cb4.jpgIMG_6826.thumb.jpg.018a517d1725cb56e5680d75370235e9.jpgIMG_6822.thumb.jpg.63098491215fb7f63709bdb00509f440.jpgIMG_6819.thumb.jpg.83782b80b68f83113f4072cb062b8caa.jpg

I am familiar with the Watson. Use the old hardware from the belt and rivet the new belt . No big deal.. Mark the position of the cover before removing. .BEFORE REMOVING COVER YOU MUST NEUTRALIZE THE SPRING .  To do this remove the hex cover on the back. Use a large open end spanner and turn the big nut left or right  until the locking pin feels  loose.Then pull  the pin out.  It then becomes safe to remove the cover. That big nut at the back is made of blue brittle metal and can break easily.  Stainless steel ones are now available.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2019 at 6:24 PM, AWISE said:

32Pontiac6, Do you get the strapping for your Watson?  My strapping is 1 1/2    and 3/16 thick  $15.00 per ft  andygarage@comcast.net

Andy Wise  302-245-7276

Andy,

Yes, I did get strap material.  My original straps were closer to 1-9/16" and 3/16" thick.  I was able to find 1-3/4" of the proper thickness and it seemed to work just fine.  Thanks for responding.  

IMG_7586.jpg

IMG_7566.jpg

IMG_7583.jpg

IMG_7584.jpg