Sign in to follow this  
JamesR

Getting in touch with your inner Chevy.

I thought this was funny. I saw this car last week at Motion Unlimited in Rapid City, SD...a kind of odd old car dealership. The old Pontiac is getting in touch with it's inner Chevy. I guess old Pontiac tail lights are hard to come by.

IMG_0486.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is likely a Canadian built 1955 Pontiac. Oshawa built Pontiac's and Chev's used the exact same body for sedan delivery's. Only difference was tail lights.

• Like 1

Left side is Pontiac,

Right side is '55 Chevy,

likely the only replacement easily sourced at the time-

and it works...

Or is it a WEestern Canadian,

and Eastern USA?

While driving northbound

• Like 1

I remember hearing about a Mopar that was an Aspen on one side and a Volare on the other. It happens even on the line.

• Like 1

My dad bought a brand new K30 Chevy pickup for the family business when I was a kid. Front grill emblem, tailgate, hubcaps, and steering  wheel all had Chevy emblems. Upper fender badges and passenger side dash badge were GMC High Sierra! Can you imagine if this truck was restored and being shown today in the AACA, would it be accepted as an original? 

• Like 2

A family member had a bottom of the line 1960 Ford for a sales vehicle. These cars came with FORD spelled out in block letters across the trunk. His came with a custom touch from the factory with the letters FRRD.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, padgett said:

remember hearing about a Mopar that was an Aspen on one side and a Volare on the other. It happens even on the line.

Sitting on the floor of Waverly Motors, Waverly Virginia in 1977.

Also in discussing this with the owner of the dealership, the base price difference between the two was the Aspen was $1 higher. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chistech said:

My dad bought a brand new K30 Chevy pickup for the family business when I was a kid. Front grill emblem, tailgate, hubcaps, and steering  wheel all had Chevy emblems. Upper fender badges and passenger side dash badge were GMC High Sierra! Can you imagine if this truck was restored and being shown today in the AACA, would it be accepted as an original? 

When I was a kid, my friend put a '66 Impala front end on a '65 impala 2 door hardtop body. I'm guessing this was because his car had been damaged and he got the '66 front end cheaper than he could get a '65 front end. Nevertheless, I had a '66 SS, and I always liked the six tail lights of the '65 better than the single units on my car, but liked the front end of the '66 better than the '65, so I thought his car looked great (back then.) Best of both worlds. The automotive originality gods apparently weren't pleased though, because he wrecked and totaled the car a few weeks later. Lesson: Don't defy the automotive originality gods.

• Haha 1

Neighbor in Richmond had a 66 2 door Tempset. An OHC six and three speed manual. She loved the car. In the early 80s it was hit in the rear. Frank Berling's collision shop worked with the insurance company to graft a 67 LeMans rear clip onto it. She drove it into the late 90s. Last I saw it was still around backside of the house.

Not many 2 door POST LeMans made.😉

• Like 1

replace the left light with a chevy tail light, most people, now would not no the difference 

sorry the devil made me do it

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 7:57 AM, chistech said:

In ‘73 or ‘74 I helped a fellow ferry 6-8 new GMC pickups he bought out of state. When we got them home, we noticed one of them had Chevrolet badging on one side.

• Like 2

73 - 74 must have been a confusing time at the Chevy/GMC pickup plant.  My brother was working as a salesman at the local Chevy dealer and they got in a brand new C10 that was Chevy on the outside and GMC on the inside.  A local farmer bought it new and a few years later when I was working at the IH tractor dealership it was our salesman's truck.

• Like 1

Returning to the original post, I have been told that particular Pontiac tail light is a Guide 555 - the same as the front turn signal/parking light on my 1957 International S series truck.  Not that that makes it any less rare.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 12:02 PM, Fleek said:

A family member had a bottom of the line 1960 Ford for a sales vehicle. These cars came with FORD spelled out in block letters across the trunk. His came with a custom touch from the factory with the letters FRRD.

I remember a station wagon with FOOD across the back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2