QuinBob 55 Special

First classic car! 55 Buick Special

Hi all, Quinten here.  This is actually my wife's car as she found it and purchased it when we were in high school.  Once married (now OUR car!) we never had a garage to keep it in until now.  It has sat, rarely driven, but started occasionally, in her parent's garage for the past 15 years.  We're excited to get it back on the road and show it off.

Here it is on the way to the shop to get the brakes serviced so we can do some cruising here soon.  Just wanted to introduce myself and say that it is great that a forum like this exists.  I'm sure I'll have many questions down the road.  For now, I'm just looking for some advice in terms of starting points for maintenance.  I've checked the oil and fluids.  The belts and hoses seem fine for now.  The car starts just fine.  Any suggestions on specific components I need to be checking as it has sat for many years?

IMG_2505.JPG

• Like 3

Check the fuel system, make sure the fuel pump's working properly and not pumping rust from a dirty tank. If the gas is old and stale get all of it out of the tank. Only operate a car on fresh gas!

Welcome.  Specials are always special to me!  Great looking Buick.  Enjoy.   Yes, make sure the tank and fuel system is clean.  The brake job, assure the rubber break hoses are in good shape.   The 15 year old tires, may be good to replace.   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.  We will be draining the fuel tank and replacing the fuel filter.  Any other suggestions or additives to be considered for fuel system?

The brakes are getting a full overhaul in the shop so I feel good about that.  We checked out all the brake lines with the mechanic and those are in good shape.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, QuinBob 55 Special said:

Thanks for the feedback.  We will be draining the fuel tank and replacing the fuel filter.  Any other suggestions or additives to be considered for fuel system?

The brakes are getting a full overhaul in the shop so I feel good about that.  We checked out all the brake lines with the mechanic and those are in good shape.

I do not add anything to the fuel tanks in my 54 or 60.  The gas does not sit that long in mine!  Each may sit for 2 weeks max before I at least start and run or take for a drive. If I left them for 3 months unattended I would add some gas stabilizer.  You  should have the 264 nailhead.  Same as my 54.  Run the low octane.  I do without any issues.