Harold

USPS Needless Delays on Basic Shipping

The past few times I've sent a package by Retail Ground (due to oversize for Priority Mail) the tracking shows it travelling needlessly for several days before finally being delivered.  I just sent a package from New Jersey to San Francisco and it took 11 days to be delivered.  The tracking showed it moving around SF for 4 days.  I think the USPS does this to discourage the use of cheaper services.   Anyone else have similar experiences?

• Like 3

Sometimes I see that, but I also have time where something is delivered ahead of time.  I ship everything I sell on eBay that’s not either huge or over 50 lbs. (I FedEx that stuff) via USPS.  

Recently I sent something from KY to Phoenix, regular ground, and it got there in 3 days.

Also, there are times a delivery is made and it’s never shown.  I had a part sent to Vegas that said it was there sitting for several days, never delivered.  I contacted the buyer and he said he got it a while ago.  It never was updated as delivered.

I also found out last week that flat rate boxes can be sent worldwide (for more money of course, but it’s still an option.)

I had several boxes of Buick parts ready to take to Hershey, until I had by-pass surgery.  It has been too soon to handle the weight.  I was thinking about going back to eBay this winter, but their rules have gotten so demanding I sort of think it isn't worth the effort.  Last  year I made $500 off the corner of a friend's table up there.

• Like 2

You just keep on taking it easy for a while there, Earl. Hear ? Life never looks so sweet and precious as it does when you "Beat the Reaper". I beat the s.o.b. over two heart attacks fairly recently. Took a while to get back up and at 'em again, and I haven't had a terrifying cardiac emergency in over 2 1/2 years ! Hershey will still be there for you when you are ready for it again. 

I have had very good service from USPS. Hound dog, too. Now UPS is another matter entirely. I wouldn't ship with them again if the only alternative was the milk run route of the Donkey Express.               -    CC 

Edited by C Carl
Cuteness (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

USPS is being tasked with handling a surge of Amazon 2nd day and later shipping.

The rural mail carriers hate it.

Amazon is getting into Deep Doo Doo in several states with it’s delivery contracts with small companies providing “ independent contractors “ with Sprinter vans.

It is building up into a showdown with State & Federal Regulatory Agencies.

There have been serious accidents and at least one death involving poorly trained Amazon Drivers.

Jim

• Like 1

Clueless to all things Amazon, BUT the free boxes that fill the Cardboard Only dumpsters are just as good a deal as the FREE Priority Mail poxes at the post office. USPS handles 98% of my eBay deals the heavy stuff goes FedEx Ground. No complaints from me. 

Bob

• Like 1

It took 9 days for a package sent Fedex to go from Long Island to Rochester via Philadelphia (3 days of sitting), to Pittsburgh ( 3 more days), to Ohio and finally back to Rochester .......

I remember the days you could take a package to Fedex at 7 o'clock at night for early AM delivery (in one case an 11 AM public bid opening) and you knew it would be there. One of our salesmen had no trouble meeting a Fedex truck on the shoulder of the LI Expressway to make a bid opening....

those days are gone forever ......

Gone, gone. And nothing's gonna bring 'em back. I, along with quite a number of us old guys, have spent significant amounts of time living /traveling /driving/working in 3rd World countries. Almost seems to me that the amount of difficulty/delay we encounter in the Good Ol' these days smacks of 3rd Worldism. Yeah. Many problems thereof, with few to none of the benefits. And please don't even think of getting me started on s.h. countries unless it is face to face in some bar somewhere, some time. 

So glad I got to live and drive most of my life in a better world than this'un.    -   Carl 

• Like 1

Maybe it is just me, but I do remember not so long ago all the postal workers at the counter were fluent in English, it was their first language in most cases. 

Bob 

• Like 4

I bought a small item from back easy somewhere that was shipped FedEx.

I tracked it all the way across the country to Portland.

To my surprise it was diverted to Seattle and turned over to the post office for delivery. That added a few days.

At least you don’t have the “fun” of shipping international - where things getting arbitrarily take a long time for no

reason (two weeks in LA then shows up 2 days later)

Harold, good point. Just had a 2 day priority envelope take 12 days, coming in the opposite direction that you mention. The package languished for almost a week out in Cali.

In the meantime, I have recd letters from Cali to NJ in just 3 days.

The whole system is a mess and in the meantime, we are losing billions each qtr running the USPS.

Amzn has had huge benefits from using USPS in the past and those days are coming to a close.

• Like 1

On the flipside, I've had stuff from UPS take 2 days to be delivered from California to Melbourne - but you sure do pay for it 

I think I might hold the record for the most traveled package.  Sent from New York, arrived Washington DC, from there to Los Angeles, back to DC, finally to me.....August 13th to September 3rd and some 6000+ miles.....and it was a 40 pound box.....

tracking 1.jpg

tracking 2.jpg

tracking 3.jpg

• Like 2

I have an item "in the network" someplace. Was shipped on the 31st Aug. from Ohio, haven`t seen it yet. USPS says "it may be delayed because of Dorian" I live in Texas..

Be thankful that you do not live in Guatemala, there is no post office there!

On packages that cross countries borders, they may sit in the shippers warehouse for a certain number of days in case that customs want to inspect it.

How about this. Purchased a few model airplane kits in Japan. Sent out Japan Post service, arrived in NY 1 day, one day in customs, next day at my door with special USPS! I can’t get a package from south shore MA to NH in less than two! I’ve order 4 times from the same Japanese hobby shop because these WWII war bird kits are only made and sold in Japan and the quality along with the different, often never seen airframes make the long distance purchases necessary. I’ve ordered four times and up to 5 kits (48 x 10 x 8” boxes) at one time with the longest ever taking four days. Pretty 😜!

For the most part things arrive when expected. I did have some light bulbs shipped from California spend a week in Hawaii before heading to Florida.

14 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Sometimes you just gotta save stuff.

Parts.JPG.5278ab8d8ffd5afc9d96659f0a4372b9.JPG

Rhode Island to New York

in Less than 5 full days,

by way of Houston, Texas?

I get an email every morning from USPS.

It shows an actual photo of each separate article which is scheduled for delivery in that day's mail, and notes packages (magazines too) ,

I'm still awiting for two items, apparently mis-delivered, each containing checks from an insurance company which were shown in early August and have never arrived, even though the pictures clearly have my address. The checks have not been cashed, and were reissued by the company. Are they stuck behind a machine at the post office, or in the mailman's Jeep? Maybe a neighbor got them and sent to recycle?  

My overseas shipment delivery dates are very predictable. They always arrive the day after the buyer asks "Where is my item?"

We have had stuff go to Austria before as well, that's always fun - Austria's post office even has a stamp for it 

Anyone else wonder how that eBay Global shipping system works? Does a buyer pay twice the cost if I were to mail the item directly to him/her? 

My favorite are the shipping costs from China, which are just about zero.  Long ago, the US tried to "help out" the developing country of China by making postage and delivery from that country dirt cheap.  Look at electronics on Ebay, you can buy a $2.99 item from China with FREE shipping.

Those days are long gone, yet the law is still on the books, and it costs the USPS a fortune.  Common sense doesn't seem to prevail in the non-State district on the east coast......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1