USPS - long shot but worth an ask - Visiting from the UK -

moran75

Hi All

I'm visiting New York for a short holiday break in October - I've had the bright idea of buying a few Riv related bits and pieces, getting them delivered to where i'm staying and bringing them home to save on postage/import tax /VAT.

But - there is always a but... I'm staying in an Air B'n'B for only 4 days which is  a short window to get things delivered - if they are delivered in time i'll no doubt be there anywhere, and don't know how the US deals with missed deliveries - and the wife wont to spend any time chasing the post office!

Its a long shot, but any ideas on how I can make this work?!

Thanks in advance

Kevin

It kind of depends on what you are looking to purchase?

If it is small items that will fit into the USPS "priority mail" boxes, you could buy whatever it is, and have the seller ship it the day before you are scheduled to arrive? The priority boxes are supposed to be 1-3 day delivery, and are usually pretty reliable.

I'm not sure if it would work that good for larger items, but that could be the way to go for things that will fit?

I'm not real sure how the "missed delivery" might work, you might be able to get the Air B'n'B to mark it "return to sender" and the seller would get it back?

Hope that helps,

The USPS  has an Express Service that guarantees overnight delivery daily. The service is more expensive than Priority Mail, but the overnight delivery might be of value. The private couriers , DHL, FedEx, and UPS  also provide overnight delivery. I’m not certain if the private couriers have service 7 days a week.

Turbinator

There are two New York's. The city and the state. I live in the state, 350 miles from the city. And you can still go another 70 miles before you enter Canada. Could make a difference.

I have been online since 1997 and a couple of times visits have contacted me asking "I have a 3 hours layover at Kennedy, is there a chance I could stop by your place?"

Where are you going?

Bernie

• Like 1

Thanks all - re. telling the Air B'nB owners -  I originally discounted this as I thought that it might appear suspicious if i told them some ''packages' were arriving for me!

As you prompted me to think again maybe as packages  are coming from inside USA it would be OK...wish me luck!

Kev (will be NYC)

• Like 1