Thomas J. Bianculli

1940 Oil Filter Unit Color

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

I was hoping you would weigh in on this as I was wondering what the Buick Facts book would indicate.  I've looked for a copy of that book and found one, but haven't purchased it.  

I am not aware of this book which makes me a bit dumb as I have been fooling around with this car just over 50 years.  I do search eBay fairly frequently and may come up with one sooner or later.  I did pick up the 1940 Service Bulletins this way . The index shows 2 articles, page 45 discusses the leakage problem and recommends replacement, giving the part numbers for both units.  Page 139 Goes into more detail on the problem, states the colors of both units and states the serial numbers when the change occurred on all series.  The new unit cost the dealer $3.60 and the customer $6.00.  $2.40 profit in 1940 would probably be enough that every service writer or whatever they were called at that time would be eager to install one on any non-filter equipped car coming into the dealership.

I agree the black one should look better.  In my past experience, many aluminum or silver paints don't look that good as they age. Again, unless my grandson decides to drop a big pile of money on the car some time in the future it will never get past DPC so I really don't have to worry about losing points.  Before my current engine problem I was only 200 miles away from my 2,000 mile award. Wait until next year.

Since my car is about 23000 before the changeover point and I actually have documentation in the service bulletins I will continue to have an interesting discussion topic, which this thread indicates.  I would never have expected my query to generate 2 pages of replies.

Thanks  to all who have responded.  Tom

Edited by Thomas J. Bianculli
typo, @ for 2 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, kgreen said:

I was hoping you would weigh in on this as I was wondering what the Buick Facts book would indicate.  I've looked for a copy of that book and found one, but haven't purchased it.  

I just located one on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1940-Buick-Dealer-Facts-Book-ORIGINAL-over-110-pages-FEATURES-MODELS/163610922408?hash=item2617f88da8:g:cwgAAOSwrqhclUVt

From the pages shown, I am sure it is interesting, but at $199.00 Buy it Now I will go into the haven't purchased category.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas J. Bianculli said:

I just located one on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1940-Buick-Dealer-Facts-Book-ORIGINAL-over-110-pages-FEATURES-MODELS/163610922408?hash=item2617f88da8:g:cwgAAOSwrqhclUVt

From the pages shown, I am sure it is interesting, but at $199.00 Buy it Now I will go into the haven't purchased category.

Agree.  I've seen that one, too.  Just not hungry enough for the book.  Besides, Matt (@1940Super) is friendly, an excellent source and always willing to help.

You can buy a reproduction copy of 1940 buick facts from BHA which is what I did. The book must have been printed after the seamless filters started to be used. 

7 hours ago, 1940Super said:

You can buy a reproduction copy of 1940 buick facts from BHA which is what I did. The book must have been printed after the seamless filters started to be used. 

Many thanks, I have just ordered one, price was about 1/4 of the one on eBay.  I took me about 5 minutes to figure out BHA was Buick Heritage Alliance.  I was aware of them but unaware they had made so much progress and sold reproduction literature.  Most of the other books I have were purchased from Faxon.

• Like 1