Sign in to follow this  
TampaRiv

Tight door weatherstrip

Hello guys from steamy Tampa.  

I re-painted my door jambs on the '63 Riv this weekend, and then today I got the passenger side door seal (weatherstrip) installed. I bought it from the guys over in NJ, and the piece seemed like first-quality, everything lined up great.    Before I installed the weatherstrip, and with the jamb keeper removed, and the old crusty weatherstrip gone, the door fit great...not binding anywhere, all panel lines and margins were very good. 

BUT, with the new weatherstrip installed (a very nice and accurate job I might add), the door really has a hard time closing.  I mean, it's like the old VWs from the 60s, which would allow the car to float!  With an overly-firm close, the door will shut, and and the door fits nice with the body.  MY QUESTIONS:  *Can I expect the weatherstrip to ease up and settle in/compress, allowing the door to close more easily?  *Has anyone done this to their cars, and did you experience the same issue? *I could adjust the striker/keeper to allow for an easier close, but then the door wouldn't sit as flush with the body as it does now.  

Any advice would be appreciated. It makes me wonder how tight the weatherstrip was when the cars left the factory.

Cheers,    Rich in Tampa

I have had this issue on some of my cars and yes they do relax. Although my 52 Ford F1

still has somewhat of an issue on the passenger door.... that said, it too relaxed but took time.

I have no idea what it felt like from the factory.  I was only a kid then lol.

Dennis

When I fitted new weather strips from Rubber the Right Way I really had to slam the door for it to close.

I bought a can of Rubber Magic and after a few applications and some time for it to work the doors now close with much less effort.

This product is available in Australian but there must be an equivalent in the USA that does the same job.

Cheers

Tom K

20190917_103747.jpg

• Thanks 1

If your new weatherstrips are solid rubber and not foam rubber like the originals, it will take a while to get

where you don't have to slam the door, and even then the doors won't close easy like with the original foam weatherstrips.

I still have the original weatherstrips on my car and they still are in great condition and I can close the doors with one finger.

I've had good luck with the Metro brand weatherstrips on my other cars, but I don't know if they make them for the early Rivieras.

The rubber will definitely soften with time. Mine took about a year but door use was relatively infrequent . Let it alone - it will be fine .

KReed

ROA 14549

Mine were the same. Getting easier to shut the doors everytime. Leaving them shut for a good week or so helped. I also did some slight window adjustment. 

A few years ago I bought some door seals from c.a.r.s  Same issue door was extremely tough to close but did shut. To be honest not what I wanted or expected although they fit like the orginals. So i ordered another set from Steele rubber products. Cost was almost double but was night and day. Installed the new 1s and they were perfect in every way. Doors shut flawlessly.  Now this wasn't on my 64 riv. It was for a 55 buick.

Anyhow after that 1 time I will only buy from steel rubber products. Cost is higher but I have never had any issues with there products. As I have had with many other brands being (close enough or working).

• Thanks 1