1911 Paige-Detroit Surrey for sale - price reduced

This 1911 Paige-Detroit is nearly all original. Absolutely incredible preservation vehicle. It features original dark blue with light gray paint on the body, original black paint on the fenders, original leather upholstery. It was delivered new without a windshield or top. We installed new tires, and reconditioned it to driving status. It is otherwise untouched. It was sold new in Lincoln, Nebraska, and remained there until we purchased it 8 years ago. It's been preserved by it's owners, and a history is nearly completely known.

Being a surrey, the back seat is removeable to make it an even sportier runabout. This is reportedly the only complete 1911.

Four cylinder, three speed transmission, 25" rims.

It has never been shown at a concours or other major event-we'll leave that honor to the next owner. Asking $49,500. 

IMG_4656 (2)-.jpg

IMG_4663 (2)-.jpg

IMG_4674 (2)-.jpg

Edited by Chris Paulsen
price reduction (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks......missed the price......getting blind in my old age. Fair value for a great car. Someone will have lots of fun with it. Hard to find interesting car like this one in that price range.👍

The more I look t this car, the more I like it......and I'm a very fussy car snob..........high praise for this car.......any car that you like more and more each time you look/drive it .....its a very rare thing, and this car does that.

• Like 1

Clearly a car that almost any Brass era enthusiast could love. Now if only almost any of us could afford a $62,500.00 vintage car the world would be a wonderful place indeed.

I doubt the buyer will have any regrets on this one. Cars with this degree of appeal and originality are seldomly seen these days.

Greg in Canada

18 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Cars with this degree of appeal and originality are seldomly seen these days.

Which is sort of a funny twist, up until about the year 2000 it's a car that most people would be saying "wow, that'd be a great car to restore"...…..

The originality and look now is an asset.  That said, the lower horsepower cars don't seem to bring the bigger money.  Not that I don't love this one, though, as Ed says, it's an eye magnet.....

• Like 1

When I started on my Mitchell project I made some drawings of what I thought of as the perfect body - since I'll eventually have to build it. This car is almost exactly what I imagined, albeit without the back seat which, of course, could be removed. Thanks very much for posting the photos. I've copied them to use as a guide when I get to that stage. I especially like the hooded cowel and painted radiator shell. They give a longer look than most 4-cylinder cars.

40 minutes ago, Chris Paulsen said:

Wayne-yes, we've had it 7-8 years. It's been fun to bring it back to what it is now.  

Mercer- I know how silly that sounds, but I don't want to see it's originality deteriorate from use during our ownership. 

I say use it.......enjoy it........let it be a car. Most fun I ever had was putting 5500 miles on one of the worlds best low mileage unmolested Model J’s. Went down dirt roads, drove it out on the beach, ran it rain or shine...........we added patina from careful use. Everyone loved to see the car out in the road. Here it is over the pond, with us learning how to drive on the left hand side of the road........yes........first time I ever drove in the left was in a J.............the pucker factor was 10X worse than you could imagine...........a once in a lifetime experience. When I’m in the nursing home I’ll have some great stories to bore everyone with. The photo was taken as the odometer turned 34,000 miles. Original paint, upholstery, rugs, only the top was replaced.

559BED95-0ED2-4CDD-B13B-1128635B6237.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Chris Paulsen said:

Thank you for the compliments. It really is a neat car, and it hasn't been an easy decision for us to try to let it go. It seems to perform quite well, we just can't bring ourselves to tour with it. 

JV-if I can help with more photos, please let me know.

A photograph of the whole car from the side... looking straight at it rather than at an angle would be helpful. Either side will do... I'd like to scale it and superimpose it on my chassis elevations.

Thanks again,

jp

If you take a full on side view, do it from a distance, or picture will be skewed and scaled measurements off.  It's called perspective distortion.  One of my favorite pictures of my Pierce is a beautiful setting, but looking closely the car is curved due to picture being taken too close.

If you're just getting a general idea of lines it would be ok to take a close shot.  For scaling, no.

• Like 1
On 9/15/2019 at 6:30 AM, trimacar said:

Great looking car...the scuttle dash and the surrey body really make it look sporty....a windshield would ruin the look....the kind of car that makes me wish I'd put money in Microsoft in 1986 so I could afford it now!!

I wonder if this is the Touring Car or the Torpedo? That 25 HP sounds suspicious...it may be that under-rated RAC/NACC/ALAM rating that says a Peerless 13 1/2 liter is 60 HP and a Chevrolet 427 is 57 or 71 HP.

I had a relative who cashed in all her US savings bonds about 1949 and sank them into IBM stock. I never heard how that worked out.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I built a body some years back. Wanted it as close to an original as I could get it. I used several era photos, worked from a few of them. Because there were no available straight side shots, I figured a scale off the thirty inch tires front and rear. Then figured a sliding scale between the front and rear scales for everything in between (which was most of it!). It didn't come out perfect. I somehow didn't get the seat quite right. But it came out really close.

This Paige is simply incredible! I wish I could afford it.

1 hour ago, Brass is Best said:

Ed you just need a bigger garage! 

While you can never have enough money, be too thin, or have enough garage space, in my soon to be old age, Im trying to be practical and finish two projects.  I find that as I continue to add to my birthdays that I can live with what I have, and don’t need more to make my time here more fulfilling. Learning to enjoy what one has is also just as rewarding. Living vicariously through others is becoming more and more enjoyable. We shall see.........

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Chris Paulsen said:

Here is the best side view photo I have. I can try to get a few from a distance next time it's out. For scale, the rims are 25" clinchers, and the tires are 880x120.

That's great. Thanks very much.

jp

• Chris Paulsen changed the title to 1911 Paige-Detroit Surrey for sale - price reduced