Big Dawg

Hello all.. I'm a happy new Desoto owner. I accepted the stewardship of the car from the previous owner from Odessa Texas. I and the car now live in Kansas City Ks.

I was lucky to work a great deal on a 1930 Desoto sedan with the straight 8   .a 4 dr sedan and I,ill get more schooled as time goes on I,m sure.

previous owner had told me some things about the car but I,m sure we all know that goes. he got my 1940 Packard from me which I knew pretty every nut and bolt about it. it was a street rod but now I,m back to my favorite type of cars and that's all original.

I look forward to talking with you all for advice and knowledge on the car.FB_IMG_1567467647920.thumb.jpg.e7fa17c54d8a6df5ad97236069294378.jpg

• Like 8

I do have some issues with it after just one ride today. it seems like the windshield is a bit loose in the frame and all the door handles are very stiff and all the window cranks are very stiff so ill start by oiling it all up but the windshield has me bothered

Looks like a nice enough car! Antique automobiles always need something. If it is running enough to hear a windshield rattle, you should be halfway there! Some detailing. Paint those wheels! Certainly some bugs to work out to be a well sorted tour car or ready-and-willing driver. How is the interior? All the Chrysler cars during those years tended to be good and reliable automobiles. Looks like a car that could be enjoyed for many years to come.

Welcome to the affliction!

thanks all for the kind words and words of encouragement. I,m not sure about painting the wheels. I like the wood look. ill just refinish them I think over the winter in my shop.

the interior was pretty worn out. I stripped the driver door panel and found it was just covered over the original door material. both are shot but at least I got the template to use. was going to go with a camel color leather or vinyl but in this model I think it would have been a material type only so still looking for the correct material.

as for raising the windscreen I don't believe it does have the mech. to do that. plus I have no idea where to look for it or not.lol again with the schooling on this car.

I cant believe how well the car starts and runs. took it to a local car show sat. and there was 300 plus assorted vehicles there and out of the 12 antique cars I got 2nd place since I really did drive mine in instead of trailering it.was beat out by a 27 T . it was hauled in.lol not bad for 1 st time out.

still needing door handles and window handles. I did get the rear opera glasses to move up and down. .and yes I do have street rods as well and another restored car or two.

ill try and load a pic of the 40 Packard I traded for the car.

There is an old junkyard near me in Ohio. I first heard about it when I was an "car-club kid," riding in in my parents' rumble seat on local AACA tours. In those days I LOVED going to junk yards with my dad, and checking out all the cool old cars. I distinctly recall a member of our AACA chapter telling my dad about one junkyard which still had really old stuff in it. And he specifically mentioned that it had one really rare car: "...a '30 DeSoto 8." 

Fast forward a decade or two, and I ended up going to that old junkyard myself. It is still there, still loaded with really old stuff. (Here in Ohio everything is badly rusted, but I love the place anyway). I did find one old sedan back among overgrown trees, which MIGHT be the 1930- DeSoto 8 that my dad's friend mentioned. 

When the seasons change and the mosquitoes, ticks, and wasps are gone, I'll try to make a trip there again to see if I can get some photos of the old hulk. It's not likely it has anything useful still on it, unless you might need something cast iron or otherwise resistant to corrosion, etc. Still, you might enjoy a photo or two!

Congratulations on your "new" old car! 

Congrats on the 'new' old car and welcome to the site.

You r car looks like it's in nice driver condition and you should sort it out enough to just hop in and go for a drive almost any time.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:30 PM, Big Dawg said:

as for raising the windscreen I don't believe it does have the mech. to do that. plus I have no idea where to look for it or not.lol again with the schooling on this car.

There was a handle above the driver in the panel across the top. The windscreen could be wound up an inch or two, exposing the scoop at the top of the dash to the incoming air and directing that air to the front seat floor. This is the Dodge 8 DC top panel, RH drive of course. The scoop is the curved panel above the woodgrain finish.IMG_1064.thumb.JPG.c397dd8d91bf55052f727608ffea8024.JPG

If you look below in the De Soto forum, you will see a few topics by @Mars, who has a CF.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Hi guys. Yes, that system works very well. It is identical to the ventilation on my 1927 Cadillac sedan. I use it all the time in warm or hot weather. If you lift the windshield only enough to feed the scoop at the top of the dash, that is an option which is silent and quite efficient. Lift more for an increased blend of airflow, although at the price of more noise. If you lower the two rearmost windows an inch or two, the airflow is greatly increased, of course.    -   Carl 

On 9/19/2019 at 5:23 AM, Spinneyhill said:

There was a handle above the driver in the panel across the top. The windscreen could be wound up an inch or two, exposing the scoop at the top of the dash to the incoming air and directing that air to the front seat floor. This is the Dodge 8 DC top panel, RH drive of course. The scoop is the curved panel above the woodgrain finish.IMG_1064.thumb.JPG.c397dd8d91bf55052f727608ffea8024.JPG

If you look below in the De Soto forum, you will see a few topics by @Mars, who has a CF.

I don't have that .darn it. wish I did. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 11:30 PM, Big Dawg said:

thanks all for the kind words and words of encouragement. I,m not sure about painting the wheels. I like the wood look. ill just refinish them I think over the winter in my shop.

the interior was pretty worn out. I stripped the driver door panel and found it was just covered over the original door material. both are shot but at least I got the template to use. was going to go with a camel color leather or vinyl but in this model I think it would have been a material type only so still looking for the correct material...

A quick search Mr Google's images show all 1930 DeSoto wood wheels with natural finish.  The original upholstery probably was mohair or broadcloth.

Welcome. A 1930 Desoto! You’ll fit in just fine here. Be sure to visit the. Chrysler Corp section here,  often. I poke in there and the related marquis groups, oh several times every day. 

Straight 8 Mopars seem hard to find around my parts. I’ve yet to get up close and personal to one, at a car shown even.