65 Gran Sport Steering Wheel Horn Bar Replacement Help Help

BuddyR

I need help installing a replacement steering wheel with horn bar.  I did not remove the originals so I'm flying blind.  The horn bar has 2 wires that are crimped together and feed down through the wheel to make contact with a positive-polarity plate underneath it.  Above the crimp is a loose-fitting nylon bushing.  It seems there should be a spring somewhere, or perhaps a special tool needed to accomplish this.  Can anyone here give me some advice?  - or lead me to someone  who might be able to help?  Thanks.  pchatmod@yahoo.com

Horn bar wire 1.JPG

Since no one else is chiming in i'm going to offer what my flawed memory retained. I think that the nylon bushing just interference fits into the nylon bushing in the center of the steering wheel.  No spring or anything else. If memory serves (I'm old) it is not a firm fit but there is little to nothing pulling on the connection.  Just make sure you press it in far enough to make a connection.

Also not so vivid memories, but no spring is required.  The spring generally serves to separate the horn button from its intended ground.  But doesn't that horn bar have two separate switches encased in it? 

2043817294_65hornbar.jpg.7292d28e4a98eadb546ac3b993543bb2.jpg   If so, it is attached to the steering wheel with no intended movement of the bar, but just the two individual horn buttons will move.  The springs are inside these two cases on the back of the bar. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)