Convertible vs. Coupe vent window 1957 (and probably other years)

lancemb

Not long ago, there was a discussion on one of these forums regarding the difference between convertible and coupe vent windows and I think someone needed one for a convertible.  I hadn't realized there was a difference prior to that.   Anyway, the topic of potentially just grinding the little fin off one from a coupe (that catches the upper window "flipper") to use in a convertible was discussed, so I thought I'd share something interesting I discovered.

In my pictures, I show vent windows from both a 1957 coupe and convertible for comparison.  It appears that both started life as the same part number and casting (convertible on right).  The casting number is marked C-37, but the one from the convertible had the original number stamped over and was re-stamped C-67.  Both retain the same part number in the casting.  Inspecting the one from the convertible, it is evident that the fin at the top had been ground off.

Thus, it appears that it how they were made from the factory, so doing so yourself if it's easier to find one from a coupe is a very viable option, and actually "correct'!

20190907_132415.jpg

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 9/15/2019 at 11:50 PM, lancemb said:

Not long ago, there was a discussion on one of these forums regarding the difference between convertible and coupe vent windows and I think someone needed one for a convertible.  I hadn't realized there was a difference prior to that.   Anyway, the topic of potentially just grinding the little fin off one from a coupe (that catches the upper window "flipper") to use in a convertible was discussed, so I thought I'd share something interesting I discovered.

In my pictures, I show vent windows from both a 1957 coupe and convertible for comparison.  It appears that both started life as the same part number and casting (convertible on right).  The casting number is marked C-37, but the one from the convertible had the original number stamped over and was re-stamped C-67.  Both retain the same part number in the casting.  Inspecting the one from the convertible, it is evident that the fin at the top had been ground off.

Thus, it appears that it how they were made from the factory, so doing so yourself if it's easier to find one from a coupe is a very viable option, and actually "correct'!

20190907_132415.jpg

nice find........bob

• Like 1