1910 Harrisburg PA Reliability Contest

Terry Bond

Would like any info or photos from the May 9-11 event held that year.  I believe it was the fourth year the event was held.  That year, the winning vehicle was an Interstate.  I know there are some photos existing in the Detroit Public Library archives, but anything else from local newspapers or automotive publications of the era would be helpful.  Trying to piece together some history of this event. 

Thanks in advance,

Terry

• Like 1

I'm going off memory here, but I believe the first dealer in Harrisburg was 1899 and was Locomobile. It was owned by Mr Kline who went on to work with Pullman and then founded his own company "Kline Kar" which started in York Pa but moved to Va. 

The Star Independent might be a good one to hunt down. I found some from 1915 online and they have a section for motorist. May 15th has an article about a 3 day race in Harrisburg of that year,s o could be the same event a few years later. If I get time later at work today maybe I'll be able to dig something else up closer to the year you're questioning.

May 15 Star Independent

You can find a lot of pictures from the 1910 Harrisburg Endurance Run in the Detroit Public Library Digital collection.  A 1911 Pullman (made in York, PA) was the official pace maker in the 1910 fall Harrisburg Endurance Race.  The races were sponsored by the Motor Club of Harrisburg.

I have had a look through the Detroit Public Library photo archives and they do have a lot of great pics, including one of the Interstate, which was a winner of that event.  I was hopeful to find accounts of the contest, perhaps some info on the routes taken, and maybe a copy of a program if it existed. 

I recently acquired a trophy from that event (for the Interstate) and am anxious to piece together the rest of the story.  The event was held twice - spring and fall.   My trophy is for the spring event.

Won't have time during Hershey to visit the AACA Llibrary but hope to get back there before the end of the year to look through some early periodicals.  Of course history of the events is great, and  what I find may become an article for later publication (hopefully).

Terry

Good morning, @Terry Bond

You are welcome to come and look through the periodicals at the library any time. Sorry to hear you can't make it during Hershey Fall Nationals this year, but it's understandable; it's a huge event.

For something like period newspaper articles or original photos, I would suggest reaching out to the following organizations:

1. PA State Archives
  2.  Historical Society of Dauphin County

Thanks Matt, I plan to dig into this following Hershey.  Will try to find some time to give my trophy a bit of cleaning up and post a few photos. 

• Like 1