Sign in to follow this  
Zimm63

First generation tires

Yes, I searched and read a lot of old posts on this subjec.

Curious though, is anyone running 235 70s on 6 inch wheels?  If so, do you like them, do they rub on full turn, would you buy them again?  

Inquiring minds want to know.  

I run a 225/75r-15 on my six inch Rally wheels, and they tend to rub just a bit on full lock. I would suspect a 235 would as well. Best of my knowledge is a 225 is about as big of a tire on the stock wheel that you can go with. Maybe others chime in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

Curious though, is anyone running 235 70s on 6 inch wheels?  If so, do you like them, do they rub on full turn, would you buy them again?  

Granted mine isn't a First Gen Riv, I am running 235/75-15 from Diamond Back Tires on my '68's 15x6 stock rally wheels.

There is a bit of rubbing on the front frame splash guards on tight turns and no issues with the back tires. I am running stock height springs also.

I really like the drivability of these tires.

20190415_151217.thumb.jpg.556f248b8efb7e6214cae65f41321fb2.jpg

I would definitely buy these tires again.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I use 225/70/15 on my '64 Riv. The tires rub so very slightly against the frame to wear you don't even notice.  My rims are 6" but are Keystone CustoMags that I purchased in '73 & they ALSO allowed me to install disc brakes with no wheel mods.

Tom T..

• Like 1

Firestone P-225/75 R15s w 3/4" whitewalls look & drive like a dream. & they're relatively inexpensive.  They do rub a little at full turn...I just don't go there

• Like 1

OK Riviera People: I'm with Tom here.  225 70'z are there ticket!   A wee bit lower to the ground (almost an inch in body height) and  a wee bit more meat on the ground.   WINNER!  All I want's a decent white wall for looks. The original stripes?  I don't trip on that.  I got mine at America's Tire for $277 for 4 carry out. I mount 'em myself and Costco balances them for $5 per tire.  Mitch

"Wee bit more meet on the ground"?  225mm is 225mm no matter what the profile.  The 70 series will set your car lower; 2 x the difference between 75% of 225mm and 70% of 225mm, but by sitting you car lower by using 70 series tires, they make more revolutions per mile which does two things: 1) causes more wear on your tires, and 2) causes your engine to turn more revolutions per mile.  Revolutions relate to engine wear. 🤔

Boy, now were NIT-PICKING!!!! 

The size makes me HAPPY. This size was standard equipment on one of my customers '92 RoadMaster. Mine are the same TPC spec tire as the '92 And they have the whitewall I LIKE!!!!  A pencil stripe about 1/2".  With my Keystone's I feel the look is just righr for MY TASTES.

Tom T.

• Like 2

I like how Riv's look with large tires that really fill out the wheelwell. I'm going to have to modify my exhaust to get more tire clearance at the rear. I don't know how the exhaust guys thought it was ok. I might go with 1" wheel spacers all the way around to get more clearance and fill out the wheel wells.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, NC1968Riviera said:

Granted mine isn't a First Gen Riv, I am running 235/75-15 from Diamond Back Tires on my '68's 15x6 stock rally wheels.

There is a bit of rubbing on the front frame splash guards on tight turns and no issues with the back tires. I am running stock height springs also.

I really like the drivability of these tires.

I would definitely buy these tires again.

I really want to go with these tires, really love that triple stripe.

• Like 1

Remember the wider the spacer you use will MANDATE the use of longer studs.

Myself I wouldn't use anything more than it takes to provide the clearance you need. 

Saying that I would feel comfortable with a 1/4"-1/2" spacer MAX.           In reality I don't LIKE USING SPACERS AT ALL!!!!

Now lets get into how the engineers who designed & spec'd & came up with what they did & the reasoning.  I'm sure I may have forgotten a few things & the reasons for the engineering so please don't bash me too hard.  With that being said lets continue.

MOST ALL engineers designed wheel spacing with the center-line of the wheel, the front & rear, to be over the center-line of the inner wheel bearing in front & the rear axle bearing.  That's the way the engineers designed them. Now we can deviant + or- from that SOME , BUT not to a great extent. The rear doesn't become as critical as the front.  As MOST will know the inner front wheel bearing is MUCH larger than the outer wheel bearing. That's because the substantial weight of the front end is carried by the inner front wheel bearing. The further out you bring the front the MORE pressure is loaded to the outer front wheel bearing which was NEVER designed to take a substantial amount of the load of the heaviest part of the car which is the FRONT.   It was just there to keep the assembly from falling off the car.   Add something as thick as a 1" spacer or thicker (or very positive offset wheels) & you end up with what you see these kids running around with the tops of the wheel tilted in at the top SO FAR NEGATIVE CAMBER they look silly. Of course NEG. camber makes the car handle better around turns, BUT at the cost of tire wear, steering  & riding comfort.   WHY did, or most us,  buy a Riv. for in the 1st. place???  It's NOT to have a corner carver,  BUT a car that rides decently & handles fair taken into consideration it's size & bulk.  AND, Buick did a damn fair job on the 1st. gen Rivs as far as riding comfort & handling abilities STOCK!!!  Some of us want MORE than was designed in the car & make the nec. changes & adjustments nec. to accomplish what they are after.   Some like the loose wallowing feeling of the original car's suspension & steering quality however they remember the original wishy washing handling. OR the diff. between Monroe shocks, some other cheapy shocks or KYB's or Bilstiens.  Myself I have Koni shocks on my Riv. that were SPECIAL ORDERED in the late 60's & I'm pretty sure I'm the ONLY ONE to have Koni shocks on a 1st. gen Riv.

I know because I bought my Riv. NEW!!!  It was OK in my mind,  BUT a damn sight better than a Mopar product or a Ford product of the time, especially the T-Bird. The Riv. in my mind was FAR SUPERIOR!!!!

When going for wheels, mainly, you need to take & keep these engineering designs & considerations in the back of your head & follow them. I would be willing to bet MOST NEVER even have brought this to mind. We are not talking about Honda Civics or Toyota Corollas here.

Just my dimes worth IF it's worth that much!!!!

Tom T.

• Like 3

One thing to consider when running larger than stock tires is that you will be going faster than the indicated speedometer reading.

I just finished a 200 mile round trip to the Riviera's in the Park annual ROA NC picnic today. My GPS speed was at least 5 MPH faster than my speedometer speed on my 235/75-15 tires on stock 15x6 rally wheels.

You definitely need to keep that in mind if you travel through "speed trap" sections of the highway.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, telriv said:

Boy, now were NIT-PICKING!!!! 

The size makes me HAPPY. This size was standard equipment on one of my customers '92 RoadMaster. Mine are the same TPC spec tire as the '92 And they have the whitewall I LIKE!!!!  A pencil stripe about 1/2".  With my Keystone's I feel the look is just righr for MY TASTES.

Tom T.

Don't give it a second thought, we all know that is what he does, "NIT PICK," especially when it suit his needs!

• Like 1

As Jack Webb used to say " Just the facts." Thats all I was doing, just stating facts. Take it any way you want.  

18 hours ago, jsgun said:

I like how Riv's look with large tires that really fill out the wheelwell. I'm going to have to modify my exhaust to get more tire clearance at the rear. I don't know how the exhaust guys thought it was ok. I might go with 1" wheel spacers all the way around to get more clearance and fill out the wheel wells.

I used 1/4 inch ones on mine, and it's just right.

On 9/12/2019 at 4:04 PM, Zimm63 said:

Hi,

have had 235/75 on my 63 with oversized rim option 6” for about three years and very pleased. They do touch the frame on full lock, but that’s not a big deal.

Yes, I would buy the same size again, they “look right” 

just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀