Serpentine belt worked for fan belt on 25 Kissel Speedster

DBKissel

Hi all,

This may seem trite, but I needed a replacement fan belt for my 25 Speedster.  The original belt is leather and 1 inch wide by about 41 inches in circumference.  After some searching with no luck, I tried a current production serpentine belt with the ribs out.  It actually works!  The Fan pulley has guides to retain it, but the engine pulley has a simple raised "hump" in the center, yet it tracks and stays on.  Hope this helps someone.

A friend recently needed a belt for an early Overland, bought a piece of one inch leather, readily available in different thicknesses.  Skived top of one end and bottom of other end to get correct length, contact cemented together, then sewed glued area.  

That works too!

3 hours ago, DBKissel said:

The Fan pulley has guides to retain it, but the engine pulley has a simple raised "hump" in the center, yet it tracks and stays on.  Hope this helps someone.

Hi DBKissel,

When using a flat belt to drive a cylindrical pulley from another one, or from a capstan, only one needs to have a crown, (slight raised hump in the center), in order for the belt to run true. I have no idea when ancient engineers figured this one out.  Oh : and in case no one has yet welcomed you, let me take this opportunity to do so. A welcome as big and wide as AACA itself ! We all look forward to getting to know you and your car(s).   -   Carl 

Not sure what went wrong on my first try with a serpentine belt, but with grooves down, it came off in the first 2 miles and tore it up, so the next one went on grooves out,  Just fyi...  Thanks for the input and especially the contact for leather belts.  also the warm welcome!