Riv_fanatics

Buick mechanical fuel pump died

Hey fellas!

Next shit here, my mechanical fuel pump died to a porous diaphragm, what should i do the best now, buy whole aftermarket pump from Carter or Airtex, seen them starting at $20, but gives me no good feeling with that price or better use a rebuild kit for oem pump for $65?

Next question is, i don't know which pump i have due to the swap of engine to 401, they r all the same on a nailhead?

Regards,

Ron

20190914_141719.jpg

20190914_154030.jpg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I feel your pain.

The following is a total copy and paste from my facebook page so I don't have to start from square one:

>>>What started out to be a good day when south.
Bear had an appointment at the vet in Amherst and when he does I ALWAYS take the '59 because the front seat is a mile wide so there's plenty of room for the three of us.
Very nice ride down and when we left I thought I'd take the scenic route through Amherst and take the back road to County A.
Luckily it's downhill all the way from the clinic to the Amherst turn-off.
Shortly before the turn the engine died and we coasted all the way to the St. James parking lot.......at least that part worked out.
I was 99% sure I knew what the trouble was and I carry a spare fuel pump and the tools the change it in the trunk.
I verified ignition and pump function but didn't like the way the pump was working.
Hagerty Roadside insurance came to the rescue and I had the car wheel towed home just in case I wasn't right.
Turns out I was right but I couldn't have changed pumps anyway because they are two different makes and the bolts would have had only two threads showing with the new one....... 1f62e.png 1f62e.png
Anyway.......pump on, a shot of gas down the carb and I'm good again.........until THIS pump pukes.
My experience with Airtex pumps is 100% short life failure!
I had bought two Carter pumps for backups so I'll find out how long they last....... 1f615.png <<<

This was the THIRD AirTex pump.

I bought the first one 6 years ago when i bought the car then bought two more 2 years later so I'd have a spare.

Nearly 2 years to the DAY all three AirTex pumps failed from the same cause!

Airtex1.jpg

Ty sir, this is what i expected, a pump below 50 bucks new can't do their job properly in a long distance manner, i think i use a oem rebuild kit, i see no damage on housing etc.

Regards 

Ron 

• Like 1

A few things to consider. One, a new pumps compatibility with ethanol fuel. Two,  If the manufacturer says it's ok then go ahead. If not consider a block off plate and going electric. Three, there is nothing worse than a pump failure ( new or old ) by which the pumps ruptured diaphragm diverts raw fuel into your crankcase! 

BTW, I would check your oil. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ty Mr. Arrow for enlighten me here 😉, there r way more spots to look at, but the oil too, maybe flush the whole system with oil additives and the fuel path too, cuz there where a lot of debris inside the diaphragm, it was eating his self, so to say...

Regards,

Ron

For the record, in all three failed AirTex pumps the soft parts were like new so....... ;) 

Now fully dismantled the fuel pump today and i found gas in lower cap, which doesn't have to be there, i assume?!

Ordered rebuild kit yesterday and waiting now on shipment, they told me to swap also the valves, but scared me a bit, only by press fit, if they stay in their place...

Regards

Ron 

20190917_161906.jpg