Harold

USPS Needless Delays on Basic Shipping

You guys are simply forgetting the basic idea here - ANYTHING THAT THE GOVERNMENT IS INVOLVED WITH IS SCREWED UP BEYOND BELIEF!!  On certain things the postal system cannot be beat for costs.  On other things UPS is the way to go.  Last month I shipped a gasoline tank (in a wooden box) to Ohio for cleaning and ceramic coated lining.  The box weighed 65 pounds and UPS got $100.00 from me for the shipping and insurance.  USPS would not touch it even though it was under their 70 pound limit.  A person has to be careful when shipping anything because the idea is to separate you from your money in a New York second.  I ordered a couple of small dies from a company in Indianapolis and the things had to go Atlanta before getting to Wichita.  I am West of Indy but the blasted things had to go East before I got them.  Tell me what is wrong with that picture - and this was the US Postal System.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

Part of it was created by the responses to the Anthrax scare where all mail had to be photographed. That is what now allows you to know what mail you are going to receive. What that means is that if I send a letter to the house next door and mail it at the post office it cannot just be placed back out in the mail stream but must go to a distribution station where everything gets sorted and photographed and then sent back to our post office and then put out for delivery.

Sort of like taking your shoes off at the airport because a terrorist once put some plastic  explosive in his shoe........we tend to over react...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Anyone else wonder how that eBay Global shipping system works? Does a buyer pay twice the cost if I were to mail the item directly to him/her? 

Its crap, 30+ days to get stuff - you’re better to use a parcel forwarder

They also double dip on import duties 

ebay also now takes a percentage on shipping- which should be illegal...........................

I sent a restored windscreen lifting mechanism from Amherst, MA to Ocala, Fla. via USPS. It took six weeks to go to LA, Seattle, SF then finally to Ocala. My geography must be off but I didn’t think the West  coast was in a direct line from MA to FL. It took filing for the insurance for them to find it and actually send it to Ocala.

That said, I use USPS exclusively and will not ship via UPS. The delivery guy drove past me house 3 times before I hung a sheet out my upstairs window with my address printed on it. Funny how they sometimes have to go to the local US Post Office to get directions to an address! 

Wayne

Been in the retail business for 40 years selling and buying car parts. We use all shipping including Greyhound. 90% of the time, shipping time has been reasonable. 

When I buy from US vendors I specify USPS. It takes a little longer but I am in no hurry. UPS charges brokers fee. For a forty dollars item the brokers fee is 27 dollars. Even the driver advised me not  to use UPS. Parts over 25 years old are considered antique and are not subject to duty. There may be a small inspection fee by customs. Anything considered antique is duty free. If charged by mistake you get a refund.

I do not buy from evil bay. They add some kind of import duty on the price. What import? The maximum  allowed into Canada without having to pay import duty was 50 dollars and I think that is increased. So why are Canadian customers paying custom duty when buying from evil bay? Who  is  getting that money ? Not the Canadian Government, of course.

I have been waiting for this USPS bashing to stop, really not wanting to get involved, but with amount of misinformation griping and downright fictitious stuff continuing to be flung around, I feel I have to put my two cents worth. Sadly it seems like this has to be revisited, even though it has been covered often.

The USPS belongs to you. It's been around for us for about 250 years and is obligated to take care of all it's customers, not just the ones it chooses to prioritize, at the exclusion of others that it chooses to marginalize. When you see that the USPS completes the delivery of a parcel for the private carriers, it most often because that the private carrier has choose not to deliver to that location because it is too expensive. The difference is that your PO is required to handle all requests for help, even from their competitors. I wonder if anyone here believes that one of the private common carriers is going to deliver a package from Florida to Metlakatla Alaska or Guam. That's not likely!

The USPS does not have it's own planes, to deliver your mail around the country. Instead it uses commercial airlines, and even UPS and Fed Ex planes, on a space available basis. Your parcel travels in a direction which will allow for the best use of commercial airlines scheduling and destination. That's why a parcel leaving Seattle, for instance, may be routed through Phoenix, Denver, and Atlanta before being delivered in NY. To coordinate the routing a sophisticated program called "Starship" is used. Each airline submits a schedule of it's daily flights, the data for which is input into the system. The address/barcode is electronically scanned for each piece of mail,  and routed on a commercial plane which can best facilitate it's timely delivery. Subsequent transfers are made on the basis of most timely, not distance, or straight line.

Weather condition which can ground planes has the same delaying effect in the mail flow as it does on passenger service. If a delay seems to be protracted the USPS can choose to truck mail rather then wait out airport closures. To say that the USPS tries to slow down the mail flow to make the customer use a more expensive mail classification is just laughable. For the most part, all mail, regardless of classification, travels on the same plane, on a space available basis, so why would they want the customer to choose a cheaper, slower alternative, or more expensive class, for that matter, if is not needed, ridiculous! The clerk should have given the customer the delivery schedule, and the price for each classification, but the option is up to the customer.

The USPS runs an operating deficit only because of an arbitrary congressional edict. All postal employees, and retirees health benefits are required to be funded, in advance, for fifty year in the future. Without getting into the politics that spurred this policy, suffice to say that no other public or private US business is required to do the same thing. The cost of this obligation costs the USPS approximately eight billion ($8B) a year. With a current deficit of $3+B/year its obvious that if the PO was not so obligated, it would have an yearly surplus of about $5B. Which, of course, it would return to all of us in lower rates, based on the next tree year rate schedule.

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Very interesting, B' Bill. Great explanation. I guess, in a way, that makes USPS personnel my employees ? No wonder they are so friendly to me when I go to the Greenwood P.O., or the main branch on 145th street. Likewise where I have a box for my remote place in the Northwestern wilds out of Ellensburg.    -   CC 

All wonderful Bill, except for your last paragraph...................

bottom line, dumb decisions by our gov. wish I had the same opportunity at my vocation, but most of us dont.

same as school teachers, but no point going there.

the math just doesnt work.......................................................................... so we all pay for bad decisions.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:21 AM, mercer09 said:

ebay also now takes a percentage on shipping- which should be illegal...........................

This is far from new.

Ebay wised up a long time ago because sellers were circumventing final value fees by selling a $100 item for $20 with $80 shipping.

This is far from new

of course, but still is a ripoff to the 99% legit sellers.

Why I am no longer a seller- only a few cars a year. Not worth my time to list 9.99 items to be taxed out the A--!

the USPS delivery truck stops in front of my house almost every day. last month, it sounded like it was developing a rod knock. i listened every day as it got progressivly louder. about a week later, i saw it on the back of a tow truck. now a month later it's replacement is starting to sound a little suspect. i may have a clue to their problem. btw, there is a town here in delaware named canden-wyoming. i can only guess what kind of problems they might have getting their mail.

7 hours ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

the USPS delivery truck stops in front of my house almost every day. last month, it sounded like it was developing a rod knock. i listened every day as it got progressivly louder. about a week later, i saw it on the back of a tow truck. now a month later it's replacement is starting to sound a little suspect. i may have a clue to their problem. btw, there is a town here in delaware named canden-wyoming. i can only guess what kind of problems they might have getting their mail.

My brother is a mechanic for the USPS.  Those mail trucks are on Chevrolet S-10 pickup chassis’s.  They are all 15 years old at minimum.  They just keep fixing them.  There are no plans to ever purchase new delivery vehicles.  The only way one is taken off the road permanently is due to frame rust.  Eventually they will have to buy something new.  Then stamps will be $5.00 each.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 7:01 AM, mercer09 said:

This is far from new

of course, but still is a ripoff to the 99% legit sellers.

Why I am no longer a seller- only a few cars a year. Not worth my time to list 9.99 items to be taxed out the A--!

As a seller, I simply price my items accordingly.  It’s very easy not to be “ripped off.”

If any of you have worked for USPS you know why packages sometimes go in circles...

The entire operation is a cluster &^#$ !  One of the most insane and dysfunctional run companies I've ever had the displeasure of working for (2 weeks). 
I cringe every time I have to ship anything with them after what I've witnessed first hand.

Is there any reason Passports & a other immigration related "customers" need to back up the line of us letter and package senders? A separate section or building would be great, take the cellphone screamers too, give them the special line they so deserve. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)