MrEarl

'54 Roadmaster in St Paul

10 years ago I would have been all over a Carlsbad Black  '54 Roadmaster at this price.  Seeing a few typical rust through spots but doesn't look to have been boogered with, original red wheels and from what I an see original interior.  Depending on floors, well worth looking into imo. Just for old times sake I've asked for additional photos 😬

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/d/saint-paul-1954-buick-2dr-hard-top/6973971949.html

image.thumb.png.0e777c6572e0be3cadb36225b204f6c1.png

image.thumb.png.718cebad246a27ffa8b2f39930bf1427.png

• Like 7

I agree it's very interesting but like the last 54 (the Century) we see a horrible ad and I am just tired of these types of sellers.   "Runs and drives"  Gee thanks!

A lot of questions unanswered for sure, but sometimes those turn out to be good ones!  In some cases this is better than the seller over-selling it.

• Like 2

Resides in Mapewood, MN. Too bad he didnt have inside storage in the years Ive been driving by watching curiously if they would do anything besides let it sit there in inclement MN weather and deteriorate. Looked pretty solid from driveby, for what is worth. We are about 12" above avg rainfall for this time of year already here. 

For comparisons sake, there is a fully restored one at charvetclassiccars.com in Lake Oswego, Oregon, for $44,500.

It is outside of Portland. Wow!

• Like 1

Reminds me of the song,  "Well I met her accidently, in St. Paul, Minnesota..."

• Haha 1

There are few holes in the bottom areas of the sheet metal. It may well be that the undercarriage is fairly well rusted away. Wouldn't be unusual for that to have happened in a salt belt State. And the cost to repair that could be incredible. Only way is to visually check the state of the undercarriage. Just my 2 cents.

11 hours ago, BuickBob49 said:

For comparisons sake, there is a fully restored one at charvetclassiccars.com in Lake Oswego, Oregon, for $44,500.

It is outside of Portland. Wow!

Wow thanks @BuickBob49. Beautiful car. But if I'm going to pay 44k for a car it's going to be much better restored than that example.  I guess I'm just for either archival quality original, correctly restored to original or nicely done restomod and not a fan of "fixed-ups"  when it comes to me parting with my $$.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

13 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

Resides in Mapewood, MN. Too bad he didnt have inside storage in the years Ive been driving by watching curiously if they would do anything besides let it sit there in inclement MN weather and deteriorate. Looked pretty solid from driveby, for what is worth. We are about 12" above avg rainfall for this time of year already here. 

So you've known this car  for years and have just been watching it sit outside without giving your ol friend MrE a call to tell him about it. tsk tsk

I haven't gotten a reply to my CL email, why don't you slide by and inspect it and let us know if it has floors or not. 😊

9 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

There are few holes in the bottom areas of the sheet metal. It may well be that the undercarriage is fairly well rusted away. Wouldn't be unusual for that to have happened in a salt belt State. And the cost to repair that could be incredible. Only way is to visually check the state of the undercarriage. Just my 2 cents.

Those are the rust through areas I mentioned. I've seen a lot of northern cars where if they were undercoated, the floors are almost perfect except for the inner rockers that collect and hold the salt. My Century from upper NY state being one. 

45 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

I've seen a lot of northern cars where if they were undercoated, the floors are almost perfect except for the inner rockers that collect and hold the salt. My Century from upper NY state being one. 

Buicks from upstate New York would have been professionally undercoated by Ziebart or a similar company and held up better

Ford's, Chevy's, and similar makes would have had dealer undercoating amateurishly slobbered on by salesmen whom weren't meeting their quota. They'd use the shop lifts in the evening and get it everywhere but places it was needed.

Just a little known fact when you open the hood and wonder why you see undercoat all over everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

So you've known this car  for years and have just been watching it sit outside without giving your ol friend MrE a call to tell him about it. tsk tsk

I haven't gotten a reply to my CL email, why don't you slide by and inspect it and let us know if it has floors or not. 😊

Done and done. My brother who lives close by inquired about it a while back and was told "no way!" Dont like to pester folks and mess up future possibilities. Ive also sworn off rust, for obvious($), reasons. I love that particular make and model/body style, so, since I can resist anything but temptation, its best I steer clear and dont have my negative suspicions confirmed!

41 minutes ago, 2carb40 said:

I love that particular make and model/body style, so, since I can resist anything but temptation, its best I steer clear and dont have my negative suspicions confirmed!

OK, I'm just going to envision totally rusted out floors too then, that way I can get it off my mind too. Thanks wise one. 

Again, poor overall attitude of the sellers.  What a shame.  They won't answer emails, they have no phone number to call or text.  I do not think 2carb40 you would be a pest by going there and making another inquiry.  This time, you would have the CL ad to point to.  I would not do these sellers any favors though, just let it sit there unsold. 

Also, if it just sits there how does the seller know it runs and drives?  I suspect anyone going to see it person and truly showing interest and starting a conversation, you would get a lot of shoulder shrugs with crossed arms and "I dunno." 

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

OK, I'm just going to envision totally rusted out floors too then, that way I can get it off my mind too. Thanks wise one. 

I gained my perspective/wisdom from listening to Alvin Lee, Mick Jagger and the Moody Blues so Im most likely a certifyable? Clinical physchotic, no wait, physcologist! Yeah that!

• Haha 1

That's an attempt at self delusion. Sit down with a piece of paper and start listing all your regrets in life. See how quick a car you didn't buy pops up. My list is full of them..... and not much else.

• Like 1