Sign in to follow this  
MICKTHEDIG

Friend Selling a really nice 1926 Lincoln Model L

Recommended Posts

Beautiful car. love the originality.  Similar problem to auburnseeker.  No space unless something goes.  Seems fairly priced to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I have the space,  just not enough money.  I to love the originality. 

I have the space , some cash but i am to tall to fit in these kind of of cars .These have been made when everybody was not that tall and many times the seat is part of the structure and cannot move back .i had a 32 packard and i could fit in but in fact was not 100% safe to drive with my long legs and the big wheel and shifter etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The usual comments regarding Lincolns in the twenties is that they lacked styling.  But this is a nice looking car in good colors.  And, for the most part, I think most 1920's Touring cars look about the same.  I'm not talking about Model T v Lincoln or Cadillac, but Peerless, Packard, Cadillac, Buick, etc all to me appear about the same. 

 

Nice looking car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a gorgeous car. I especially like the paint scheme. Try to find a contemporary Packard or Cadillac touring for that kind of money!

I hear you, Daniel, about trying to squeeze long legs into old cars, especially old long legs. I had a Model A Ford roadster for a while, just because I always wanted a Model A. I had to lift myself off the seat to shift it into reverse. My '37 LaSalle will be going into the shop in the near future to move the front seat back a few inches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, suchan said:

That is a gorgeous car. I especially like the paint scheme. Try to find a contemporary Packard or Cadillac touring for that kind of money!

I hear you, Daniel, about trying to squeeze long legs into old cars, especially old long legs. I had a Model A Ford roadster for a while, just because I always wanted a Model A. I had to lift myself off the seat to shift it into reverse. My '37 LaSalle will be going into the shop in the near future to move the front seat back a few inches.

I am happy that i am not alone with the problem of the tight space in that generation of cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can appreciate the comments about not fitting in cars of this era , I too am 6 feet tall and long legs. I drove a 1929 Lincoln model L dual cowl phaeton that my friend  Austin Clark owned many many times and fit fine, I own a 1930 Packard 7 passenger touring and fit fine. What I have found in cars of that era , if it has a division window, then there could be issues as you can't really adjust the seat for more room. I owned a RR Springfield built Phantom I town car and never could be comfortable in it due to the small area for leg room, same goes for the excellent original 1937 Packard Super 8 limousine I had, the division window made the back rest of the front seat to vertical and it was like sitting in a church pew - not bad for a short period of time but after 15 minutes you were not comfortable ( the car not the church!  🙄).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drive my '41 Buick Limited limousine with a divider window everywhere and discovered that sitting on a 4-inch boat cushion finished in matching black leather changes everything. It changes the geometry of my legs and suddenly it's all-day comfortable. I've also recently acquired a '41 Buick 71C convertible sedan for inventory and I found its seat a little low like the Limited's, so they're all probably similar. 


Anyway, moving up the seating position made a big difference to the point where I'm planning to have the seat reconfigured a bit to shorten the back cushion and raise the lower cushion so it looks stock but will give me the improved driving position.

 

I don't know if the same would help in a car like this, but it made me go from worried that I'd hate owing the car to it being my favorite for long drives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Walt G said:

What I have found in cars of that era , if it has a division window, then there could be issues as you can't really adjust the seat for more room. ...

 

If I recall correctly, the excellent magazine

Special Interest Autos had an article many years

ago showing some dimensions of cars of that era.

Certain body styles had more leg room than others,

and I think it was the 7-passenger models (those with

a middle row of jump seats) that had less FRONT legroom

because the front seat was farther forward.  The seat

was forward to allow room for all the seating in back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John

That may be true but the room was primarily gained for the 7 passenger cars was in the rear tub of the body . the part behind the rear doors. If you compare most of the bodies , say Cadillac, Lincoln, Pierce Arrow and Packard of that era and look at the 5 and seven passenger cars the rear body section/tub is longer . Even if it is a few inches that translates into a lot of room. this is especially visible in the touring cars.

Walt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too wish I was in a position to buy this car today. Too many dream cars out there right now!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just incase one is wondering,  this is the car in the listing.    I was only able to pull a couple of images.  There are alot more in the listing. 

68133592-770-0@2X.jpg

68133594-770-0@2X.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 8:57 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I drive my '41 Buick Limited limousine with a divider window everywhere and discovered that sitting on a 4-inch boat cushion finished in matching black leather changes everything. It changes the geometry of my legs and suddenly it's all-day comfortable. I've also recently acquired a '41 Buick 71C convertible sedan for inventory and I found its seat a little low like the Limited's, so they're all probably similar. 


Anyway, moving up the seating position made a big difference to the point where I'm planning to have the seat reconfigured a bit to shorten the back cushion and raise the lower cushion so it looks stock but will give me the improved driving position.

 

I don't know if the same would help in a car like this, but it made me go from worried that I'd hate owing the car to it being my favorite for long drives.

Both dad and I are over 6 foot tall and when we bought the Austin Healey 3000 one of the first things on the list was to remove the pedal extenders - well, on the drive home we found the pedal extenders to be pretty dreamy nice - instead of your legs being straight out (which is exhausting) you have a kink in your leg via knee and allows for hours of comfortable driving. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this