Old Car Festival Photos 9-7-19

Brass is Best

5 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thank You Brass is Best!  Is that Timothy Kelly's Ford model K up there? He passed away awhile back (I was so shocked to hear about it when it happened!). Do you know who had this one there?

Wayne, I do not know who brought the K. There were 3 K's at the show. Two blue touring cars and a red roadster.

Thank you B-i-B.  I know who owns the red roadster. He is quite passionate about early ( pre-T) Ford history, and particularly the model K and Ford's racing history of those days. There was some hope of having four model K Fords at the OCF, however, I haven't heard much about that lately, so it may be that one of the cars wasn't going to be there. They did have the four Ks together last year. The model K has been given a bad reputation they do not deserve. Rob has done considerable research and found that they were well respected in there day. Tim Kelly, Rob H, A fellow in Australia (who's name I will recall later?),  Dean Y, Kim D, and a couple others are finding that a well sorted model K Ford makes a very nice tour car. Compared to most expensive cars of that time frame,  they were actually very well built (given the technology of those days), and reliable.

Enjoy the OCF! And the after.

Edited by wayne sheldon (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I have GOT to get there some year soon! Such an incredible display of fantastic automobiles! Every year, I look forward to seeing as many pictures as I can find on the several forums I haunt. I have quite a few forum friends that go often. Just gotta get there myself, preferably with one of MY cars! 

First, get one of them roadworthy.

Thank you to all that post such wonderful photos!

Edited by wayne sheldon (see edit history)

I was there for the show, attendance was down sharply from the last few years. I think the weather last year, the cold and drizzly Sunday which forced people to leave Sunday morning deterred a lot of people from coming back. Even the spectator attendance was down. It was still a very good show, for early cars it is second only to the London to Brighton Veteran car run in the UK.

That Duesenberg was amazing. I didn't drive my Locomobile there at all, the last two years, I drove the whole weekend around and around giving people rides and people remarked they wanted to ask me about it, but it was always gone from the display spot, this year I decided to just park it and talk to the folks and by yesterday afternoon, I was talked out :) I need a little sign I can stick in the grass with a short description that will answer the basic questions, I was saying "Yes, it's a steamer" in my sleep last night I think :)  

Lots of beautiful cars there, and that is one show I always try to make. They do a pretty good job handling all the exhibitors too, it really never seems jammed up. They could do a better job with a small map with three areas designated, your display spot, the check in spot and the biggie, the area where we store our haul vehicle. I live so close, this year, I just left my trailer at home and then went and got it when the show was over, I didn't have to mess with the remote parking lots and shuttle buses, it was a lot easier.

-Ron

20190907_123029_Film3 (Medium).jpg

20190908_120130_Film3 (Medium).jpg

20190908_120730_Film3 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Here is my son Ben with his 1923 Cole two person Sport Coupe.  It was a fun weekend at the festival!  It didn’t seem like attendance was down from last year to us.  In fact the judgesfield was fuller than last year.  Last year the judged field only had cars around the edges and this year there were also two full rows down the center, but who knows.  

8907D1E5-7488-47C9-9BFB-A8FDBFC40537.jpeg

7EF245EF-D80F-466F-B39A-EF87727B9FB4.jpeg

• Like 4

The front end 1900 - 1908 er so was definitely sparse compared to last year, yesterday I was the only vehicle on display for most of the day up to about 1908. 

I seen your Cole there it was really nice. My friends were commenting on it. It was right on the main street, second street up. Definitely one of the stand out vehicles.

-Ron

1 hour ago, Locomobile said:

The front end 1900 - 1908 er so was definitely sparse compared to last year, yesterday I was the only vehicle on display for most of the day up to about 1908. 

I seen your Cole there it was really nice. My friends were commenting on it. It was right on the main street, second street up. Definitely one of the stand out vehicles.

-Ron

That is too bad about the early area.  We didn’t make it up there to check things out.   It did seem like there were even more twenties and early thirties than usual.  

Thanks for for the kind words!  

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:06 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Thank you B-i-B.  I know who owns the red roadster. He is quite passionate about early ( pre-T) Ford history, and particularly the model K and Ford's racing history of those days. There was some hope of having four model K Fords at the OCF, however, I haven't heard much about that lately, so it may be that one of the cars wasn't going to be there. They did have the four Ks together last year. The model K has been given a bad reputation they do not deserve. Rob has done considerable research and found that they were well respected in there day. Tim Kelly, Rob H, A fellow in Australia (who's name I will recall later?),  Dean Y, Kim D, and a couple others are finding that a well sorted model K Ford makes a very nice tour car. Compared to most expensive cars of that time frame,  they were actually very well built (given the technology of those days), and reliable.

Enjoy the OCF! And the after.

The two in Australia that I have not seen but am aware of are were restored by Bob Trevan at Lismore NSW, who had a Ford dealership for many years,  and Francis Ransley in Northern Tasmania.  Bob Trevan's engine may have been rescued from a boat.   I am more familiar with the 6 cylinder car which is a 6 cylinder version of the Model L.   I understand this may have originally been a Ford family car.  David Dryden lives about   15 miles away from here.  All his early Fords are superb personal restorations.  He used the machine I built when he painted the wheels on the Six.  The spindle is controlled by a "Zero-max variable speed drive.   Technique is to build up the coating at a suitable spindle speed, then turn it to maximum so insects do not land on it while the paint is cross-linking.

25 minutes ago, ron hausmann said:

Here are my three Kissels that I brought to the show. There were supposedly 698 registered cars!

6590D2B2-1254-4060-A1FA-FB77309D94C3.jpeg

It was great talking to you at the show and it was so nice to see the three Kissels all next to each other.  A rare chance to see the difference in the models and years.  Excellent autos!

Edited by kfle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Spectator attendance was definitely up...the village was quite full, especially on Saturday.  I agree that the really early cars were under represented though.

Love that Packard Speedster that the Gilmore Museum brought out. Great sounding ride.

564B5747-7F3D-45E8-9F87-0AA3F863B59D.thumb.jpeg.4f57e04fabe41cddbe71c231bf28ae07.jpeg

Some cool bikes too...like this 1919 Cleveland 

1ED3DC8A-B7A3-4FCB-BD56-A6F7609FFA86.thumb.jpeg.e65396f311f40cf0b2d79360048a1a7a.jpeg

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

Ivan Saxton,

Thank you. I believe it is Bob Trevan that has the earliest surviving Ford Model K. If I recall correctly, it may be engine number two? I could be mixing that up in my memory, if I recall correctly Rob H (the red 6-40 K roadster) also has model N number two! If I recall correctly, Bob T has driven his K on quite a few ralleys in his (your) part of the world.

Wonderful cars! Well worthy of a good solid reputation. As I understand, with Bob T's and the ones on our continent, there are five tour worthy and relatively reliable model K Fords in the world! With about thirty of the 950 model Ks built still surviving, they have a much better survival rate than most cars from those years.

Locomobile, Beautiful Locomobile!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1