27donb

1924 Buick 6 Cylinder Water Tube

Ok,

To add a bit more confusion to the discussion.

This is the water tube on my '24 Master.

I cannot confirm whether it is original, however you will note that the "rear" of the tube is square.

Additionaly, i see no evidence anywhere of nickle plating.

If the tube had been repaired over it's lifetime (that's a possability), the three "legs" look to be factory and - as mentioned - show no signs of nickel plating.

David.

20181027_113415.jpg

27 donb,

Sorry I thought I took a picture of it but can't locate it.

I can say it was shipped to me in a padded wooden box and was a very nice piece of work.  The welds were smooth and well done and it seemed to fit perfectly looking exactly like the original.

I believe it was very well done !

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 3:50 AM, 1924 6-55 Sport Tourer said:

Ok,

To add a bit more confusion to the discussion.

This is the water tube on my '24 Master.

I cannot confirm whether it is original, however you will note that the "rear" of the tube is square.

Additionaly, i see no evidence anywhere of nickle plating.

If the tube had been repaired over it's lifetime (that's a possability), the three "legs" look to be factory and - as mentioned - show no signs of nickel plating.

David.

20181027_113415.jpg

For Comparison sake, here are close up pictures of the legs on the water tube on my '24 Master Series 51a. The motor has never been touched and the miles are original. I could be wrong, but I do not think they originally had a squared off end to the tube.

20191028_081722.jpg

20191028_081634.jpg

20191028_081702.jpg

• Like 1

29StudiePrez,

You are most likely right.

I'm only showing what is on my car.

I dont think it looks outta place, but comparing to photos i have seen here on the forum mine looks "abnormal".

I have nothing here in my State to compare it too.

What i am sure about is the lack of nickel plating.

David

10 hours ago, 1924 6-55 Sport Tourer said:

29StudiePrez,

You are most likely right.

I'm only showing what is on my car.

I dont think it looks outta place, but comparing to photos i have seen here on the forum mine looks "abnormal".

I have nothing here in my State to compare it too.

What i am sure about is the lack of nickel plating.

David

Understandable. In the original photo showing the hood up, where it is clearly noticeable the difference in the colors between the black of the radiator hose and the metal of the water tube, It's obvious it wasn't also painted black, and since there is a scarcity of any original water tubes that anyone has that do have any evidence of original nickel plating, I wonder if the factory just left the water tube plain bare metal or even just buffed it out for appearance? That's the only logical guess I can come up with as to why in the picture the water tube has a noticeably shiny metal look to it vs what you'd see if it was painted black? 

Edited by 29StudiePrez
Typo (see edit history)

David,

Based on my "Google" search just now, yours looks like a fabricated replacement.

Original  old pictures show a tapered tube with a radiused rear end down to the flange, and I'll bet you 8 to 5 it should be nickel plated

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

Thanks for both of your replies, and i agree 100%.

My water tube is solid so i see no need in replacing it (and i quite like the look of it too).

If once the car is completed and i'm not happy with it/looking for another project 🤔 i might replace it them.

Time will tell.

David.

• Like 1

The cooling tube on my 25-45 has 80% of its original nickel plating remaining, but is not original to this car.  I used some copper sheet to patch up the worst rust holes, yet there are still more pinholes needing patching.

Kevin

cooling manifold 1.jpg

repair band aid.jpg

• Like 1

My 25-45 has the original water tube and it's nickel plated.

• Like 1

Hi again,

As i previously stated, i agree 100% that the water tube on my car is incorrect (as it most likely has been repaired sometime throughout it's life), interestingly though i find yet another Australian car with the same/similar water tube!

Maybe it was a common repair or replacement here in Australia should the original rust out.

The part i find interesting is that there a two 1924 Sport Tourers with similar water tubes 🤔 here in Australia.

Although you cannot argue against the many 100's of photgaphic examples to the contrary, available here on the forum and the World Wide Web.

David.

1924-buick-24-55-master-tourer.jpg

Edited by 1924 6-55 Sport Tourer
Additional information (see edit history)