Evapor-rust as cooling system rust remover

Buick35

I've read where using evapor-rust as a rust remover in the cooling system works well. My system takes 28 pints of coolant and I only bought 2 gallons or 16 pints.Would that be enough to work or should I buy another gallon,or just add a gallon of water? Thanks,Greg.

Just now, Alex D. said:

I would buy another gallon and not dilute.

This.

It has the same viscosity as water and I used Ed's advice to just use straight Evapo-Rust to clean out cooling systems. Be sure to use some kind of filter on the upper hose to catch all the stuff that's going to come loose. Grimy's suggestion of a woman's pantyhose foot is a good one so all that trash doesn't clog your radiator. Drive around on it that way for a few weeks, cleaning the filter periodically, giving it a few good heat cycles and really let the water pump churn it through there. You'll be amazed by what comes out!

I followed Ed’s advice and drained, then flushed twice before adding the Evaporust. I bought a 5 gallon pail from Home Depot (special order) for $80. I ran it for 6 weeks driving the car almost every day. By the end of the first week, no more overheating. By the end of 6 weeks, my engine and radiator were as clean as from the factory!

I drained the Evaporust and put it in another car which I plan to run another 4-6 weeks.

GREAT STUFF! 

Thanks Ed!!!

Wayne

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Phillip Cole said:

Does straight Evapo-rust work better than their radiator flush, Thermocure?

They are different products, but whether they act in the same way, I don't know. Evapo-Rust is a "proprietary non-hazardous chelating agent" plus a little detergent in >83% water. Thermocure is fertiliser (diammonium phosphate) plus sodium salts in water. They are both acid (pH 6.0-7.0) but I suspect Thermocure is about scale and so on in the radiator more than rust.

I used EvapoRust at the suggestion of Ed in Mass, as I recall. I think it worked pretty well, and you don't have to worry so much about caustic deterioration of gaskets and such. Ed says he uses it straight through the entire warm season. I just tried it straight for a few weeks to be cautious. No leaks or damage. Next year I'll probably use it for a couple of months and if that works, I might do the following year for the whole warm season like Ed.

I did use the EvapoRust ThermoCure product for a couple of weeks before using the EvapoRust. The products aren't the same, but I think they may be related. They both work better the more you drive the car.

I was looking at Evaporust at a vendor's booth years ago and was talking to the vendor when a bystander said you might as well use Coke sweet drink.  I use Evaporust to clean small parts from my 28 DB. Just dunk the parts and leave over night. It is really good for  irregular shaped object.   Excellent for cleaning valuable and antique stuff.. It is better to put object to clean in a container with a cap.   to prevent evaporation . Check periodically for cleanness. Wash objects with water and blow dry immediately. If you did not wash immediately dot be afraid . The objects can remain for weeks until washed. Liquid can be reused until it turns black.. If the objects look black after removing from liquid just brush with a fine wire brush. .It is the best invention next to slice bread 

You may want to use a little caution with the evaporust. I had a pair of aluminum heads on a car that were heavily corroded but not leaking. When i used the evaporust, it did a great job removing the rust and corrosion but then the heads leaked. I'm sure the heads would have eventually started to leak but the process was speeded up with the Evaporust.

1 hour ago, Shipping reccomendations said:

You may want to use a little caution with the evaporust. I had a pair of aluminum heads on a car that were heavily corroded but not leaking. When i used the evaporust, it did a great job removing the rust and corrosion but then the heads leaked. I'm sure the heads would have eventually started to leak but the process was speeded up with the Evaporust.

I suspect the Evapo-Rust merely removed the corrosion that was preventing the leak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I suspect the Evapo-Rust merely removed the corrosion that was preventing the leak.

Matt is 100 percent correct.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Found this thread and plan on using evapo-rust in the hopes of getting a 1953 Cranbrook to stop running hot from scale. Got the car for a song because previous owner could not.  He put in a new radiator, water pump and thermostat and looking at these parts I can only imagine the scale in the motor.  One question. The 53 has a couple coils for heat and defrost. Going to be hard to get all the anti-freeze 100% out. Won't affect the evapo-rust too much will it? Figure I have 6-8 weeks of not worrying about any possibility of a freeze so will drive it every day keeping an eye on the weather. And panty hose as a filter?   This old survivor needs saved. Runs, drives and stops great but lived a long life on a county gravel road.s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

One question. The 53 has a couple coils for heat and defrost. Going to be hard to get all the anti-freeze 100% out. Won't affect the evapo-rust too much will it?

You could always just bypass the heating/defrost coils until you are through with the evaporust process. If you are concerned about the antifreeze remaining then also know that the evaporust will also stay entrained. 

Once evaporust turns black I suspect that it’s ph had changed and becomes ineffective. That said any remaining traces are likely not going to be a problem. 

• Like 1

I used evaporust  all the time. It safe on your hands and environment friendly. When the colour changes to black it is ineffective.  It does not damage gaskets or rubber It softens hard rubber.Vinegar might do the same. One old gentle man told me his Ford carburetor was sucking transmission fluid  from  the  tranny and his valve cover was clean as a whistle  If you decide to store a radiator for long term it is best to fill it with Automatic transmission oil. Cannot beat it.

• Like 1

Do you mean the block heater in the frost plug  ? No problem. If it leaks after cleaning just replace the coils. It was about to leak any way. To flush cooling system remove thermostat and use garden hose with engine running

• Like 1

If for example you have a bumper with some rust you would like to remove, just hang it , put a wide receptacle under and fill with evaporust use a paint brush and constantly brush with the liquid until clean . Do not let dry in between. Better than blasting. Are you interested in reusing original fasteners ?  Put them in a cup and fill with evaporust. You will be surprised. Like almost brand new again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:53 AM, Brooklyn Beer said:

Found this thread and plan on using evapo-rust in the hopes of getting a 1953 Cranbrook to stop running hot from scale. Got the car for a song because previous owner could not.  He put in a new radiator, water pump and thermostat and looking at these parts I can only imagine the scale in the motor.  One question. The 53 has a couple coils for heat and defrost. Going to be hard to get all the anti-freeze 100% out. Won't affect the evapo-rust too much will it? Figure I have 6-8 weeks of not worrying about any possibility of a freeze so will drive it every day keeping an eye on the weather. And panty hose as a filter?   This old survivor needs saved. Runs, drives and stops great but lived a long life on a county gravel road.s-l1600.jpg

Found this on a Mopar Forum and thought it might be your problem: "Was the water distribution tube checked and or replaced when the engine was rebuilt? Those tubes had a real tendency to rust and cause overheating. Had one flathead 6 years ago where the thing looked like swiss cheese with all of the holes in it.. Was the tube reinstalled when the engine was reassembled? I remember a few cases where the tube was not installed after a rebuild causing quick overheating."

Howard Dennis

9 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Motor has never been out of the car and runs like a swiss watch.  Just was getting warm at idle.  getting better by the day though with evapo-rust as coolant

Year, Make, and model please......thanks.

11 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Motor has never been out of the car and runs like a swiss watch.  Just was getting warm at idle.  getting better by the day though with evapo-rust as coolant

All I was saying is unless the tube is checked you have no idea if it is intact or not.

Howard Dennis

If the evapo rust doesn't do the trick I will pull the new water pump the previous owner installed and see the condition of it. Heck, he might of pulled it and never put back?  Either way the evapo rust should make that job easier I would hope.  Is there anyone repo'ing the tube?    Doesn't look like to hard of a job to yank it unless it is rusted in.