1920s enclosed body roof restoration questions

Frantz

I'm going to look at a 1920s Jewett this weekend. It's a restoration project that looks like most of the work has been done but needs to be put back together. The one area I know I'd need to do is the roof. I've never owned or worked on a car of this vintage. I don't even know what the style of roof is called! What's typically involved? Wood bows and a top I take it? If the originals aren't around, how hard is it have a good guess on making a pattern up?

Do we know what the body style is? Touring car? Sedan? Coupe? Roadster? Makes quite a difference on what needs to be done to repair or replace it. And the year may make a difference. Jewett was built from about '21 to '26 as a "companion" car to the Paige. I have a '27 Paige 6-45 which was the car planned for Jewett for '27 before efforts to sell the Paige Detroit company pushed them to bring the Jewett up and call it another Paige to boost sales.

3 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

You are only a few miles up Interstate 83 from us. Stop down and we will answer your questions and show you how it's done.

Thanks for the offer I had you in mind if anything came up!

It's a 2 door sedan... or that's what I'd call it.  

20190831_184746.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a few photos taken during the restoration of my '29 McLaughlin-Buick. Almost every piece of wood was replaced on this body. It helped that the owner/restorer was a master cabinet maker by trade ! Took him 10 years.

Jim

'29 McLaughlin Buick restoration photos 2.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 3

If the wood is good it might not be a big job.  The top is identical to a Model A Sedan, video's on utube.   Just make sure the wood is solid.  Any Model A club member should be able to help.  With the original fabric still in place I would bet the top was all in place before he started the restoration.

Saying that any Model A club member should be able to help is a stretch.  Many members know nothing about replacing a closed car top because they do not do their own work.  It works the same for any hobby.  Cars,  motorcycles, boats or airplanes it makes no difference,  Some people are mechanically inclined while many are not. There are books and the internet, seek the information and learn.