In need of spring bolt bushings

Jim Kelsey

Greetings:

I am in the process of restoring my late father's 1917 Overland Model 85-6.  Before I try and make the bushings to the spring shackles, I thought I would post on this form to see if there was anything like this available.  The OD is 5/8", the ID is 1/2", and the length is 1 5/8".  Thanks.

Jim Kelsey

IMG_20190907_125215209-450x600.jpg

Jim, the shackle bolt you picture has a grease cup on the end. Where are the outlet holes on the shaft of the bolt? I'm assuming that as you tighten the grease cap it pushes grease out. I would think that you could get away with any bushing available from the company suggested by Howard or even McMaster Carr. The thing you need to address is the outlet for the grease from the bolt. That is probably the reason for the slots in the steel bushings you picture. With the dimensions you provide, I would think that any bronze or oil-lite bushing would work. HERSHEY is coming up and you might get lucky. Is there an Overland Club you can contact someone may have them.

I needed the same thing for my 1911 Hupmobile, found what I needed at the local ACE Hardware store. Those draws of nuts & bolts will have a section with metal tubes, hope they have the OD you need. The ID can be reamed to fit the bolts. I used Loctite to keep them in place and filled the voids with JB Weld.  Bob