Sign in to follow this  
Bob Giles

Reliability Tour, July 19-24, 2020

We have the tentative approval to Host the Reliability Tour, July 19-24, 2020 in North Central Pa. It will be sponsored by the AACA with all proceeds going to the National. It will begin and finish in Lock Haven. We will spend one night in Wellsboro. We hope it will be challenging with some time spent in the woods. Everyday will have a coffee stop, lunch and dinner provided. Look for more information in the Speedster and the Antique Automobile Magazine.

Bob and Patti Giles  814-266-2780  divco100b@icloud.com

Tom and Sheri Roberts 814-479-2459 

2020 Reliability Tour dash plaque.jpg

Bob, I love the "Lost In the Woods" picture in your post.  I've done lots of local tours here in the Smoky Mountain and sometimes on roads like that. When I take them on roads like that, I get a lot of flack, resulting in "Alternate Routes"

on current tours.  Often it's hard to find paved routes around the unpaved sections.  Be aware that beauty of the route is not always the most popular

route.  (Although it is for me)

Thanks for the advice Paul. I’ll make sure that everyone knows this isn’t a city tour. I took that picture on one of the legs. It’s about 4 miles long and pretty the whole way. 

D91D65EA-EEA9-4283-9E4B-DC91C86BB609.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob Giles said:

Thanks for the advice Paul. I’ll make sure that everyone knows this isn’t a city tour. I took that picture on one of the legs. It’s about 4 miles long and pretty the whole way. 

This is a delightful segment of road, and I've pre-driven other segments for the 2020 Reliability, as have others in preparation for next year's tour. It should be spectacular, and even more rewarding, knowing that all of the tourts proceeds will be supporting the club.

Most of us "Reliabiity" regulars have come to expect a segment off pavement, and hopefully even the option of fording a small stream.

Typically there will be the option of remaining on pavement, but most prefer the adventute, simulationg the experience of the "Early Auto-ist", especially with our Brass-Era vehicles.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I am game and been there done that  As you can see Lynne has the Google map directions and she looks confused.  Actually Dave Wilson ( Mark McAlpine  road with him in Kingston) was following me on this road and we had to back out over a half mile as there was a washout ahead. Notice the sign to the right. Every so often someone  brings up the topic of the road I took them on.  

2015-08-20 lindsay vintade tour 004.JPG

2015-08-20 lindsay vintade tour 001.JPG

2015-08-20 lindsay vintade tour 006.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

This is a delightful segment of road, and I've pre-driven other segments for the 2020 Reliability, as have others in preparation for next year's tour. It should be spectacular, and even more rewarding, knowing that all of the tourts proceeds will be supporting the club.

Most of us "Reliabiity" regulars have come to expect a segment off pavement, and hopefully even the option of fording a small stream.

Typically there will be the option of remaining on pavement, but most prefer the adventute, simulationg the experience of the "Early Auto-ist", especially with our Brass-Era vehicles.

You mean like this one Marty? (taken on the 2014 Reliability tour in PA.) 

Unfortunately we may have to give it a miss this year.  We need to be in Allentown for the AGN and judging for the Zenith award on Friday. 

Terry

Reliability Tour fording a stream 2014 Resized for Forum.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

You mean like this one Marty? (taken on the 2014 Reliability tour in PA.) 

Unfortunately we may have to give it a miss this year.  We need to be in Allentown for the AGN and judging for the Zenith award on Friday. 

Terry

Yes, Terry,

You two certainly have the spirit.

Hopefully, with the tour in north-central Pennsylvania,  you could attend through at least Wednesday-

Trailer the 152 miles from Lock Haven to Allentown on Thursday morning,

and serve at the AGN.

I'm guessing you do not know there is a Horseless Carriage Club of America tour in Belfast, Maine the same week in July next summer.  It will be interesting to see who chooses to attend which tour.  Personally, I am committed to an AACA Snapper's tour the week starting July 12th in Chatham, On.

Regards, Gary

• Sad 1

Wasn’t aware of any conflicts when we settled on the date. It’s not the first time that choices have to be made. There’s also a overlap with the AACA Grand National in Allentown.

7A515E89-6700-44A1-B352-E116148791F3.jpeg

It's difficult to deconflict national activities with every region's activities, even if only trying to deconflict national tours with activities of the different AACA touring regions.  The overlap of next year's Reliability Tour with the Grand Nationals wasn't planned--they were spaced two weeks apart (and a month before the Southeastern Fall Nationals in Elizabeth, IN) until the problem arose with trailer parking at the AGN host facility and we had to move it two weeks later on the calendar.  We know this is far from optimal, but it could not be afforded--it was the only other weekend the NB Center was available.

It would be great if the Snapper's Brass & Gas Touring Region would expand one of its future Spring, Summer, or Frosty tours into a National Tour and open it to all AACA members.  We've got openings in 2021-2024.

There are lots of tours sponsored by the AACA,VMCCA, and HCCA. As a favor to an old forgetful man would you remind everyone of the years of eligibility for these tours? Thanks, Zeke

Zeke, I can only speak for the AACA because they are my sponsor. The AACA Reliability Tour is for vehicles built in 1915 and earlier.

The photo in a Grist Mill in Loganton Mills.

IMG_2270.JPG