Jump to content

AC Speedometer and Choke plate Buick


Crazyfamily
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have several of these speedometers but they are infamous for being fragile & suffering stress cracking with aging.Contact me direct on obsolete@pnc.com.au in Australia for further information & pics if interested. The heat control panel I might still have a new example subject to digging through some cartons.Otherwise there is a fellow in California who might still have some ?.  Thanks   Anthony.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, obsolete said:

I have several of these speedometers but they are infamous for being fragile & suffering stress cracking with aging.Contact me direct on obsolete@pnc.com.au in Australia for further information & pics if interested. The heat control panel I might still have a new example subject to digging through some cartons.Otherwise there is a fellow in California who might still have some ?.  Thanks   Anthony.

 

Email sent 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I correctly recall you need to get into the early 1930's to get a dependable AC speedometer.

There is an AC speedometer in my '27 Model T and I'd love to lubricate it but as much as I'd like to I'm scared to death of it.

I went through a sour deal that wound up costing the seller AND me money as he claimed to have bought it only to flip it and the seller HE bought it from lied like a rug.

The short story is I resorted to opening it up to find out why it didn't work.

The pot metal used then is of extremely poor quality and the pot metal arch that supports the top of the spindle is very delicate.......WTH were they thinking?.........and was broken.

No repairs were possible.

There is a good discussion at that thread >>> http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/570330.html?1442436575

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cahartley said:

If I correctly recall you need to get into the early 1930's to get a dependable AC speedometer.

There is an AC speedometer in my '27 Model T and I'd love to lubricate it but as much as I'd like to I'm scared to death of it.

I went through a sour deal that wound up costing the seller AND me money as he claimed to have bought it only to flip it and the seller HE bought it from lied like a rug.

The short story is I resorted to opening it up to find out why it didn't work.

The pot metal used then is of extremely poor quality and the pot metal arch that supports the top of the spindle is very delicate.......WTH were they thinking?.........and was broken.

No repairs were possible.

There is a good discussion at that thread >>> http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/570330.html?1442436575

 

 

Yeah thats what I keep hearing, I am trying to get a hold of a correct Speedo for a 1927 Standard and maybe rebuild the inside out of a stable metal.  Just need a working speedo to maybe do so.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Greetings,

 

Just this week I reproduced a carburetor heat control choke plate in CAD for a 1927 Buick. The object is ready for 3D printing. First an evaluation piece will be made to check fitment and size correctness.

Is this something you are still looking for?

 

I'm able to reproduce various missing or broken parts. It always helps if there is an example part which can be copied.

Reproduction can also be achieved from 2/3 up close photo's or a workable solution can be made via reversed engineering.

 

Let me know if I can be of any help.

 

Regards, Matt

   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2019 at 8:31 AM, Crazyfamily said:

 

 

Yeah thats what I keep hearing, I am trying to get a hold of a correct Speedo for a 1927 Standard and maybe rebuild the inside out of a stable metal.  Just need a working speedo to maybe do so.

 

 


 

Just an update on the speedometer.  I have since found a speedometer that’s having the yoke replaced

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2019 at 1:50 AM, cahartley said:

If I correctly recall you need to get into the early 1930's to get a dependable AC speedometer.

There is an AC speedometer in my '27 Model T and I'd love to lubricate it but as much as I'd like to I'm scared to death of it.

I went through a sour deal that wound up costing the seller AND me money as he claimed to have bought it only to flip it and the seller HE bought it from lied like a rug.

The short story is I resorted to opening it up to find out why it didn't work.

The pot metal used then is of extremely poor quality and the pot metal arch that supports the top of the spindle is very delicate.......WTH were they thinking?.........and was broken.

No repairs were possible.

There is a good discussion at that thread >>> http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/570330.html?1442436575


shoot me a picture of the speedometer for your ‘27 Ford, I think I have one that’s been rebuilt and is in great condition that I bought by mistake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greetings,

 

Here are two screen snippings. As you can tell the plate I reproduced is flat. I think the original as a small bulge outwards but that will be added once the fitment is correct.

From the example's I had to work with it is difficult to determine how much of a bulge.

Back 01.PNG

front 01.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...