Sign in to follow this  
Chris Paulsen

1911 Paige-Detroit Surrey for sale - price reduced

Chris is a professor at McPherson College in KS. The school that teaches antique auto restoration.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chris Paulsen said:

Thank you for the compliments. It really is a neat car, and it hasn't been an easy decision for us to try to let it go. It seems to perform quite well, we just can't bring ourselves to tour with it. 

JV-if I can help with more photos, please let me know.

A photograph of the whole car from the side... looking straight at it rather than at an angle would be helpful. Either side will do... I'd like to scale it and superimpose it on my chassis elevations.

Thanks again,

jp

If you take a full on side view, do it from a distance, or picture will be skewed and scaled measurements off.  It's called perspective distortion.  One of my favorite pictures of my Pierce is a beautiful setting, but looking closely the car is curved due to picture being taken too close.

If you're just getting a general idea of lines it would be ok to take a close shot.  For scaling, no.

• Like 1

Here is the best side view photo I have. I can try to get a few from a distance next time it's out. For scale, the rims are 25" clinchers, and the tires are 880x120.

IMG_4671.JPG

Edited by Chris Paulsen (see edit history)

It still keeps looking better............I’m out of garage space,  otherwise I would probably take a peek at it.

On 9/15/2019 at 6:30 AM, trimacar said:

Great looking car...the scuttle dash and the surrey body really make it look sporty....a windshield would ruin the look....the kind of car that makes me wish I'd put money in Microsoft in 1986 so I could afford it now!!

I wonder if this is the Touring Car or the Torpedo? That 25 HP sounds suspicious...it may be that under-rated RAC/NACC/ALAM rating that says a Peerless 13 1/2 liter is 60 HP and a Chevrolet 427 is 57 or 71 HP.

I had a relative who cashed in all her US savings bonds about 1949 and sank them into IBM stock. I never heard how that worked out.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I built a body some years back. Wanted it as close to an original as I could get it. I used several era photos, worked from a few of them. Because there were no available straight side shots, I figured a scale off the thirty inch tires front and rear. Then figured a sliding scale between the front and rear scales for everything in between (which was most of it!). It didn't come out perfect. I somehow didn't get the seat quite right. But it came out really close.

This Paige is simply incredible! I wish I could afford it.

19 hours ago, edinmass said:

It still keeps looking better............I’m out of garage space,  otherwise I would probably take a peek at it.

Ed you just need a bigger garage! 

1 hour ago, Brass is Best said:

Ed you just need a bigger garage! 

While you can never have enough money, be too thin, or have enough garage space, in my soon to be old age, Im trying to be practical and finish two projects.  I find that as I continue to add to my birthdays that I can live with what I have, and don’t need more to make my time here more fulfilling. Learning to enjoy what one has is also just as rewarding. Living vicariously through others is becoming more and more enjoyable. We shall see.........

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Chris Paulsen said:

Here is the best side view photo I have. I can try to get a few from a distance next time it's out. For scale, the rims are 25" clinchers, and the tires are 880x120.

That's great. Thanks very much.

jp

I can image this car with the detachable rear seat removed and two spare tires on the back deck.

I keep looking at photos of this car and it just gets better and better.

A great car offered by a very knowledgeable and well respected brass car collector.

I look at this car as one of those rare "sell the whole collection" cars. It would be very hard to climb into a different car if this one was sitting in your garage, ready to run.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the interest and positive comments. Per your request, here are a couple photos with the rear seat removed - sorry, no spares, though. 

378577.jpg

378578.jpg

Edited by Chris Paulsen (see edit history)

I've talked to quite a few people about this car, but it is still available. Now with the price reduced to $52,500. 

“Use it, enjoy it, let it be a car”.

Good words. I was interested primarily in firearms before vintage cars, and I always think it’s a sad time when things that were made to be used and enjoyed get relegated to the vaults and storage of those who only look and say “I have this”.

Take then out, scratch them, get stone chips, make memories. Be way more fun than winning an award. If you can afford the purchase price you can afford the depreciation that may incur from use.

On 10/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, Chris Paulsen said:

I've talked to quite a few people about this car, but it is still available. Now with the price reduced to $52,500. 

If I were lucky enough to win the lottery or came into a windfall you would be one of the very first recipients of a call from me. Then I would call Reliable for transport to my house!

If you can afford the purchase price you can afford the depreciation that may incur from use.

not so sure that is always true........some buy for investment.

Tour with it.  Remember saving the mileage is like not having sex with your virgin girlfriend.  Your just saving it for the next boyfriend.  LOL  Enjoy it.

On 10/31/2019 at 2:30 AM, ericmac said:

If I were lucky enough to win the lottery or came into a windfall you would be one of the very first recipients of a call from me. Then I would call Reliable for transport to my house!

Its a very nice car and i can  buy it without bragging but i don't want it .There is no top in sight and how many days in a year can you use it when you don't live in the south .Then in the south you get burned and cooked in the hot sun .Like i am in Belgium where we have a lot of bad weather like in a great part in the US .For that money i buy something i can use in all kinds of weather .A little bit of realism is always good .A person in the US told me : sometimes you have to come to your senses .

Come to my senses?  Why?  I have 5 brass-era cars.  My most recent purchase is a 1904 Oldsmobile with no top.  I drove it on the New London to New Brighton run in Minnesota this year - 125 miles in the pouring rain.  Next year I hope to drive it in the real London to Brighton in England.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

• Like 2
  • Haha 1