9/11

old car fan

Good Bless all that have perished, and God Bless their families. We are  still losing people every day from cancer , because of the horrible attacks from 18 years ago.  We must never forget. Just remember that  what we do  is a hobby!!!!  A great hobby. Not life and death.! 

• Like 1

I live north of NYC.... I remember the convoy of New York State Troopers heading south towards the city that day and people flying the American Flag on their vehicles.... God Bless All !

Never Forget !!

Steve 

EX-CHIEF  NHFD

Chief.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And thank YOU, Chief, for your chosen career. As have the firemen I know, I am certain you have seen things you wish you hadn't. Multiply by so much 9-11 terrorist inflicted carnage and tragedy, the generations to come will remember along with 12-7-'41. 

Oh, and the tail end of the car in front of yours bears a strong resemblance to a '63 deVille Cadillac.    -  Carl 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Never forget that day. Be sure to explain what happened to younger generations. God Bless America.

8V7A0647.jpg

The museum is one of the most touching places I've been in all of my travels 

I was 13 when it happened, and despite it being the other side of the world (and somewhere I'd never been) I can vividly recall the next day (it was late evening in our time zone) 

I remember volunteering right after the attacks, Churches were asking for  help  in setting up rest stations at various High Schools in Brooklyn and Queens for Firefighters and Police  who were working day and night at the Twin Towers.. I wonder how many of these Brave Men and Women had become ill and  passed because of there efforts . These are real heroes. And thank you Chief Pollard, and God Bless you  for your service. John

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

As I watched some of the shows last night reviewing the tragedy of that horrifying day, I was once again reminded of how fast we have moved on.  In some ways that is good but it seems a disrespectful that we as a nation do not pay enough (IMO) respect to the victims and heroes of that time.  

I don't think you have to worry about them feeling disrespected, Steve. I have a friend who lost immediate family in 9/11 and she has the exact opposite feeling--every year, it's like the wound is re-opened with all the remembrances and ceremonies. She WANTS everyone to move on. She WANTS us to forget about it. She doesn't feel consoled by the outpouring of grief from her fellow Americans every year; she feels like it happened just yesterday every single September. She dreads it. She gets past it and feels pretty good the rest of the year, then the whole country wakes up and flat-out demands that she remember it all over again. She went to the ceremonies for the first few years but now she ignores the invitations and just hides from the whole thing. People actually get really angry at her for not wanting to participate and call her unpatriotic and a traitor and all kinds of other awful things. Sometimes I think the people who most need to remember it have forgotten what our flag stands for.

I understand as a country wanting to make sure we don't forget what happened, but there were other victims and there are other tragedies every day. Singling this one out as the most important one, particularly given what it has done to our country in subsequent years, starts to ring kind of hollow after nearly 20 years. This isn't to diminish any of the bravery or sacrifices that anyone made, but think of my friend who says, "Why do I have to let America celebrate my mother's death every single year like it's her birthday? It's like she's not my mother anymore and all these strangers want to take her away from me so they can make her death mean something to them." That had a profound effect on me. All the "respect" and honor and ceremonies and quiet words of support only hurt her more; they don't help her heal. I suspect she is not alone, not by a long shot.

I don't mean any disrespect at all, so please don't take it that way. But moving on isn't disrespectful. It's normal. It's human. It's healthy. Don't forget, don't stop being thankful for brave people with strong wills, and don't ignore the lessons it taught us. But it's OK if you don't feel the same pain and outrage as you did 18 years ago. You aren't a bad person and you aren't a bad American, you're just human. You don't have to conjure up all the memories each year to make sure you're still angry about it. Just remember it in a way that satisfies your soul and your conscience. And please don't forget the people who survived--first responders who are sick today, families with lost loved ones, and all the lives that were lost and families that were destroyed in the years that followed. Mourn the dead, but honor the living victims because they have to live with it in a way most of us can't understand.

So don't worry, Steve. I don't think anyone will accuse you of not being respectful enough. Not anyone who matters, anyway.

• Thanks 1

The healing process involves moving on.  We never forget but we must move on to strengthen ourselves and our country.  The strength of us is recovery not defeat.  I personally am indebted to many who helped me in my recovery.  Every day we should remember and pray for all those who continue to help us from police, fire and rescue personnel and those who staff hospitals and rehabilitation facilities.  They see the sadness of life going wrong for so many and come back every day to take on the challenge.  Let’s honor them too.

• Like 2

Matt, I certainly see your viewpoint and respect it.  I also feel for everyone who suffers at the memory of those days.  However, for me, without remembering and talking about those horrific events mean they can easily be repeated again.  

The atrocities and the bigotry of WWII at the hands of the Nazi's have not stopped the fringe groups from spilling their hatred today.  Young people do not know enough about what happened back then and then we have all the deniers out there.  History should teach us, they should be lessons but they are too easily forgotten in this fast paced digital world today.  We were attacked on our own soil and the carnage could have been worse if it were not for some brave souls on the airplane that crashed just north of here. 

What  I did see today was my staff talking about the shows they saw on TV last night.  It was interesting that quite a few saw some of what I happened to see by accident and we talked about it and I thought the conversation was good for all of us.  One remarked how we came together as a country after 9/11, it means we are capable of doing that but look at the mess we are in today.

I grew up in a small town with small town values with parents that abhorred bigotry of anyone regardless of ethnic,  race, religious or different background.  They were tolerant of others but today we have to choose sides according to so many.  Old Car Fan, you hit it on the head, hatred could be wiped out by good parenting.  So , for me personally, I do not feel that forgetting anything that happens because of hatred is a good thing.  Accidents are horrible, and sad but deliberate acts are an entirely different thing.  This is not very eloquent, too tired to come up with the words but 9/11 remembrances I hope will at least help some people understand the dangers of hatred. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Steve, I thank you for your  comments. There are so many memories from that day, and the following weeks that are hard to erase. I live about 25 miles form Manhattan, and yet when I walked my dog weeks after the attacks, I could see plumes of smoke from where the  former Towers stood rising into the sky. Driving through Queens, you saw dark skies of ash hovering over Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn. The stench from burning bodies was evident as we tried  to get through the day.

I had a friend come in from California the following Spring who wanted to go down and experience what had happened. I told her she did not know how horrible it was. When she saw the burnt out buildings, piles of rubble and barricades, she broke down and cried. She had no idea of the devastation. 

Again , Steve, thank you again for you thoughtful words. See you at Hershey. Thanks , John