Buick Heritage Alliance

Has anyone ordered anything recently from the Buick Heritage Alliance? I ordered two manuals on July 28th and have yet to receive them. I tried several times emailing the contact listed on the BHA website but it is returned as undeliverable. I also emailed the BHA president last week. No response from him.

I was in touch with David Landow today. All open BHA orders have been printed and filled, and will ship via USPS tomorrow. David said the BHA endured weeks of web site technical problems for which they had difficulty resolving, which delayed orders, and he was out sick for a few weeks. All orders are filled. David and the BHA apologize for the delays, and they want to assure everyone that all orders going forward will be very quickly filled. The BHA appreciates everyone’s patience and indulgence with the delays. Any questions about your order can be sent directly to David at: DLandow@LandowCo.com  He will answer as quickly as he can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So someone was generously helping me with my car one day when I thoughtlessly reached for the parts-book (an original) and opened it. He suddenly froze in place and that caused me to look up. When I did, his eyes got real big and with hands gently coaxing the air he said, “Now just gently set that down, and after you wash your hands take some real nice pictures of each page — AND NEVER OPEN IT AGAIN!”

Well, swiping through pictures on a phone while working on a car is a real PITA, not to mention extraordinarily unpractical in the first place. There is something about having the book in hand and going to the index to flip directly to the needed page. Oily grease covered fingers or not.

So I got some reprint manuals through BHA, and one from Faxon (see pic below - right side is a page from a Faxon, left is a page from a BHA manual).

Now this is just my opinion, but that Faxon watermark on _every_ _single_ _page_ just drives me nuts. Again, that’s just my opinion, but I will point out: If I’m looking at a manual there’s a pretty good chance I’m working on the car. I’m probably down there with either very little light or way too much from a shop lamp glaring off the page. That darn watermark can be a readability issue.

I don’t know, here’s the pic, you be the judge. For me 10-15 extra bucks = no problem. No problem at all.

Ben P.

P.S. I don’t intend to disparage Faxon, nor do I know for a fact that EVERY manual from BHA does not have watermarks as well. Maybe some do. The manual I got does not. Either way, both are clearly marked as reprints with GM LLC permission.

C8342246-26A7-4E4D-AFB8-F22C729F9FF8.jpeg

Edited by Ben Perfitt
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Ben,

I appreciate both approaches, that is to keep irreplaceable original books as safe and clean as possible  (here I understand the concern of your friend you mentioned)  For workshop use you can always scan these original books and print as many sheets as you need and when you need. This is not so much effort in my view.

Josef

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:32 AM, pepcak said:

Ben,

I appreciate both approaches, that is to keep irreplaceable original books as safe and clean as possible  (here I understand the concern of your friend you mentioned)  For workshop use you can always scan these original books and print as many sheets as you need and when you need. This is not so much effort in my view.

Josef

Josef:

That is what I routinely do. Scan the pages and then keep in the garage.  Leif Holmberg had spent many hours scanning 1920s parts books. The last we heard he was offering them on a flash drive. Unfortunately I have not heard from him since last year. I know some of those manuals  because I sent many to him from Ebay sellers who would not ship to Sweden

Why not scan the originals and print the pages?

Fair question.

To me it was not worth it.

I’m not retired - my time is worth something. Reproduction manuals are already available for my year/model. Why duplicate the work someone else has already done?

But mostly, binding binding binding. The best I could do myself is staple a bunch of loose pages together - and how long would that last? If I wanted to put more effort into it I could buy a paper punch and ringed binder, or a plastic clip binder and cover. But how long do those last before tearing out? (A few uses is my experience from school.)

I bought the book pictured below recently at a car show. It’s actually a compilation of material from original period sales catalogues and parts-books on the subject that the gentleman selling it had compiled for his own use. Store-bought binding like I mentioned above frustrated him and he went out and bought a used industrial binder. Binding became a hobby in itself for him and out of it he began selling some of these compilations he had done for himself.

The price? Frightful, you don’t want to know. But the book is delightful, it was work I could never do myself, and I was happy to pay the price. Though it surely didn’t make him a profit, and he may have to sell many many copies at many shows for many years before he can even recover his cost.

Maybe the picture didn’t come out well, but those pages are sewn together - they’re never coming apart.

In other words - I’m not making a hobby of this. 🙂

30-40-50 dollars for a reprint manual? Not a problem. Watermarks on each and every single page? An unnecessary and annoying hindrance.

JMO,

Ben P.

17429B13-5823-498F-BFA8-39D31A06C3B7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ouch. What is your year/model?

Maybe someone has a parts book for it + would be willing to photo some needed pages for you?

Ive gotten you know my E-35 well enough to know I couldn’t buy _anything_ for it w/out the parts book.

Edited by Ben Perfitt
Typo (see edit history)

Ben thanks for the idea.  Still no parts book. It’s a 15 C25   It’s a long project so I’ll just wing it at Hershey and rely on my Buick friends to steer me when I have that dazed look on my face